Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1065770 Posts in 43487 Topics- by 35505 Members - Latest Member: Bambuman

November 23, 2014, 04:02:35 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtshow us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1438
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 3056331 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20720 on: December 16, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »

so

fucking

awesome

and adorable  Kiss Kiss

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20721 on: December 16, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »

Very nice, but I think the bison (especially with the dark shadow areas) doesn't fit into the same style as the rest of the image.

SpaceHero Command ... In Development
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23173.0
SnakeCoiler
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20722 on: December 16, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »

Very nice, but I think the bison (especially with the dark shadow areas) doesn't fit into the same style as the rest of the image.

I think it's fine, adds contrast.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #20723 on: December 16, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »

That's one slick looking bison.
Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20724 on: December 16, 2012, 11:49:59 PM »

Awh thanks! The standard of work from everyone here is really high so I'm glad you like it. I understand what you mean about the contrast between the bison and the background, it was a concern of mine too. I did play around with it but it looked washed out if I reduced it. If you take a look at photographs of bison in the snow too they really do stick out a lot. They travel in large herds so they don't have any need to hide, especially at that size!

I tried to use the wind to push him back into the scene, maybe I could make that brighter?

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20725 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:28 AM »

Beautiful work. If you want to work on color/contrast of the Bison (which it seems that you've tried to do from what you say), another possibility is putting some darker objects behind the Bison. Trees and bushes are dark in those photos too. Also, raising the contrast of the wolves might help.

For me, the contrast is more about art style than color. The wolves and bison are both beautiful, but the wolves are definitely more simplistic in both shading and shape. But as Snake Chair mentioned, it can be appealing in its own way. It's up to you since this is your learning exercise.

Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20726 on: December 17, 2012, 06:33:54 AM »

Beautiful work. If you want to work on color/contrast of the Bison (which it seems that you've tried to do from what you say), another possibility is putting some darker objects behind the Bison. Trees and bushes are dark in those photos too. Also, raising the contrast of the wolves might help.

For me, the contrast is more about art style than color. The wolves and bison are both beautiful, but the wolves are definitely more simplistic in both shading and shape. But as Snake Chair mentioned, it can be appealing in its own way. It's up to you since this is your learning exercise.

Thanks!

I know what you mean about it being more style than colour, that pretty much sums up what I'm trying to figure out. I tried making the bison more simplistic to better match the wolves, but it didn't look right for such a large animal, he didn't hold much of his shape and just turned into a brown blob, so maybe I should add some more complexity/contrast into the wolf fur instead. Maybe even just a simple shadow around his legs/belly would help to sync them up.

Cellusious
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20727 on: December 17, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »

exactly what i was thinking on.
it' doesn't really fit.

Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20728 on: December 17, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

This is the first time I ever try to do pixel art. I have no idea what I'm doing.

This was for the Ludum Dare before I bailed (party + hangover is not good for productivity). The game was going to be called something like "The evil capitalist mosquito and her evil minion flies". The mosquito realizes she can outsource blood-sucking to flies with proper equipment (something like a back container and a vacuum hose with a needle), so she would have excess blood to sell and become rich. Kinda weird for the theme, but I like random stuff like this Shrug

Code_Assassin
Level 5

ok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20729 on: December 17, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »

snip

That's good for a first(mine was horrible - since then I have never attempted to do it again). I think the wings need more detail - but from a noobs perspective(I have no idea what I'm doing either when it comes to pixel art! Tongue), you used the technique of dithering pretty well.

mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

steampunkowl@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #20730 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »

someone help me make this not look like shit ugh.

I know the upswing looks weird but he needs to end in with an upswing to bring the hammer back to that ending pose.

Frames:
J. R. Hill
Level 10

The perfect farmer's tan.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20731 on: December 17, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

The problem you see is that you establish a ton of momentum with those blur frames, then slow the motion both on the upswing and the forward swing.  Basically you've got the acceleration backward.  The easiest fix is to just start removing frames.

Try removing and adding these frames:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 (5) 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Or if by ending pose you mean frame 0, then reduce the blur effect on the final frame, but change the delay on frame 0 so that it can be seen as a stopping point.

hi
mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

steampunkowl@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #20732 on: December 17, 2012, 08:12:07 PM »

Like this? I actually made the blur bigger because I needed to show that the attack has a slightly longish range without actually making the hammer longer.

Frames (the animated one has several frames deleted):
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:17:28 PM by mozzy » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

Hmm.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20733 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »

I think it's odd in the first one because I can't quite see what attack he's doing. Is he swinging it just once, like raising it and then arcing it like a bat, or is he swinging multiple times? I think you shouldn't blur the upswing (unless that is part of the attack) and just draw the frames normally. Think of it like a bat - raise it up slowly, since it's heavy, then swing it around and forward, and keep the guy's back arched backward, like it's pulling him.

An easier way to animate it might be to just slam the hammer forward overhead, or swing it around while spinning his whole body, Kirby-style.

EDIT: That's my theory, anyway.

mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

steampunkowl@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #20734 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »

Its a 3 part attack. He swings the hammer downwards, then swings it horizontally, then swings it back up. So yeah, the upswing is a part of the attack. I considered doing just a single forward hammer attack, but it would just move too slowly for the style of game im making it for.
AMAZON
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #20735 on: December 17, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »

yeah i think a lot of the trouble is that its really hard to tell what he's actually doing. the motion blur indicates that he is attacking to the left, but the hammer extends much further on the backswing than the actual attack, which is really confusing in the animation itself. on top of that, the continuity between the attacks is a little weird. it doesnt really make much sense to spin the hammer around then end with a weird uppercut thingy, and it kind of detracts from the weight you are trying to give the hammer.

ClayB
« Reply #20736 on: December 17, 2012, 11:36:34 PM »

i dunno much about animating, but i think some rearranging of the frames reads better:

hope that helps? still room for improvement, as i just rearranged stuff
Brother Android
Level 10

A poor boy, my story seldom told.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20737 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »

This is an edited version of an image that I posted last week, along with a new picture showing a wolf sizing up a bison. I'm working hard trying to figure out a style for myself, and have really been enjoying working on the animals so far. What do you think?

This is really amazing work. The style and colors of the landscapey bits really evoke a certain desolate part of the world... I'm reminded of the time I went to Yellowstone National Park in May and there was a blizzard. The atmosphere is thick and distinctive and it manages to be a bit cartoony without feeling at all silly. My only issue is that the wolf in the second one has the exact same pose as one of the wolves in the first one, which comes out looking a bit cheap when the pictures are right next to each other.

mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

steampunkowl@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #20738 on: December 18, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »

Is this any better? I decided to take out the upswing as a part of the attack and instead, replaced it with a hammer jab. So it goes swing downwards, swing left, then jab forward. Then the brings the hammer back up to restart the cycle.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:09:02 AM by mozzy » Logged
Slow
Level 1

chirp

View Profile
« Reply #20739 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »

It needs more trails and less frames in my opinion. And the trails need to be wider. I think Zero In MMZ has the perfect reference.

Sort of what I'm talking about. I dunno. The .gif may or may not be slowed down/sped up.
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1438
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic