Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:21:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTogether Fight! Friendly Hat Spirit (is finished)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Together Fight! Friendly Hat Spirit (is finished)  (Read 2206 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »

I started this game for the "A Game By Its Cover" competition, and now it is finished! It's a horizontal shmup where you control a team of superheros who wear magic hats. The original thread is here.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:25:42 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:40:25 AM »

fix your link
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »

Embarrassing! Link is fixed.

|
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »

That is pretty cute by very hard. Not to say I don't like hard games but I couldn't even beat the first boss. Really enjoyed it still.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »

Embarrassing! Link is fixed.

Nope. The link to the original thread isn't correctly formatted.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »

This game is REALLY good! :D
I love the engrish!

...But..., I doubt the japrish is intentional?
In the original thread you made a post with what you call "kanji", but kanji is a japanase word, and those signs don't mean what you claim they mean in Japanese (except from "kachi" [win/victory]). Maybe you've got them mixed up with chinese?
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »

Goodness me. One mistake after another.

I imagine there are mistakes in the characters. I used an online kanji dictionary to get them, I don't read Japanese myself, and I didn't consult with anyone who reads Japanese. Three measures that add up to cultural appropriation at its worst! If you know the proper signs, or if anyone does, let me know and I'll fix them. I just wanted it to be Japanese to pay homage to my love of Ultraman.

|
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »

This game is pretty difficult, but I think I like it. I don't think the combinations work all that well on a keyboard and I think that the collisions for the smaller spells should be a bit bigger. I consistently find myself somehow firing small spells underneath the small projectiles and missing them, possibly because I expect the the projectile to come out the middle of his head instead of directly at the mouth a bit lower.
I also could not complete the first boss as time ran out due to my feeble spell casting. I got completely destroyed by the second boss.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 02:32:52 PM »

勇: cheer up! (small)

為: try! (medium)

勝: victory! (large)

曹: friend! (rescue)

Well, it doesn't really matter (as it looks cool anyway), but here is my interpretation:

勇: cheer up! Courage

為: try! Advantage/Benefit[to do something to benefit something]

勝: victory! ☆/win

曹: friend! Military title [曹司=cadet, 曹長=master sergeant]

Alternatively, you could use these:

気: Health, Power, Vigour (from "お元気に", an expression meaning "take care")

試: Trial [/experiment] (there is no kanji for "try", as "to try" is "やってみる")

友: Friend, Companion, Pal (usually 友達)

Anyroads, great game, and sorry for nit-picking Roll Eyes

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »

No, I take that kind of attention to detail as a compliment.  Smiley

The only one I am considering for a change is the friend spell. The rest of the words have the general meaning of camaraderie and teamwork; a military signifier is the only one that seems out of place. Thanks again!

|
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »

Yeah, it takes more characters than that to say things like that in Japanese. For example, if you showed this to a Japanese person they'd probably be able to tell right off that they weren't written by a Japanese person.

May I suggest:

勝利 (victory)

友情 (friendship)

Except, it may not make complete sense to have messages in this format. These are single words, but in (a game in) Japanese I think it would make more sense to have interjections (in English, these would be things like "Whoa!" or "Oh no!"). Maybe something like:

すげぇ (wow)

あともうちょっと (just a little more/further/longer)

やりゃあできる (you can do it if you try (i.e., just do it)

And then again, I'm not completely sure of the accuracy of my guesses.

EDIT: Then I played the game, and realized that the bullets probably can't contain a sentence of that kind of length... ha ha

Still, for complete correctness, I'd strongly recommend consulting someone born, raised, and educated in Japan.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:42:45 PM by lasttea999 » Logged

Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »

Yay! I'm very glad you finished this game. I followed it during the AGBIC competition and loved it! I'm very very surprised it didn't do better than it did; you got a great game here.

Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic