Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:32:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Tutorials97 Things Every Game Developer Should Know
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 97 Things Every Game Developer Should Know  (Read 18278 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »

These were all produced over a period of 18 hours from twitter (hashtag: #97thingsgamedev)
http://twapperkeeper.com/hashtag/97thingsgamedev?sm=&sd=&sy=&em=&ed=&ey=&o=&l=10000&from_user=&text=&lang=&nort=1

- Concept/ Ideas
@zarawesome Everyone thinks ideas are precious up to the point they need to pay for one.
@Jayenkai Never be afraid to try something new, but don't be scared to throw it away if it doesn't work out!
   @TerrierGames Don't copy everyone else. Do things that haven't been tried before - it might be great.
@S0phieH program blindly, experiment, play jazz. if you think it's fun. Smiley
@KommanderKlobb Spend time in the real world, being interested in things which aren't games
   @rafaelborven Also, watch movies beyond sci-fi, fantasy and super-hero ones. Grab Copolla, Hitchcock, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Stone, Allen
@rafaelborven Read more books than you average nerdy ones (i.e. LOTR, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc.) Read classics, economics, political ones
@homembarata Start with a small project, forget about MMOs, seriously.
   @robotduck build a Pong, Pac-Man, or Space Invaders before attempting a Warcraft, Starcraft or Minecraft :-) #97thingsgamedev
   @retroremakes Make that MMO if you want. You'll probably fail but who gives a fuck? Failing is fun and learning from failure is valuable.
@S0phieH don't forget your heritage goes back more than 30 years, it also includes everything from chess to Shakespeare and more.

- Design   
@zarawesome If the player doesn't see it, it doesn't exist.
   @S0phieH if the player doesn't see it, but *thinks* it's there, it exists. Wink
   @adamfsk If a player doesn't see it, it's a 'hidden feature'.
@zarawesome Games don't have to be fun. Games don't have to be anything.
@zarawesome A cliche is a double-edged sword.
@zarawesome A little innovation goes a long way.
@zarawesome Do not pad your game with minigames. Minigames take at least 20% of the "master" game's time to make, -each-.
@zarawesome The game designer's friends: Ghosts. Amnesia. Deserted islands. Crates. Lava. Fog. Levers and buttons. Large rocks. Zombies.
   @NamoDyn Enough Fucking Zombies, please.
@zarawesome You don't have to use every idea right now.
@zarawesome When in doubt, err in the side of simple.
   @dedhedzed Better short and sweet than long and dull.
   @black_golem Start smaller than you think. You will grow bigger than you are.
   @andrewcarvalho you are allowed to remove game content. Short and sweet is a good thing.
@DriveByBaptism your making a game to please your number one fan: you.
   @dedhedzed You'll never please everybody. Make sure you at least please yourself.
@HilariousCow Top Down Vision, and Bottom Up Design only mesh by bouncing off each other. Figure out the fastest way to iterate the cycle #97thingsgamedev
@Jayenkai It doesn't matter, as long as it plays well.
@jack19750331 : If it don't work on paper, it probably won't work in the machine. #plan
@S0phieH being original/innovative isn't the goal, it's just sometimes a side effect of doing what YOU want to do.
@clintmakesagame Elicit an emotion with your game, good or bad, and know what that emotion is!
@alicemonstrinho Don't make a game thinking about the next game you're making after that one gets finished. Focus and don't save ideas.
@fizzychicken Focus on making games people want to play, not software engineering for its own sake.
@wiebow Design your game concept without graphics or style in mind.

- Code
@zarawesome What language/libraries to use mainly depend on what platform you want to get to.
@zarawesome Learn trigonometry and probabilities, since you obviously didn't do so during college.
@zarawesome Keep track of all the little shortcuts you took, because a lot of bugs will be fixed by removing those shortcuts.
@zarawesome Leave rewriting code for the next game.
@zarawesome Your freedom to push the envelope ends where the game engine's freedom to crash like a rickety china cabinet starts.
@CrociDB Stop thinking you'll rule the world as a Game Designer. Go study programming.
@CrociDB It doesn't matter how many games you played in the last year, but how many lines you coded.
@Joeeigel Have some kind of plan, don't program blindly.
@Joeeigel If you try coding with a negitive mindset you won't get anywhere, take a break and come back refreshed.
@thegamedesigner "If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better." - John Carmack
@rafaelborven A pretty game is good, but a well programmed game is far better.
@thegrieve Version control is your friend

- Tools
@jonmanatee don't skimp on making good tools
@hanlsp ideas are cheap until they're implemented. Make putting ideas into the game cheap and fast, then test your ideas for real.
@wiebow Do not be afraid to buy tools from time to time. Someone out there probably createda better tool than you can make.

- Gameplay / Mechanics
@zarawesome Don't make your game just a tutorial for your awesome new mechanic.
@zarawesome Physics looks neat, but it's hell to make consistent puzzles out of it.
@rafaelborven How yr char acts (jumps etc) & reacts (damage etc) is very important. If it feels "off" the player can't connect. Refine it
@TomSennett if it's not gameplay, get rid of it
@TomSennett if your game doesn't have unlimited lives and automatic saving - in 2011- you are an absolute failure
@clintmakesagame Every mechanic must be fully fleshed out at some point; just thinking about it isn't enough.
@clintmakesagame If there is only one good choice which requires only time, and no skill, make it automatic or get rid of it.

- Level Design
@rafaelborven The real meat is on the game and level design, not in the game mechanics or innovative ideas.
@andrewcarvalho invisible walls are only visible when the player finds the world you created boring.
@thatshelby Never design levels when you're burnt out or when you dont have ideas ~ its not fun to play!

- Difficulty
@zarawesome Each player demographic wants a different kind of challenge and will treat the others as obstructionism.
@zarawesome Try to suit both the player who solved Hitchhiker's Guide and the player that didn't get Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die
@zarawesome Difficulty settings are bullshit. Difficulty settings that can't be changed halfway through are double bullshit.
@jwaaaap never never never let yourself decide if your difficulty is good or not

- Interface / Ergonomics
@zarawesome Everybody has opinions about the interface.
@zarawesome It's useless to try to refine interface design before the user/client looks at it.
@zarawesome Things always forgotten in short games: Pause key, sound mute, key config, joystick support, save progress.
@TerrierGames Controls are 1000,000% more important than that shader you're using.
@Matt_D_ dont get caught up on the colour of the door knob if you haven't yet built the house. spend your time wisely!
@S0phieH find out what 'Ergonomics' is, making your players physically uncomfortable is usually a bad idea.
@alicemonstrinho ergonomy is fundamental - read nielsen: http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html
@nuclide Good UI design makes a game understandable (via Dieter Rams http://bit.ly/7TE8yS ).
@adamfsk Make the basic controls for your game as simple, smooth and responsive as possible.
   @TomSennett if you can do it with two buttons, you can probably do it with one button
   @retroremakes A complex UI does not make a game complex. Just FYI.
@adamfsk Music/sound 30%, Controls 50% Original idea 20%. Make your time well spent.
@carlostinca this [->] look better than "Press Right Button to move forward"

- Scheduling / Motivation
@zarawesome Your most precious skill is knowing how long you'll take to do something.
@zarawesome Have the wisdom to make decisions final or the project will never finish.
@zarawesome You just finished coding the engine, so the game's practically finished? Oh, you poor fool.
@8vius You are your worst critic and greatest demotivator, and you know, procrastination. DEFEAT THEM!
@ChristinaCoffin you'll never run out of ideas, but you will run out of time to implement
@thatshelby Ultimately, you will never be happy with your final product. Just make sure it's polished!
@webbedspace "if you miss a day, you may as well throw out the project, because it's not going to get done" -@rinkuhero
@ymstudios when you think you are done... you are about halfway through...
@S0phieH Giving up is for other people.
@KommanderKlobb time spent not thinking about your game consciously is not time wasted. Let your back-brain mull things at length
@clintmakesagame Finish a game, even if it sucks! Finishing begets finishing.
@X360_Gav Don't worry about finishing your game on time. You can always just patch it. Then patch it again. And again. And again.
@S0phieH realise when you have been caught in a distraction and break free (gonna go do some 3D modelling now ;P )
@hanlsp make it work, make it right, make it fast. In that order. Having working software keeps you motivated and tweaking
@thegamedesigner Finishing a bad game is better then failing at a great game.

- Testing
@zarawesome You will get bored of testing the game halfway through.
@TomSennett PLAYTEST, PLAYTEST, PLAYTEST
@kiithilurin PLAY TEST
@neonleif tweak and polish when your game is done - doing it before kills the game

- Feedback
@zarawesome Feedback is okay, but -good- feedback is rare and precious like gold.
@zarawesome What people -think- they hate in your game often has no correlation with what people -really- hate in your game.
   @zarawesome Players don't see "good AI" or "bad AI", just "fair AI" and "unfair AI".
@Joeeigel Just because one person dosn't like your game dosn't mean you should give up, only person you have to please is yourself.
@S0phieH it helps to have a split personality, adopt a 'new player' persona when testing to see problems before you let others play.
@theicebreaker You will never get *bad* criticism from your friends, because they want to be nice to you.
@realnoyb Rarely if ever does a tester give you negative feedback because he's jealous of your brilliance.
@TomSennett If one player says your game is too easy, and one says it's too hard, THEY'RE BOTH RIGHT
@jazmcdougall Beware well-meaning but flawed advice - especially from successful people who don't understand their own methods.
@robotduck Watch inexperienced players play your game (before it's finished!)

- Marketing
@zarawesome At some point you'll have to decide if you want to make a game or sell a game.
@zarawesome Making games to the "long tail" doesn't work when they expect as fancy a treatment as the head's getting.
@zarawesome Many successful developers nowadays have released the first version of their games for free.
@zarawesome You'll have to spread the word of your game in some way. Even artists have vernissages.
   @Flimgoblin If noone knows about your game, noone can play it. Marketing isn't (necessarily) evil it's just telling people you exist.
@RJpoofy Believe it or not there is a large amount of people who like quirky, don't be afraid to go for the cult fan base!

- Teams
@zarawesome The game designer is king, but the game programmer is God.
@zarawesome A programmer is not a voice-operated game designing tool. Learn to use the tools provided.
@KommanderKlobb work with other people, especially if they aren't people who usually make games   
@VexingVision Document. Document. For the sake of all the gods in your game and the sanity of your potential publisher, document.
@thegamedesigner Don't be alone. Email and skype other indies. They're nice and you'll learn stuff.

- Art
@zarawesome There -is-, in fact, bad pixel art. If you can't tell, you're not an artist.

- Music
@rafaelborven Music and sound effects are like 30% of the experience. Don't mess with them, and don't think they're less important

- Prototypes
@S0phieH all great craftspeople practice with quick/short throwaway projects and sketches, you should too.
@S0phieH it's inevitable, some of those 'prototype' graphics that were only for testing are going to make it into the final game.

- Other Games
@adamfsk Before thinking outside the box, try to find the box.
@adamfsk Your idea is only original if someone else hasn't already done it. Watch your competitors.
@TomSennett Pay attention to games outside of your computer/television. More people have played Baseball than Halo.
@realnoyb If your game relies on an innovative feature, would it still be worth playing if another game did it first?
@dedhedzed Take something tried and tested, learn how it works, and do it yourself. You'll learn a lot and might even improve it.
@retroremakes There is no golden age of gaming. It wasn't better back then. It was rubbish. Be the now. Be the future.

- Multi-Classing
@S0phieH Don't complain you need an artist/programmer, you are plenty capable.
   @andrewcarvalho stick with what you are good at. If you can't draw, then don't.
@thegamedesigner Don't be 'just' a game designer/idea person. Learn to code, draw, or fill out paper work. Better yet, all 3!
@thegamedesigner If you're a programmer, learn colour theory. If an artist, learn a little scripting.
@inverso Don't mess with the story, leave that to the writers

- General Advice
@S0phieH planning was made obsolete when they invented undo.
@S0phieH there's not much more important than your attitude.
@Switchbreak Don't listen to anyone. There are no rules.
@Switchbreak Listen to everyone. There are a million pitfalls to avoid.
@jack19750331 : Your first ten games will probably suck. The eleventh...
@andrewcarvalho Games should leave the player with something more than what they came in with.
@andrewcarvalho Show don't tell is applicable to everything
@clintmakesagame If you're not working on a game...work on another game! Or some music, or some art...but always create when you can.
@glitchypixel Making games is an art, but also a craft. You will get better at it if you keep making more and more of them. d(Azn)b
@offwhitefox Measure twice, cut once
@retroremakes This is your manual: http://is.gd/kzsob this is your guide: http://is.gd/kzsoA
@theBanov if you don't have fun making it, your players won't have fun playing it

- Enough Already
@NamoDyn Also, stop making movie tie-ins, or at least try harder.
@NamoDyn I have minority interests so I'm not important!
@TomSennett achievements are fucking stupid
@TomSennett if you call your game "art", it's not.
@TomSennett I don't play games to read. If you do, you're a loser. Go read a book. Square.
@S0phieH if you have tech in the game's title (X-3D, X-HD etc) you are probably missing the point, ask why you are making the game.

- Random
@HilariousCow I haven't finished a game yet, and SO CAN YOU!
@S0phieH there are contradictions in this topic because rules are there to be tested, find what works for you too Smiley
@Jayenkai I'm 30, and live with my Mum. Don't listen to anything I say!!!!!
@TomSennett Actually stop paying attention to video games completely. Everyone's regurgitating the same stuff. Go outside or something
@TomSennett DON'T BELIEVE TWITTER CAN MAKE YOU A BETTER GAME DEVELOPER
@thegrieve don't get all your advice from twitter
@theowitter Stop reading this, go make a game!
@NamoDyn make sure you keep pumping out the same drivel instead of expanding your userbase!
@TomSennett your game will never be as good as Tetris
@adamfsk If someone misses the point and uses bad grammar, be sure to call them up on it: http://is.gd/kyi1y
@retroremakes Call yourself a railwaynaut?
@retroremakes Go outside. Seriously.
@jwaaaap don't play games, games are for nerds
@gabriel_may_uk Send me a free...I mean "press copy" of your game :D
@thegrieve You must use every idea right now!
@fizzychicken Your brain is finite. Take care picking the right stuff to put in it.

eva
BANNED
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »

#designerswhothinktheyknow

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »

I like these:

@zarawesome Games don't have to be fun. Games don't have to be anything.

and I seriously hope these are jokes:
@TomSennett if it's not gameplay, get rid of it
@TomSennett if your game doesn't have unlimited lives and automatic saving - in 2011- you are an absolute failure
@TomSennett if you call your game "art", it's not.
@TomSennett I don't play games to read. If you do, you're a loser. Go read a book. Square.

tom sennett gives the worst advice.
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:57:07 AM »

tom sennett gives the worst advice.

I like to think here, he's directly addressing Square Enix

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »

Interesting, but...

...conflicting at times.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »

Now condense those 97 things into 9.7 things. I can't remember all that.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »

I like to think here, he's directly addressing Square Enix

yeah, bushido blade and einhander are full of text and exactly like reading a book

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »

I'd like to see another Bushido Blade...

Now condense those 97 things into 9.7 things. I can't remember all that.

I'd love to see the last one.
"The definitive, infallible way to make a perfect game which will be appreciated by every single individual and will be remembered forever is"
ChevyRay
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »

Ahaha cool list, it's fun to see what different people think.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »

someone quoted me but i didn't take part in it, for the record i wouldn't recommend working on your game every day until after you're experienced and/or working on a large project, when you're just learning how to make games or making small projects skipping days is okay

chumez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »

I like these ... and I probably forgot some.

@TerrierGames Don't copy everyone else. Do things that haven't been tried before - it might be great.
@retroremakes Make that MMO if you want. You'll probably fail but who gives a fuck? Failing is fun and learning from failure is valuable.
@NamoDyn Enough Fucking Zombies, please.
@thegamedesigner "If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better." - John Carmack
@gabriel_may_uk Send me a free...I mean "press copy" of your game :D

There are some really good advices, and some funny and random ones ... Anyways, great share!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
pixhead
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:36:33 PM »

@zarawesome The game designer is king, but the game programmer is God.
I AM GOD Hand Shake Left Evil Hand Shake Right
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 04:53:08 AM »

Best advice I've seen. I shouldn't be lurking on forums either. I need to get to work!  Coffee

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »

Best advice I've seen. I shouldn't be lurking on forums either. I need to get to work!  Coffee
Ditto. I'm off now.

iffi
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »

Interesting, but...

...conflicting at times.
You are plenty capable of making art for your game without drawing. Wink
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »

i strongly disagree with this. a lot. there are hundreds of artists out there looking for work, especially if you can pay them for it. having good graphics will make your game feel more finished and overall better, plus you will be helping out the pool of artists which are looking to get into game making.

Lo
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 06:20:08 AM »

Richard Perrin Discusses Storytelling in Video Games

Counter-attack.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »

They're not talking about the same thing - story != text.

Also, I've never heard of a game being criticised because it had "too much story", as opposed to having too much text, too many unskippable cut-scenes, too much dialogue - and usually in those cases the thing in excess was mostly fluff and/or low quality.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »

Not necessarily. There are people who like reading in games and there are people who don't. Yet, there is no need to offend anybody just because you disagree with them. Unless they are jerks, then its OK.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »

Richard Perrin Discusses Storytelling in Video Games

Counter-attack.

We're sharing a room at GDC, hopefully it won't end in violence. ^_^

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic