Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:40:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRobotix (2D space shooter)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Robotix (2D space shooter)  (Read 3244 times)
Teasy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »

Hi!

I'd like to share a freeware game with you that I have created, completed (1 episode), and that I'm sometimes still working on.

Robotix is a 2D (sideview) multi-directional/platform space (robot) shooter which has a number of vehicles, controlled by keyboard, and a number of weapons, controlled by mouse.

There's a wide variety of missions, guided by a unique storyline, primarily focussing on blasting anything that can be blasted
Including lots of enemies, structures, bases - all in explosive quantities.
And various goodies to pick up along the way.

All of the music tracks, sound effects and graphics, code and storyline are homemade, if that says anything
And a lot of special effects are also included for your pleasure

Here are some snapshots to you give an impression of what it looks like (if that says anything )

And if you like watching some demonstration videos, I've created some for your viewing pleasure

I'm very curious if there are other people who like to play this type of game just for the sake of fooling around, enjoying great fireworks and exploring the game world.

And I wonder if there's someone who enjoys this game so much, that you keep coming back for more (like me!), following the storyline and playing all the levels until the final showdown.

So, please let me know if you have as much fun playing this game as me!

Linkies:
- Robotix website
- Download: Full episode 1 / Index
  The ZIP archive includes a single (Windows) executable (no install, all media embedded)
- More screenshots: Index

Here are some of the things I love about Robotix:
- Freedom of exploring a rich, large game world.
- A vast array of constructions to blow up.
- Multiple vehicles with unique controls, abilities and weapons.
- Includes an immersive and unique story-line.
- Homemade music, code, graphics, and sound effects.
- Customizable interface and gamespeed.
- Runs very smoothly on Windows at any resolution.
- Many hidden goodies and secrets.
- Level completion time records.
- The ability to choose whether you want to:
  - rush through the levels, or
  - destroy everything you can find, or
  - take your time exploring the vast playing areas.

System requirements:
- Windows 98 SE (or higher)
- DirectX 7 (or higher)
- 25 MB of free diskspace
- Keyboard + mousing device

Recommended minimum system specification:
- Pentium 3, 1GHz (or faster)
- 64 MB physical memory (or more)
- High-end GPU from 1999 (or better)
- 16 MB video memory (or more)
- Soundcard

Known bugs:
- None, apart from intricate use of in-game cheats and complicated/unlogical level design using the in-game level editor
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »

It's a shame that no one has commented on this yet, but after watching the first video, I think I know why. At the beginning (at least), the robot moves really slowly. I imagine that would get quite tedious.

If you have an explanation for why this would not be so, please tell me.
Teasy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:19:41 AM »

Tesselode:
Thanks for your comment Smiley

Try the second video for a little surprise ^^
(Hint: you can change the speed )

I myself love playing the game at a more 'realistic' speed, which makes my body move left and right with the motion of the vehicles Smiley
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:36:35 AM »

The second video looks much better. I think you should make this the default speed.

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »

I remember playing this back when you first posted it on shmup-dev. As far as I can recall it was cool but a little bit slow and tedious since the levels were kind of large. Nice to see it again! Smiley
sinoth
Level 0

hotdogger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »

The intro help text stretches to fit the window without regard to aspect ratio.  As I have a widescreen monitor, the text is stretched horizontally.  Might want to clamp the text to a 4:3 ratio so it's easier to read!

It took me over 5 minutes to find the second vehicle in level 1.  I must have gone the wrong way or something.  It also took me a while to find the turret.  Perhaps these important targets could be a different color on the radar?  Having to hit targets at a perfect 45 degree angle is pretty difficult.  I didn't even know I could at first!  Paired with the clumsiness of the ship (no downward thrust, slow changes in velocity) the first bit of the game is a bit annoying.  I hit a point on the first level where I couldn't go any further until I accidentally hit something at 45 degrees.

In stage 2 I got better at figuring out what you expected the player to do.  It was still kinda annoying to make those 45 degree shots.  I got dangerously close to dying after colliding with some of the cloudy-looking enemies, which was the first time I'd taken significant damage.

Stage 3 was more fun because of the upgraded blaster, and the "run and gun" tactics you can use to kill the vast number of enemies.  Some really nice chain reactions too.  I got to stage 4 but that is where I decided to stop.

The presentation is great.  It reminds me of an Apogee game Smiley  The fact that it came as a single .exe is awesome too... I love the extra effort of packing the resources.  The music is good but tended to drone a bit (especially the first stage since I spent more than 10 minutes on it!)  The particle system for explosions is cool, especially for big chain reactions.  I like the fact that the game  stretches to any resolution.  Also, the loading transitions are super snazzy.

I think the game should start with a more 'fun' vehicle... the first two you get (even after the turrent upgrade) are a chore to control.  I can see people being put off before finishing the first level.  That's a shame, because the game is enjoyable and does a good job creating a unique feel.  Hope you continue to hack away at it Smiley

i am not regret
Teasy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »

Netsu: Thanks for your comment Smiley
I've noticed that everyone likes a different speed, which is why I added that cool feature :D

Cactus: Hey, welcome back !
Try hitting F4 to change the gamespeed to Normal (default), Fast or Turbo

Sinoth: Thank you for your elaborate testing and review Smiley
To more easily read the (retro-style) intro/help text, try resizing the window.
I've also (re)added the ability to stay in windowed mode by pressing F10 at the first help screen (before the loading 'screen').
And by pressing F2 while playing, you can toggle between maximized/restored window state.

The game was initially aimed specifically at exploration, which coincides with the player getting to know the (robot) character, its host vehicles and their unique abilities.
I've noticed that for some people it takes less time to 'get into' than others Smiley

Cool that you noticed (and appreciate!) all the details and 'behind-the-scene' stuff
And thanks for pointing it out

I'm curious why you stopped playing at level 4, Sinoth

Thanks a lot, guys!

Edit: The first Robotix video on YouTube (Level 1) also shows alternative routes and other ways to do the same thing
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:57:44 AM by Teasy » Logged
Teasy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »

I've done a major update on the Robotix website, which now includes a lot of detailed game information for you to check out!
( And it now looks more beautiful than ever )

New sections include vehicles, pickup items, generators, game help, hints, storyline, levels and secrets!

Here's a quick link to the top of the new parts:
- Robotix: Vehicles
Teasy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »

Oh btw, Sinoth, I forgot to mention that you can use the upper-left gauge to find the nearest pickups, targets etc, toggleable with the Shift key.
Also, the M key can be used to toggle the music on and off
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »

Congrats on the release!

I missed that you actually released the game, but remember seeing pics of the game.  It looks neat but I can't play since I'm on a Mac Sad

Teasy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »

Argh!
Thanks for your comment, though!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic