Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:17:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsRoom Jam / Global Game HYBRID Jam YYC (Calgary)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Room Jam / Global Game HYBRID Jam YYC (Calgary)  (Read 5096 times)
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2011, 08:04:20 PM »

Room Jam YYC (Calgary)

A few details are worked out, but we are going to just flow with things and try to integrate somehow with GGJ (see "Tentative Plan" post, below.)

DATE: January 29-30, 2011

``WHGAA? (Room Jam)'': You can see the Infinite Ammo Blog for those type of deets!

``WHGAAA? (Global Game Jam)'': If you would like to participate, you can sign up at the Global Game Jam Calgary Page.

Wots a Room Hybrid Jam?

This is where we hang out and pretend to make games for two separate jams on the same weekend. It can be done. At the previous GGJ it was stated by someone speaking or something that Dragon Age: Origins cannot be made in one weekend. I posit that both it and the original Dragon Age game can be. Poorly.

Wot's a Jam Room?

The best room in the house, as long as you have some butter and bread, and do not have any impinging medical conditions that prevent you from eating jam with bread. And provided you even like jam.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:41:16 PM by PsySal » Logged
vieko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »

Good times! Depending on how many participate, I might have a place to host this... If not, we can always do it @ Mount Royal Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »

Awesome!  Beer! This room game will be crazy when it's all put together.  WTF

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »

Good times! Depending on how many participate, I might have a place to host this... If not, we can always do it @ Mount Royal Smiley

The other idea we had was like a crazy moving venue. Like we could go to a pub, then the library, maybe hit up the food court in a mall, basically we could just train hop between a large # of places.

I like the idea of kind of melding it with GGJ, somehow, too! Definitely seems like bad form to usurp the GGJ in any way, but CRASHING the GGJ OTOH... perfect =)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

The other idea we had was like a crazy moving venue. Like we could go to a pub, then the library, maybe hit up the food court in a mall, basically we could just train hop between a large # of places.

That sounds pretty cool. It might be impractical, but it depends on the group I guess. Smiley

PowRTocH
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »

I personally really like that idea, only problems are inhospitable cold while hopping around and power outlets.
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 06:55:48 PM »

You know I'm down.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »

Awrite! Tentative Plan

We've got at least three people who want to do both jams (Bones, Vieko, and myself, I'm basing this on the GGJ sign-up page and posts in this forum.) I think I can round up my friend Nick, as well.

Here's my idea, keeping things loose:

- People who want to do both jams, or just GGJ, meet at the GGJ Friday. This gives a natural starting point.

- If you don't want to do GGJ, but just Room Jam, that is also cool! Just post in this forum and we will keep you in the loop.

- We can just do both jams at MRC, and try and work in some venue switches. Because I think this is a fun way to get fresh perspective and we have to eat anyhow.

Unfortunately MRC is not on the C-Train line so if people have cars that might make it easier. Or we can just stay at MRC, whatever flows. Like if there aren't too many of us we can go to wherever Vieko has the sacrificial altar set up. I will have my bike and I can handlebar double someone not-too-large up to 5 km. I'm SERIOUS.

Like for instance, I can imagine us splitting into two and half doing a room jam game for part and the other half doing the other part, then switching off, and spending the whole time at MRC, or just whatever!

OR WE CAN GO FOR A HIKE AT WEASELHEAD, build a SNOW FORT and game dev in THAT. That would be too cool, too, too. If anyone has SOLAR PANELS, I'll bring a shovel. I'm SERIOUS.

Does this sound like a plan? GGJ gives us a natural starting point and we can just do both jams. Nobody can tell us otherwise, also Laurie who organizes the GGJ is super nice person who deserve our respect at least as much as Alec although she never made Aquaria, I hear she designed most of the dungeons in Zelda: LTTP.

BRING YOUR SNOW PANTS, KIDS!
DirkRugged
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »

I'm down for whatever is decided, Calgary or Edmonton...
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:19 PM »

@atuun Definitely! You must be on the team this year Smiley
dayflcl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »

I'm an artist but I have NO idea how to program.  Cool If anyone looking for a artist to team up with ........im hear !!!!!!  Cool
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »

Must not have read the date in the post.  Facepalm

I don't really see why we're doing this during GGJ.
I'd much rather have my focus on one thing at a time and not jump in and out of rooms considering I likely work at 3-6pm on Friday, and have school on  Saturday from 9-5pm.
So I'm really missing a lot of GGJ already, I don't have much time to do both.

Also ACAD is an available working space anytime as it is a public building and I am a student there, it's also on the C-train line.

@dayflcl you don't really need to know how to program that's the point of most game jams.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:36:26 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »

What if we have a separate date for the room jam? We could just get together at some public space at ACAD one weekend or something...?

Just because the room jam is in Winnipeg at that time, we don't have to have it at the same time in Calgary.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »

Hey everybody, see you all today!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic