Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:48:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7237989 times)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28000 on: September 14, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »

I love Medevenx's original version better than both your edits, hahaha.

yeah his original is good
Although I actually like the hair on your edit a LOT better. If he takes that hair and leaves the rest, I think its perfect.

EDIT: Also @Cyangmou fantastic job!

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28001 on: September 14, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »

instead of taking his sprite further and further away from bright bouncy anime why not just go full throttle into that

make the pose more dynamic!

emphasize the the fists more!! they are obviously important!!!

unify the palette!!!!

change up the clothing slightly so the character is all the way in Athletic Puncher territory (this was only an issue in medevenx's versions but seriously why the skirt? how u gonna fight in a skirt?? plannin on distracting people with unfortunate gusts of wind???)

big hair!!!!! make it more anime!!!!!!!

yeah!!!!!!!!!!
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28002 on: September 14, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »

hunter goood

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #28003 on: September 14, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »

@CyangmouArt mind blown. Good job

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28004 on: September 14, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »

cyang -- too awesome

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28005 on: September 14, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »

I'll address the crits of my edit one by one later as I've just got to uni, but all I did re facial structure was take off her make up and move her mouth to one side. You also have the wrong ref for what I edited, I worked off the open jacket one.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28006 on: September 14, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »

next sprite, 57 colors =)

actually I don't want to spam the thread here with the description, but if you are interested you can read it at
Deviantart
There is also a WIP-gif.

I've checked your deviant art, excellent work. Nice tutorials too!

Working on HeliBrawl
jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28007 on: September 14, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »

instead of taking his sprite further and further away from bright bouncy anime why not just go full throttle into that

make the pose more dynamic!

emphasize the the fists more!! they are obviously important!!!

unify the palette!!!!

change up the clothing slightly so the character is all the way in Athletic Puncher territory (this was only an issue in medevenx's versions but seriously why the skirt? how u gonna fight in a skirt?? plannin on distracting people with unfortunate gusts of wind???)

big hair!!!!! make it more anime!!!!!!!

yeah!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, nice! Sassy Edit!

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28008 on: September 14, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »

Thank you very much for all the tips everyone! I almost forget that there is more to designing characters than just drawing clothes on characters with a hairstyle. It needs to make sense and define the character's personality immediately.

At first I was just making a base with the character standing straight (you know, those concept art stuff), that's why the character isn't in any pose. The idle/standing animation was supposed to come after I finish the design.

1) Dynamic Pose - Here it is! Exactly as Hunter pointed out, I'm trying to go into Athletic Puncher Territory so I made the character into two poses.

2) Change in Clothing/Theming - As I'm trying to create a character that belongs in the present/not-so distant future era, an ordinary jacket may suffice. Hunter's small change in the collar emphasizes the confident and fighter-y approach in the character as stated by jtfjtfjtf. I'll try to incorporate some changes to the jacket later.

3) Avoiding Straight Lines - I guess this comes with the more dynamic the pose, the less the straight lines. Avoiding a straight body for a stance makes the character less static. I also made her less cross-eyed by making her face the right direction.

4) Less Sexualism (?) - Less skin and less girly stuff like skirts and cleavage and whatnot makes the character appear stronger and whatnot.

5) Weapon of Choice (Gloves) - With her gloves being her most defining feature (right after her hair probably), I started to make some designs on it before heading to the newer sprite.

6) Unifying the Palette - I noticed that most of the colors in Hunter's sprite that some of the hues were close for most colors (this is perhaps for a colored silhouette to also help identify the character) but I think I will do this in the final stages of the sprite.

Here's a part I'm rather confused with, which pose to choose or should I make something totally different?

Canned Turkey
« Reply #28009 on: September 14, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »

Tri-Post of some work I've done recently.

Shameless self advertising goes here: facebook.com/weeklypixelart
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28010 on: September 14, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »

^ Awesome and effective, well done Smiley

Here's a thing I done

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28011 on: September 14, 2014, 10:18:29 PM »

Ok back, sorry for derailing a bit here :^)

@Med: gggfhfdh's edit shows another direction you could take it which is pretty fun, props for that.

The new stuff is great, much more dynamic though her face is still reading very "bored". For the pose; if she's going to fight unarmed, check out some martial arts or boxing vids for stance/posture ref. The new stuff is much more interesting but looks like her body is twisted a bit much for her back arm to be very useful in attacking or defending.

@Catguy: firstly, wow, the salt is real huh? Feel free to remind me what I did to hurt your feelings.

Secondly, you seem to have missed that I was editing/addressing the original, not the edit he made. Here it is for reference.

Addressing the tldr:
"What you need to do is make her arms twice the length of her body, pillowshade all her clothes, and change her hairstyle and facial structure arbitrarily to one in an entirely different style"
I kept the arms the same length as in the original. The pillow shading on the shoulder might be an issue. Re: arbitrary changes in style - sort of like a different artist was giving pointers in his own design language for illustration, rather than integrating exactly with the given world, huh? As I said the only face changes I made were removing eye makeup and pulling the mouth back a bit; the eyebrows are hardly a structural change.

Addressing the points 1 by 1:

a- You have to have a dorky, cut at the farm bob in order to be a strong woman now? holy shit. That is heartbreakingly regressive (and ugly) + It's an anime hairstyle anyway, graphic design > weight and structure. On the face: lack of shading in her eye and 1px eyeshadow have completely changed the intent of the character and look blah. We can go with the more plausible anatomy and less crosseyed look while retaining the original design choices.
I have no idea where you got the assertion that you "have to" have a bob to be a strong woman, just asserted that that hairstyle is associated with the traits I listed (which I believe it is).

gggfhfdh's edits pull the hair in a nice interesting directoin, and that's fine. I simply didn't like the original hair, so I removed it.
Re: the makeup removal - stylistic choice on my part, deal with it.
Re: the eye shading - it's not there in the version I edited.

b- the gloves are her definining characteristic, put them back. On gloves: I think your edit may actually have more skin showing than the original. Why are her arms bare, save for fingerless gloves?
Again, I didn't edit the one you linked, I edited the original. I kept the gloves from that version.

I added a tiny bit of length to the shorts and that's about it, I mentioned the thigh window as a reference to the second version because I felt it was an example of inappropriate wardrobe choices. Absolute amount of skin showing is also reasonably irrelevant when you compare amount of thigh to amount of arm, especially with the arms this large stylistically.

c- Geti what is with those highlights are you insane. On color: I admire how much you re-used that one brown tone from skin shadowing, to clothing shading, but it's loaded up a bit too heavy I think -- presents weird clustering issues with the far arm. nuked. Still on color: why is her shirt shading just another near black? We dont need two different blacks.
Because I edited the original using the colours from there. They were all there. In the one I edited. Which highlights are you talking about re: insanity? none of it looks particularly mental to me.

d- a fucking sword? we have to add a giant sword to show intent? "This is swordgirl, she sword". Yuck. Subtlety is grace.
Oh sorry, I must be living in bizarro world where edged weapons somewhere between a dagger and a short sword aren't considered giant, and where giving fighting characters something to fight with helps with visually identifying their purpose and introducing some variation into their stances and silhouette. Silly me.

This is game art, subtlety is obfuscation.

Seriously though, what'd I do? I don't remembering spitting in your drink.

Either way I've got something in my pocket for you :^)

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28012 on: September 14, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »

lol easy tiger. I finished the sprite using the second pose then tried some color variations. Which do you think is better?

Is the face still bored?

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28013 on: September 14, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »

wow geti, you're

a: super wrong and

b: kindof a dick.

med th@s great. I prefer the left one. Depends on context.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:48:16 PM by Catguy » Logged

jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28014 on: September 14, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »

Here's a part I'm rather confused with, which pose to choose or should I make something totally different?

Since you're good at animations I think an animation would be cool going from standing pose to fighting pose. Like those pre-fight animations in street fighter games. Your character reminds me a little of Makoto from street fighter but more street brawler.

@Geti I think with your edit it changed certain things about the character a lot. The haircut drops her age and experience. Her original hair is pretty unique, it's something she owns. A general short in-betweener boyish girl haircut is something for a girl who just decided she doesn't want to live a girly life. It's like one of those typical scenes where a girl has a ponytail or a braid and it's all dramatic and she gets a knife and cuts it off severing any chance of getting married and being a house wife. For the original, that could have happened a while ago. But now she has a haircut that's all hers and that's built on gained experience of being her own person.
As for the knife, that changes what kind of fighter she is. Knives are typically associated with sneaks, rogues, spies, assassins, thieves. Quick fighters who are agile and sneaky. Going back to street fighter, compare Vega (with the hand claw) with Makoto. Very different fighting styles.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28015 on: September 14, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »

Still a little blank looking but not really "bored", and certainly better than when it was cross-eyed. Don't be afraid to get some more emotion in there if you want it though; angry or cheerful. Current face would be good for a silent protagonist or someone focussed in unemotional combat.

The rendering on this is much better either way; the new hand/glove/arm design works. Still not sure on the practical usefulness of the pose (turned further than 90 degrees from what you're facing) but it's certainly more dynamic. Could also work for a mid-animation frame for a roundhouse punch with the backward hand I guess.

@catguy: ok dude.

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #28016 on: September 14, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »

The sword looks totally out of place, she looks like her body has been warped by years of living in a world without gravity. Her arms are basically two thick noodles with a spike tied to one of the ends.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28017 on: September 14, 2014, 11:02:37 PM »

So my only issue with your original post was that the art was bad, and you were presenting it condescendingly to another artist as if you had a position of authority. Offering a paintover should be about helping an artist grow and improve, not using it as a soapbox to make arbitrary stylistic choices and take control of their design.

Learn how to take critiques without devolving into a page long diatribe aggressively defending yourself -- if you reacted that way to me over your own art it'd be embarrassing, but considering you're angrily defending the changes you  made to someone else's design you seem very much out of line.

ps do you realize you actually used someone else's sprite to draw it flipping me off, that's like

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28018 on: September 14, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »

Original post was not intended as condescending at all, and while I'm sorry it rubbed you the wrong way so badly, you didn't elaborate on what was pissing you off.

Like every other edit I provide here and elsewhere, it was literally just meant to help him. Taking control of his design would be what I'd do if I was his boss and ordered him to do fall in line with me. I was and am just providing a perspective on how I'd approach it, and him ignoring that is totally fine.

Response to you was "angry" because a bunch of your criticism was based on the assumption I was editing the purple edit (eye shading, gloves, skin showing) and because you included salt in with your criticism ("you have to <blah> strong woman now? holy shit. this is heartbreakingly regressive and ugly" "a fucking sword?"). I didn't start the aggression here.

Yeah, I flipped you off with his character. You came in, suggested I was antifeminist, called everything in the edit ugly for a few minutes and then provided a lazy broken outline 5 second job and held it up as better and attacked my motivations for providing the edit in the first place. Up yours.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28019 on: September 14, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Pages: 1 ... 1399 1400 [1401] 1402 1403 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic