Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:10:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7287055 times)
Zanhuf
« Reply #29340 on: April 03, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »

As usual, amazing quality of work in this thread, always surprised when i visit!

Haven't done much as of late sadly, but here's some of what i've done:

Still messing about with idle animation, here's an example:

I'm trying to make different units for each of (currently)four factions, as of now each faction is denoted by a differing colour, sort of like in Advance Wars, although im also wanting the appearances to be visually different as well, so one can tell immediately (and not just because of said faction's colour).

Some more below (Sorry for the unused space, still trying think of more units to make):

More attempts at improving previous attack animatios below.

One handed: Should probably be faster, but i am worried if i increase the speed it'll look too fast.

Two-handed sword:

Two-handed non-sword attack:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29341 on: April 03, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »

I'm trying to make different units for each of (currently)four factions, as of now each faction is denoted by a differing colour, sort of like in Advance Wars, although im also wanting the appearances to be visually different as well, so one can tell immediately (and not just because of said faction's colour).

This is looking cool. The one-handed sword swing animation looks a little limp, but it's pretty good overall.

You should know, though, that a reason why Advance Wars worked well  in terms of its units was because of a few reasons:

1) Each unit looked somewhat different (which was great).

2) Each unit also shared enough similarities with the same unit in other nations to be recognizable (i.e. the Green Moon tank looked a lot like the Yellow Clover tank, haha).

3) Each unit looked different from each other unit in such a way that you could recognize the type regardless of nation (i.e. a Medium Tank looked like a Medium Tank, regardless of which Nation's it was).

A lot of this had to do with shapes and sizes. The reason I'm pointing this out is because your units kind of look similar to each other. Whereas AW had different kinds of units, you only (so far) have a lot of human units, so you have to work harder to differentiate them and make their classes more obvious.

For example, your knights, if they're your heavy hitters, could be considerably taller and wider, with more armor to make them visually distinctive. Your scouts could have on dark clothes, for example, and your bombers or mechanics could have backpacks or goggles, for example. The characters could have different stances depending on their class. Just some ideas; what you have so far is pretty great, it's just that you want it to be obvious what classes do what, no matter the "race".

I like the bobbing idle, though. It reminds me of Paper Mario, heh.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29342 on: April 03, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »

Working on graphics for an RTS game.
Here are some buildings I've been trying to animate.

Will probably keep on animating these for a bit longer before I go on to animating the units, as hard and metallic objects are just so much easier to animate than fleshy blobs Tongue

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #29343 on: April 03, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »

a tree

@catghost: man, what a good palette. i really love the coloring and lighting on that

Kiss I love it...
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29344 on: April 03, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »

Will probably keep on animating these for a bit longer before I go on to animating the units, as hard and metallic objects are just so much easier to animate than fleshy blobs Tongue

Gorgeous but i can't see that as graphics for an Rts game. Seems more appropriate for like an alien platformer background.
Zanhuf
« Reply #29345 on: April 04, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »

This is looking cool. The one-handed sword swing animation looks a little limp, but it's pretty good overall.

You should know, though, that a reason why Advance Wars worked well  in terms of its units was because of a few reasons:

1) Each unit looked somewhat different (which was great).

2) Each unit also shared enough similarities with the same unit in other nations to be recognizable (i.e. the Green Moon tank looked a lot like the Yellow Clover tank, haha).

3) Each unit looked different from each other unit in such a way that you could recognize the type regardless of nation (i.e. a Medium Tank looked like a Medium Tank, regardless of which Nation's it was).

A lot of this had to do with shapes and sizes. The reason I'm pointing this out is because your units kind of look similar to each other. Whereas AW had different kinds of units, you only (so far) have a lot of human units, so you have to work harder to differentiate them and make their classes more obvious.

For example, your knights, if they're your heavy hitters, could be considerably taller and wider, with more armor to make them visually distinctive. Your scouts could have on dark clothes, for example, and your bombers or mechanics could have backpacks or goggles, for example. The characters could have different stances depending on their class. Just some ideas; what you have so far is pretty great, it's just that you want it to be obvious what classes do what, no matter the "race".

I like the bobbing idle, though. It reminds me of Paper Mario, heh.

Thanks for the advice and critique! I should have mentioned that im trying to keep animations and character sizes under 32X32, but i will definitely try reducing the size of non-melee classes. Maybe the comparison to AW was wrong, my intention was a class system similar to Final Fantasy Tactics (and advance 1+2) with AW's mechanic of having 4 differing factions differentiated by colour (but also wanted to make them visually unique so they didn't just look stock).

To put it another way, the Green faction (Barbarians) wouldn't necessarily have a knight, whilst the blue and Purple would, they'd have their own equivalent, sort of like how the Bangaa in FF Tactics Advance didn't have access to human jobs, but had their own, unique versions that were similar, like the fighter for human and the Bangaa's having the gladitator class. Does that uh, make any sense? Sorry if it's convoluted, i probably didn't explain my intent/ideas very well.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29346 on: April 04, 2015, 12:30:47 AM »

Gorgeous but i can't see that as graphics for an Rts game. Seems more appropriate for like an alien platformer background.

Thanks, Bakkusa!
Yeah, I've heard that from other people as well Shrug
For now, I'm trucking on and trying to make it an RTS, but if the programmer on my team bails out I might consider re-appropriating the graphics for something else.

Maybe it helps seeing some of the units together with the stuff:

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29347 on: April 04, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »

Shawny
Level 5

<3

View Profile
« Reply #29348 on: April 04, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:44:22 PM by Shawny » Logged

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29349 on: April 05, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »

The little characters are so cute. interested to see where it goes ^^.

I want to see the girl in motion  !
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:09:50 AM by bakkusa » Logged
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #29350 on: April 05, 2015, 01:50:32 PM »

Pretty crazy how my pixel art skills have improved, over the last few months.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29351 on: April 05, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »

Still room for improvement, a lot of banding happening. Still, huge difference man  Gentleman
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #29352 on: April 05, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »

Bueno Bueno..
Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29353 on: April 05, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »

Love these.

some peeps

inca
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29354 on: April 05, 2015, 11:46:50 PM »

relearning how2sprite

SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29355 on: April 06, 2015, 02:46:13 PM »

Sorta pixel art... https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/585172288846303232

Bass-Windu
Level 0

I like making pixel art. Not that good though.

View Profile
« Reply #29356 on: April 07, 2015, 02:55:23 AM »

I love all of these highly detailed sprites that pop up occasionally that have almost a colossi look about them, but I feel like they'd be an absolute nightmare to draw, let alone animate. So props to the artists for being complete machines!  Tongue

"Dude, just chill." - Abraham Lincoln
Alicecomma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29357 on: April 07, 2015, 06:39:39 AM »

"Steel"

"Hats"

Keeping up with the pixel_dailies (@Alicecomma). I try to have as little repetitiveness in my entries by switching up the style with each of them.

The Steel entry uses nothing but grey neutralizers, two colourpicked skycolours and three single-colour pixel filters.

The Hats entry uses a four colour palette I generated with Pixelfor.me's Color Ramp Creator.
eliasdaler
« Reply #29358 on: April 08, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »

This is Alan the Blasterous. He loves bombs.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29359 on: April 10, 2015, 05:11:23 PM »

I don't practice environments enough.

Here's a cubey tree. 32x48 upscaled 4x.

Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic