Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:22:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7284330 times)
ghoulkid86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28020 on: September 14, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »

Very fitting for this page Smiley

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28021 on: September 15, 2014, 06:12:46 AM »

geti fwiw its at the very least incredibly useless to make an edit of someones work in order to show how to fix something if you're not at least going to work toward making the end result look *somewhat* similar

your edit isnt even the same character, its a different person in a different style yelling about how you need to look at this orange in order to figure out why your apple is bruised and green
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28022 on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »

If you ladies want to keep fighting can you at least do it in a pool full of mud?

Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28023 on: September 15, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »

I have to say I found both geti's edit and catguys's edit really ugly.

I think geti was slightly off form with the hair change and offered it as an absolute improvement, whilst adding that the original hair is bad (that's how it came across to me). Although it seems to be simply a dislike of strange anime "unrealistic" haircuts, which fine by itself, it shouldn't be projected onto others. Lastly adding a sword was really odd as the original showed no signs of being a heroic character, I get that you added a sword to give that edge, but it felt to me as though the original could have been a non-action/combat pose or even an NPC. However geti did address the some key issues such as the fact that the original is cross-eyed and the original pose is formless and bland and there was no intention shown in the character if it was intended to be a heroic character, all of these points I think are all valid crits.

Catguy said in his own way that the sword changed the character completely and lacked subtlety, and he even started off quite nicely by stating the massive style change and poor form, but then quickly devolved into nasty comments and jabs. I have to admit that even I was unaware that geti's edit was to the original, due to when it was posted, but this does make the comments on the costume and the gloves irrelevant. But Catguy does add to the discourse by properly identify that the (new) gloves are the characters 'heroic edge' and should be given more weight. And Catguy shoots himself by attacking geti's stylistic changes and then himself attacks geti's stylistic choice of having bright hair highlights, full circle.

So I say Catguy: "kindof a dick"... But he made some decent points, if only he could have expressed them without slinging shit. Additionally catguy says "you were presenting it condescendingly to another artist as if you had a position of authority." But gggfhfdh is waay more authoritative "do this!" "do that!!!" "and this thing!!" "skirt? you're having a laugh! wtf bro!", and then you praise that just because the art is good. That's a bit of a double standard.

And gggfhfdh fwiw I agree that edits should stick to the same style as best you can and what you said makes sense, but I think that you could have made that last post less condescendingly.

Lastly geti, I thought you would know by now to not respond to negative and poorly worded crits in the same vein.

Here is halfway to getisburg, which I think is geti's edit + Catguy's critiques of geti's, done to try and rectify the mistakes I think geti made:

It's a bit redundant as gggfhfdh's edit was much better, and Medevenx has improved past this point but whatever.

...That boob pixel might have been a mistake but I didn't think it looked right without it, whatever.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:33:11 AM by Lee » Logged
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28024 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »

geti's reaction aside, I'm honestly unclear on what I said that was so mean. I called the highlights 'insane' (because they're a complete 180 stylistic divergence, and also don't really make sense in any other rendering style) and teased him about the sword.

From my perspective the original post wasn't personal, it was calling you out for the action of authoritatively giving bad advice: It should not be taken as an assault if I tell you that you made a bad design decision, especially in the context of you pushing those design deicisions on someone else.

Basically done arguing about this in public unless the discussion remains relevant to actual artwork/culture in this thread (although, realistically, I'm sure you can rope me back in) but if you wanna talk geti you can PM me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(there's no double standard about tone -- hunter's tongue in cheek enthusiasm is not the same as condescending about decisions. He never told med he was wrong or attempted to assert authority, he showed something fun. Plus: the art WAS good.)

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28025 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »

Let's post some art and get this back on track.

I did these for a client last year. Can't get in touch with them anymore and presume the project to be dead. 64x64 sprites & 24x24 icons in a painterly/not traditional-pixel art style. Some gold box games (and eye of the beholder) were distant inspirations.

Everything made in super close-coordination with them to fit their stylistic vision. Lots of stuff was on a super tight budget for time, so some corners ended up getting cut in places.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:16:08 AM by Catguy » Logged

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28026 on: September 15, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »

Lastly adding a sword was really odd as the original showed no signs of being a heroic character, I get that you added a sword to give that edge, but it felt to me as though the original could have been a non-action/combat pose or even an NPC. However geti did address the some key issues such as the fact that the original is cross-eyed and the original pose is formless and bland and there was no intention shown in the character if it was intended to be a heroic character, all of these points I think are all valid crits.

This is actually very true. I never stated the character was a hero, it was purely character design practice. The non-action/combat pose is precisely why I didn't give the character too much emotion. While of course, emotion will come in certain animations such as attacks, getting hurt, etc.

Here is halfway to getisburg, which I think is geti's edit + Catguy's critiques of geti's, done to try and rectify the mistakes I think geti made:

It's a bit redundant as gggfhfdh's edit was much better, and Medevenx has improved past this point but whatever.

...That boob pixel might have been a mistake but I didn't think it looked right without it, whatever.

The boob pixel has also been in my attempts at the sprite but I definitely chose to do it the same way Hunter did for the breast area.

A little animation progress here.

Here's a little thing I'd like to ask. In my previous rendition, I used a strong blue for the pants, gloves, etc. However, I've previously learned from character design that there should be some complementary colors that may exist inside the character's designs or at least exist inside the character's world. With my character's design of a fixed green hair color, I inverted the color and got a pink-ish color. That is what I used for the vest. Of course we shade that so I use a darker tone for the vest and in turn, I inverted that and received a (teal?) color. I used that for the pants instead of the original blue I had. Am I doing that right?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:06:10 AM by Medevenx » Logged

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28027 on: September 15, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »

I feel so bad posting this here, you people are so good. Anyway I am making a minimal character for a platformer.
Which one is fine  Undecided?

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28028 on: September 15, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »

I did these for a client last year. Can't get in touch with them anymore and presume the project to be dead. 64x64 sprites & 24x24 icons in a painterly/not traditional-pixel art style. Some gold box games (and eye of the beholder) were distant inspirations.
I was applying at the same job and was rejected. Its nice to see I lost to a worthy opponent.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28029 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:10 AM »

I feel so bad posting this here, you people are so good. Anyway I am making a minimal character for a platformer.

The third one looks a lot like the bit trip runner character!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28030 on: September 15, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »

The third one looks a lot like the bit trip runner character!

haha yea, i am probably not gonna use that one

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28031 on: September 15, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »

@Catguy That art is soooo goooood. Shame it didn't get used Sad

Cranky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28032 on: September 15, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »

A little animation progress here.

I was thinking that she had guns for her hands megaman style but guessing from that zoomed in image, those are supposed to be gauntlets of some sort? Kinda hard to read what exactly is going on with her hands, but that might not be in issue ingame once you see her in a different pose.

I liked the blue color scheme better, but its hard to say without seeing her in a mockup or something.

jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28033 on: September 15, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »

1 gives off the most human feeling, it's got a neck, legs and potentially arms hanging at the side. I do think if it's supposed to be cute 3 is good. It looks like a penguin with its short feet and stubby arms.

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28034 on: September 15, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »

i'll post this here too i gues s
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #28035 on: September 15, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »

In all the noise I completely missed this thing here. I really like the face changes, especially on the first one.

I can see the body is unfinished in #1 but I wanted to ask about the face, why did you change the saturation so much, add the bright pupil and why the square cheek?

Dope hair and mouth.

Edit: to further elaborate, I think the round face makes her more identifiable/symbolic while the square makes her more specific, which is why i think i don't like it. I like your face changes because you brought the eyelashes under control and made good use of the space to bring out the mouth and nose. Would still like to understand the contrast decision on #3.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:07:59 PM by standardcombo » Logged

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28036 on: September 15, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »

The last one!

Mainly because he's the cutest and has basic facial features, but also because he doesn't immediately look like bonks-his-head-a-lot form Bit Trip Runner.

Serving up two more portraits for this one private thing, same as the ones before.

(← new art twitter)
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28037 on: September 15, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »

In all the noise I completely missed this thing here. I really like the face changes, especially on the first one.

I can see the body is unfinished in #1 but I wanted to ask about the face, why did you change the saturation so much, add the bright pupil and why the square cheek?

Dope hair and mouth.
the blue struck me as a little bit too dark so i brightened that up (i had to lighten up the base shade to compensate for the lack of contrast too)

i dulled out the hair a bit because it kind of hurt my eyes on this monitor but that's probably just a monitor specific thing

and then i turned the red a bit more toward purple to match everything else - the major areas in the character use cool colors so having the red in stark contrast with that creates too much of a clash between the skin/shirt/jacket and the hair/gloves i m o

the changes to the face were just preferences though - the first one was as close to the original as possible while dealing w/ the issues i had
then i just started making more changes
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #28038 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »

As a platformer, the first question that comes to my mind is, what's the perspective? In a vacuum I'd pick #1 but don't know how it would look if he's facing the camera and running sideways.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28039 on: September 15, 2014, 02:24:57 PM »

Mig - nice portraits! I'm not a fan of the single pixel highlights tho. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic