Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:08:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProbability 0 FLASH is BACK!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Probability 0 FLASH is BACK!  (Read 26035 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »

XXDDD

(it reminded me of pixeling that fez.)

This will be the first game I ever make that has

<spoilers>
Insert spoilers here
</spoilers>

Evil That is about the most awesome feature ever. How did you not think of that the first time? Shocked

Nope! Twelve.

Facepalm I need to re-d/l this game. I lost it during my crash last summer. It's also still rather amazing how differently everybody plays it! And congrats to ortoslon for actually surviving it. I'd only gotten about 60-80 km from there at best, and figured it just went on forever. Usually boss encounter #2 or 3 nails me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:17:10 PM by baconman » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »

Don't quote the spoiler, the quote box doesn't have a white background! This is why you need to preview your post, or at least look at it after posting.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »

Hi.
Please consider the following, and then feed me back:

NOTE: While the background is strictly a mockup (it would/will be animated), the HUD changes are currently implemented! Also, if you blow it up to 3x scale, that's what it looks like when it fills my screen. <3

There are... a bunch of alterations in the works. I'm looking forward to 'em. :3

100% NON-MOCKUP

- The game now automatically scales to fit your screen as perfectly as it's able.

- Also, it defaults to fullscreen mode.

- And jeez you guys. I'm not that much of a jerk: the game never actually descends entirely into darkness, okay? x3
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:40:39 AM by Droqen » Logged

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »

I like it! I think you solved your hud issues pretty well there. :D
However I do think some character has been lost by losing the varying font sizes and colorful icons that you had before.
However^2, it is quite readable and that is good.

Also I REALLY HOPE that background follows the camera YOU EVIL MONSTER.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2012, 06:25:02 AM »

Yeah. I was about to say, that bottom shade of your BG makes it pretty near-impossible to tell where any solid-black blocks are at. Star Blocks, Glass Blocks, or anything with red eyes will still pop out, and it's kind of a cool effect - but something like a slight border-shading along two edges of the black blocks would at least give players in the lower quadrant of the screen *something* they can aim for.

To me, the font looks relatively similar to the previous builds, maybe it only LOOKS less size-varied because it doesn't clutter over the active part of the screen. They're still rather varied. And perhaps the star queue on the bottom left could contain a "big star" for every ten you collect, making for some more reusable space. Not like you'll ever have enough to worry about, unless you play *really* conservatively.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »

Glass blocks and star blocks will not pop out either. They're transparent, not background-filled :D
Peruse this comparison, for screen space lost is not as much as you might think:

(left: new, right: old)

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »

I can't see shit D:
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »

Seeing them side-by-side, I definitely like the new one better.  Smiley
Screen feels much more spacious and clean. Also, I like the new blue better.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »

I like the new one, but I kinda want the red arrow back for when you're about to level up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:57:44 PM by mokesmoe » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »

hmm. I know what you mean: the red arrow was a great indicator ):

The current level up arrow is inverted and super tall though, as compensation!

(I tried making it red but I couldn't make it not break the look of the current HUD ._.)

also waitwait

Udderdude: What do you mean? o_O Do you mean in the darkness below or in the whole screen
or in general
are you legally blind, man?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:28:54 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »

I didn't realize the white box was part of the level up icon, so that sounds good actually. (I thought is was just due to it being next.)
consider yourself fed back.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »

The darkness below is going to make the game exponentially harder, because you suddenly can't see half the platforms, or can't see them very well.  Very easy to fall to your death.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »

Don't worry too much: look at the picture.

The darkness is at worst going to obscure 32 of the 288 pixels (i.e. two blocks' height) of the bottom, as compared to Original Flavour P0. I didn't actually change the size of the you're-allowed-to-be-here area at all.

Most of the darkness is actually not somewhere you can even walk; you'll die before hitting the bottom of the screen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:39:05 PM by Droqen » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »

That's not how human eyes (and brains) react to new information.  If it's really dark and moving rapidly, it's still much harder to react to than if it was brighter.  And that second row of darkness is so dark, it might as well be black since there's not going to be any time to see it coming.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »

Hmm.

The 32 pixel count was in reference to both the solid black as well as the very-dark bars.

I'm still trying out different patterns, also: I could try shortening the stuff at the bottom
(First I'll fix the menu and stuff because I utterly broke it making the game all crazy full-screen)

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »

Could you show us a couple second gif or video of the dark bars?
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »

yeah im not really digging the newer one. it looks a lot more cluttered and distracting, the old one is nice and clean looking.

Lo
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »

Oh. I really like the new one! Reminds me of Rescue: The Beagles's's background. I would like to see it in motion, though - although I tend to start at the top of the screen, certain circumstances (generally bosses) make me switch to hovering around the lower section. Not sure how hard it would be to play. Might enforce staying upward.

Perhaps a very gentle, slow red strobe effect would illuminate the two lowest panes? Also increase ominousity.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »

In the new screen, seeing the red eye of the enemy "below" the playfield leads one to believe it's still actually part of it. Therefore, it appears that 20-25% of the playfield is hidden from view, rather than the 5-10% that actually is. Wink

It will probably keep people much higher. But generally speaking, I used to try sticking around 60-75% of the way down on the old screen. On the newer one, I'd probably hang around 30-45% of the way down, just for the sake of improved visibility.

Also on the new one: where are your stars?

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2012, 03:51:24 AM »

Bottom-right.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic