Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:12:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Crown
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Project Crown  (Read 18141 times)
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »

Project Crown
(Prototypical Title, will be changed eventually)

Project Crown is a game I started working on a few weeks ago. Progress is currently moving at a fairly nice speed, but it's also a moderately sized project, so there's a lot to get done.

Until the game gets further in development, I don't want to say much about what the game is going to be about. Rather, for now, I'll be using this DevLog more as a Screenshot/Video repository, occasionally dropping small tidbits about what is currently being worked on.

Comments are appreciated.

Screenshots

Videos

External Blog
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:14:43 AM by AndrewFM » Logged
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

Looks nice although I'm not a fan of the inconsistent resolution.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »

It's like that during combat, so that you can always see your opponent. However, outside of combat, the game is at a fixed 2x zoom. I tried to think of a way to do the combat without the resolution changing (such as when the opponent is outside of the screen, show a pointer in the general direction of them), but the combat is really too precise and hectic for that to work.

Or do you mean that the background is 1x zoom, while the playing area is a different zoom?
Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:28:05 PM »

I think the setup looks nice, nevermind the inconsistencies in resolution. It's sortof unavoidable with the whole zoom in/zoom out thing going on. And it reminds me a bit of Dragon Ball Z fighting games, NOT that that's a bad thing. It looks cooler. Keep this up, so far so good!

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:30:52 AM »

I like the graphic style so much... I'll wait for other images! Smiley

AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »

Just been doing a lot of polishing up on the core battle engine these last few days. Added screen shaking, and drew some animated smoke effects... but otherwise, it's been all tweaking of little things here and there to make the combat more smooth and manageable.

I'm feeling comfortable with the state it's in now, and the core battle system is getting close to complete. All I really need to add is melee attacks, and then I'm done, and can move onto other aspects of the game.

Assuming all goes well, and the melee attacks don't take long to add, I hope to put up a quick preview video of the battle system sometime next week. Though, something tells me I'm going to get stuck doing my Comicompo page next week, too (I'm next on the list)... so hopefully that won't eat up too much of my schedule.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:00:06 PM by AndrewFM » Logged
cosec
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »

This looks awesomely awesome. The scenery and glow effects look very enchanting. I'm looking forward to seeing some video of it in action.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »

WIP of the pause menu. In the future there'll be a mini-map of the whole Game World on the right-hand side (or at least the parts you've discovered so far). However, there's only one test map in the game right now, so I'll save programming the mini-map for later Tongue

The "Memories" sub-menu is actually pretty much complete, though I currently can't show it because of spoilers Wink. I'll just surmise it to say that that sub-menu contains a large grid of unlockable content.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »

That is one of the nicest pause screens I've seen. (or remember)
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »

Melee attacks are starting to take shape. Not quite done yet, but close.

As long as I don't hit any unforeseen roadblocks in finishing up the melee, I think I should have the first preview video up by Saturday morning at the latest. I also finished programming the core cutscene engine the other day, so I'll show that off in the video as well. Wink

By the way, as of last night, all of the Blue character's animations are finished! However, the white one still isn't animated yet.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »

Alright, I got the video up! Though, after listening to the video, I think I'm going to have to go and tweak the sound effects for the light-projectile attacks. The recording really accentuated them too much, and my ears were hurting by the end of that video Apoplectic. It's not as bad in the game, but I think I'm going to go and lower their pitch for good measure.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 03:08:06 AM »

Sexy as bloody fucking hell this is! Want this so badly!

It looks like an insane dragon ball z fighting kind of game, but without the tedious 'energy up' stuff. Bawesome! ^^

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »

Argh, my friggin ears WTF

I'm sorry if this seems rude, but I'm hoping that the sound effects in your video are just rough versions or placeholders.  Most of them need work, but the dialogue and energy-ball sounds were the main culprits.  They seem much too harsh, especially having to hear them over and over in rapid succession.

Edit:
Erp, I guess you're aware of the problem already Tongue.  That's what I get for replying before reading the whole thread... sorry!  Grin

tweet tweet @j_younger
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »

Good video and it looks like fun  Well, hello there!

cosec
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »

I love the style of the sound effects you've got going. I hope you don't change it too much.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

Yeah, part of the problem is I think I had the volume cranked too high on the recorder. So the sounds got that nasty ear-raping effect that happens when a sound exceeds the volume threshold, and starts to clip.

But I definitely agree with a few of the sounds needing tweaking. Mainly the energy balls, the one that occurs when you get knocked into the ground heavily, and possibly the dialog.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 04:34:32 AM »

I love the style of the sound effects you've got going. I hope you don't change it too much.

Yeah, the style is fine.  8bit sound is cool beans and all, I was just commenting on the harshness.  There's a fine line between bleep bloop and screek scronk.

tweet tweet @j_younger
cosec
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »

bleep bloop and screek scronk.

I like you.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

I haven't posted any updates in a while, not because I haven't been working on the game, but because most the updates weren't very interesting to share (aka, things that can't be illustrated in screenshots)

However, I got enough new things done now to throw off a couple highlights:

-Xbox Controller Support (I plan to add standard gamepad support too... I just don't currently own one)
-Key Configuration
-Local Multiplayer support (I have some ideas for a possible multiplayer campaign mode)
-Minimap
-Fixed the culprits of the ear-rapey sounds Wink

I've been planning out the layout of the game world, and yesterday I started work on creating some non-test maps for the game. So map building, among a couple other things, will probably be my main focus for a while.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:50:14 PM by AndrewFM » Logged
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »

True identity of white dude? Cheesy

Fighting looks cool. You can never have too many giant lasers in combat. I liked the dialog sounds but hated the "pew-pew" energy shot.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic