Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1036400 Posts in 41835 Topics- by 33449 Members - Latest Member: Banananananana

August 27, 2014, 12:59:38 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtshow us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1421 1422 [1423] 1424 1425 ... 1865
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 2866747 times)
Armageddon
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #21330 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »

From a technical side I think that would be really cool to see in action, Hotline Miami style top-down maybe?
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21331 on: January 25, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »

From a technical side I think that would be really cool to see in action, Hotline Miami style top-down maybe?
Top down, yes.
Hotline Miami, probably not.

See the game is currently a generic zombie game. Hold out against waves of zombies, blah blah blah.
It just feels slow.
So I was thinking, and watching a bit of Walking Dead, and I though of perhaps a more actual "Survival" zombie game. Build barricades and scrounge for resources.

roc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21332 on: January 25, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »

I hate every tile I've made for my project lately so I took a break and this happened:

Really WIP, the fantasy theme is making digits a bitch for me :\

I was going for something like the white text in the Eye of the Beholder intro, but I didn't actually use it as a reference so it came out a bit different.

Feedback appreciated, the nitpickier the better since I know Jack Smith about typography/typeface design.
siskavard
Level 10

FUTUREBEARD

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21333 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »

I love it

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21334 on: January 25, 2013, 02:06:29 PM »

Nice font. Smiley

SpaceHero Command ... In Development
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23173.0
Amorphous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21335 on: January 25, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »

<snip>

Feedback appreciated, the nitpickier the better since I know Jack Smith about typography/typeface design.

Nitpick time! There seem to be some kerning (letter spacing) issues with the lowercase 'i', especially if it's preceded by a 't'. It might just be limitations of bitmap font, or there might need to be some more adjustment for specific letters, as the 'i' looks good in some places and somewhat jarring in others. 'petit', 'puking', and 'identified' has off kerning, while 'bitmap' looks fine.

The lowercase 't' also has some kerning issues, but only with letters that come after the 't' - the spacing with letters preceding it is usually fine (hope that made sense...) the 'th' in 'mother' stands out, as does the double 'tt' in 'Scott'.

The font as a whole looks good, though. Nice job.  Smiley

-Amorphous | MechaFrog DevLog
kaboom
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21336 on: January 25, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »

Although I really like the font I dislike almost every kerning choice. The e doesn't have enough space and the s has too much etc. But kerning is mostly a matter of taste when working on your own font.
I also think you should rework the lowercase "s" and the bottom of the lowercase "t" to make it as awesome as the rest of the font.

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21337 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »

@Roc Nice font, fits perfectly or a fantasy game. Reminds me of the old final fantasy games... and mortal kombat (for some reason)

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21338 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »

Yeah, the kerning can be definitely better - especially the letter "t" and sometimes "i". It's especially visible on the words "with" and "dissolved".
gggfhfdh
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #21339 on: January 25, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »

[MUFFLED ATTACK ATTACK! SONG PLAYING IN THE DISTANCE]
Armageddon
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #21340 on: January 25, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »

It looks like he's wanking his tail's tail... Screamy
kaboom
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21341 on: January 26, 2013, 01:41:02 AM »

It looks like he's wanking his tail's tail... Screamy

You have a weird way of wanking good sir. It looks like he's tickling his balls though.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21342 on: January 26, 2013, 02:29:02 AM »

In fact it looks like he's playing it like a guitar Smiley
JobLeonard
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21343 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:45 AM »

I think it's a compliment to the font how readable it is despite the kerning issues, though. At least for me.
roc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21344 on: January 26, 2013, 06:28:33 AM »

kerning
Thanks for the c+c guys!  With your help I just might develop an eye for fonts someday :p I've been tooling unsuccessfully with the kerning for a while. I really want to get it to look good on its own (without adding coding junk to squish characters together that have lots of negative space on their neighboring sides), so I'll keep plugging away at it.  The fact that it's a bitmap font is making it tricky but I'd chalk it up more to inexperience making fonts.

green: totally agree that the t, s, and a handful of other characters should be reworked, many of the capitals tick me off and are pretty unreadable when you have a string of all caps.

Oh poop new page.  Content!  Last week a buddy of mine started to make a game but isn't much of a pixelist yet, so I wanted to toss him some old and unused tiles I made in 2002 or so to get started and work from.  Because I was so new to pixels back then (and was trying to compensate for non-backlit GBA screens) the colors were terrible so I made a quickie edit to make them just a little less crappy.  There are still way too many colors though.  And yes, those shadows are inconsistent.  And yes, the houses don't cast shadows on the ground.  And yes, those weird purple flower things are nigh invisible now.  And yes, I forgot to recolor the rocks Tongue

And yes I've gotten better since then I promise

I'll probably never touch this tileset again so apologies if posting stuff with no intention of following through on feedback is a no-no :x
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:34:05 AM by roc » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1421 1422 [1423] 1424 1425 ... 1865
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic