Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:53:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 [1462] 1463 1464 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7280770 times)
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29220 on: March 02, 2015, 03:24:37 PM »

So if i read correctly, what that means is that i would keep the silhouette static, essentially keeping the dude from moving, whilst changing the colours instead? Or would it still require the actual silhouette moving as well? Would that still be able to convey the level of movement shown in my previous attempt? Just want to know whether that possible with sub pixel animation.

A bit of both. The idea is to give subtlety with a very small movement of the shape. Combine colour and shape movement. Colour is a good way of doing an in-between step, step impossible to do by moving the shape only: there's just not enough pixels!

As an example, here is a goblin I made. Not the best example in the world, but here is how I used it to give more life to a very small sprite.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29221 on: March 02, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »

THAT level, it's going to be hard. But getting more subtlety and fluidity, definitely.
Ever heard of "sub pixel animation"? The base principle is, as you have a very small amount of pixel, instead of moving the silhouette of your object, move the colours inside! Metal slug used this principle a lot. Here is a useful link to understand the concept:

http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/

I didn't realize Metal Slug used sub-pixel animation, although I probably should have, I can't think of a game that has better animated pixel art.

I did this a while ago and just finished fixing some stuff with it.

(speaking of subpixeling this could probably do with some)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29222 on: March 02, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »

^ That's really well animated. Nice and smooth. Kinda weird that he's wielding it from the top rather than the base; nice pixeling, anyway.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29223 on: March 03, 2015, 12:47:19 AM »

Is that a conscious visual reference to

? :D
Zanhuf
« Reply #29224 on: March 03, 2015, 05:48:47 AM »

So if i read correctly, what that means is that i would keep the silhouette static, essentially keeping the dude from moving, whilst changing the colours instead? Or would it still require the actual silhouette moving as well? Would that still be able to convey the level of movement shown in my previous attempt? Just want to know whether that possible with sub pixel animation.

A bit of both. The idea is to give subtlety with a very small movement of the shape. Combine colour and shape movement. Colour is a good way of doing an in-between step, step impossible to do by moving the shape only: there's just not enough pixels!

As an example, here is a goblin I made. Not the best example in the world, but here is how I used it to give more life to a very small sprite.

Thanks for the advice and the example.

I'm struggling to understand it, but i did try putting it into practice (albeit in an extremely wip attwempt):

Apologies if i've misunderstood, if i have just point it out to me sorry.
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29225 on: March 03, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #29226 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:32 PM »

thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:05:38 AM by cwearly1 » Logged

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29227 on: March 04, 2015, 02:08:26 AM »

^ love dis. epic gameboy vibe

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #29228 on: March 04, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »

Just something I might work on as a side project.

atmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29229 on: March 05, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »

It's been a while since my last post here, but man you guys rock. Some really awesome pixel work from you guys!

Yeap, he is not wearing any pants.

Cheers

Alicecomma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29230 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »

Made this listening to some hardstyle. Inspiration can be weird sometimes.

And some good old pixelart smoketrails.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:10:39 PM by Alicecomma » Logged
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29231 on: March 06, 2015, 02:55:51 PM »

Potential boss, or just practice. Inspired by mega man.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29232 on: March 06, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »

Potential boss, or just practice. Inspired by mega man.

i dig it. make more of this.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29233 on: March 07, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »

i dig it. make more of this.

You can't tell me what to do.

Anyways here's more of that. Cross post from my devlog but I figured it could go here too.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29234 on: March 07, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »

Some kind of colorful, elemental Kirby-esque thing:

Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29235 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »

Made this listening to some hardstyle. Inspiration can be weird sometimes.

And some good old pixelart smoketrails.

I like this a lot. The first one reminds me of the comic cages by davemckean.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29236 on: March 07, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »

@blekdar - Real nice; solid Megaman-like enemies, haha. I can just see him shooting stuff out of that mouth hatch.

Neo Geo Pocket Fighter-esque over on Pixel Dailies.

Animation's all "slide-y", unfortunately. Also the shirt's shadow is kinda crappy.

Also, not sure if I posted this before. I did a commission for album art for a someone else's song; the song turned out really good. Click on the pic to check it.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:24:12 AM by SolarLune » Logged

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29237 on: March 08, 2015, 06:46:36 AM »

Ahhhhhh I saw that one on twitter! Dude you did an awesome job on that one. Looks even better in GIF form!

FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29238 on: March 08, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »

Is that a conscious visual reference to

? :D
Even though it looks exactly like a conscious visual reference to that I actually had never seen it before - thanks for showing me something by Lou Reed I hadn't seen though - not to mention the sweet animation(reminds me a bit of Starbarians actually).
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #29239 on: March 08, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »

Animation's all "slide-y", unfortunately. Also the shirt's shadow is kinda crappy.

Looks okay to me despite that. If you keep working on it, maybe make it more "bouncy" for lack of a better word, kinda like you did for just the hair.

I've been contemplating making an Android game entirely on said Android, just to see if I can. Unfortunately, AFAIK there's no really good vector art graphics for Android so I'm pretty much forced into a pixel art style. ...and I am constantly reminded of how ugly my pixels are, just look at this:

...me legit trying by the way, was made on my Android, cropped it and scaled it up for better viewing on my computer. I mean, it's passable, but nothing I'm proud of by any means. I'll probably have to lengthen the arms and change the contrast in the second eye shade (I could see it fine on my droid, but it's barely visible on my laptop)I'm not even sure if a Chomp game is what I'm going to go with, as I'm stuck between two different game ideas I've wanted to make for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 [1462] 1463 1464 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic