Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:41:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe New Music Challenge, Mk III
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The New Music Challenge, Mk III  (Read 11718 times)
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »

Well whaddaya know...I got mine done early Wink

Melancholy, with a hint of drifting through the sky...

Cloudbourne

EDIT:  New version posted.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:07:28 PM by RadRuss » Logged

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
increpare
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 04:32:10 AM »

Well whaddaya know...I got mine done early Wink

Melancholy, with a hint of drifting through the sky...

Cloudbourne
I'm not too sure how I feel about the touch near the start (when the melody first introduces itself) it seems a bit jarringly uneven in one or two spots.  (Same for the instrumental line, to a lesser extent, I think).

I thought it was pretty effective though, though I don't think it fully captured the exclamation-mark part of the "Flying through the clouds!" theme Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:36:19 AM by increpare » Logged
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 08:24:51 AM »

I didn't realize the exclamation point was so crucial!  I just wanted to write something solidly different from what I usually write.

What did you mean by "uneven"?  Do you mean the tempo or the voicing?

increpare
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »

I didn't realize the exclamation point was so crucial! 
But gosh, it was in bold: one, in my experience, ignores a bold exclamation mark at one's peril....

What did you mean by "uneven"?  Do you mean the tempo or the voicing?
I mean the volume of the notes of the melody line: some just seem, to my ears, to be a bit too loud and (the notes thus effected) stick out a bit too much because of it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:10:00 AM by increpare » Logged
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:57 PM »

Ha ha...at my own peril, indeed.  I should have gone back to check, I had forgotten it was so bold!

As to the volume, I'm going to go back and listen to that again and fix up some stuff.  I played the piano part in live, so it might just be my own performance.  Good catch though...I'll upload a refined version soon.

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 07:07:55 PM »

Okay, I fixed it up a bit.  I edited my original post to point to the new version, but I'll post it here too:

Cloudbourne

increpare
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »

Okay, I fixed it up a bit.  I edited my original post to point to the new version, but I'll post it here too:

Cloudbourne
What were the changes that you made?  (My memory of the older version is rather weak).  (by 'volume of the notes', I meant, some of the notes: it still seems uneven to my ears in this respect.  Feel free to ignore this clarification).

Okay, here's my entry for this week then: marginally more flightier than my previous attempt in this round (which I would still like to hear people's opinion about!)

flight

(ideally meant to looop; didn't bother though: the file was big enough already, and I don't think it detracts too much from the experience)

Am I to take it that everyone found my fugato & interlude absolutely unspeakably wretched?  Sad
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 06:47:08 PM »

What were the changes that you made?  (My memory of the older version is rather weak).  (by 'volume of the notes', I meant, some of the notes: it still seems uneven to my ears in this respect.  Feel free to ignore this clarification).

I evened out a few notes that popped a bit too brightly.  At this point I stick by what I have, upon my review of the piece it sounds accurate.  I intentionally wanted this to sound more like a live recording rather than over quantized and meticulously edited...you get those minute differences when you hear someone play live.

NOW!  On to your piece...

As to your question about the harmonization of the bass, that's actually my favorite part of the piece.  It doesn't last long enough, if this is supposed to loop.  I'd extend the part with that harmonization to be a full section, so that you have an ABA or ABAB form to the piece.  And I totally understand what you mean by hearing it too many times to make judgments, that happens to me ALL the TIME.
You're absolutely not crazy to think you can do without percussion.  Since this is flying through the clouds (!) it can be light and airy.  I myself almost did a woodwind ensemble instead of my piano/cello bit because of the airy qualities in the instruments.  All in all, I think you did a great job of portraying the idea you set out to portray.  I could easily see myself flying through the clouds to music like this.

increpare
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 03:10:54 AM »

As to your question about the harmonization of the bass, that's actually my favorite part of the piece.
The harmonization question I made was about my first (abandoned) prototype, called 'precipitate' or something like that.  That's the pieces you're talking about, not my actual submission(flight), right?

It doesn't last long enough, if this is supposed to loop. 
Nope, it needs to be finished Wink

Thanks for your comments on that piece.  I think I shall finish off that snippit right now.  I think I might introduce one small extra section, but yeah, I'm going to end up repeating A anyway. (I might elongate the B section).  (edit: finished it, sort of, but not happy with it: will take more work).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:26:25 AM by increpare » Logged
increpare
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »

hmm....pretty quiet for a final day, neh?
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »

maybe everyone is working too diligintly finishing their pieces to post..

or at least thats what an *tragically* optimistic person would say.
increpare
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 08:58:03 AM »

Should we be worried that the last time that our adjudicator logged in was "May 09, 2008, 08:20:47 am"?

Gosh this is getting suspenseful!

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you Smiley.  Sorry about my lack of activity here though, I've been a bit busy the past couple of weeks.  Also didn't get around to making a tune for this myself yet, but I'll get on that later today or maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, I closed my eyes and listened to all the tunes a couple times, and I've reached a decision!  Here goes..

increpare, I did like your tunes, but they didn't really give me the feeling of flying through clouds.  Sorry.

RadRuss, your tune is amazing, really well done and literally gave me chills at one point.  However, while I can picture myself flying through clouds to this tune, the feeling is unfortunately not as strong as with C418's and Annabelle's tunes.  Also it doesn't really sound like it's a beautiful day at all.  There's something really sinister there.  (Besides, you ran the previous challenge. Smiley)

C418, I really like your tune.  It really gives the feeling of flying through clouds, and I seriously considered choosing yours as the winner for a while.  It does seem a bit unfinished, though.  Too bad you didn't finish this, eh Wink

That leaves Annabelle Kennedy!  I can almost feel the clouds flying by as I listen to this, it does feel like a beautiful day, and the tune is generally excellent.  This deserves the first place!  Congratulations, Annabelle!
increpare
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »

Wheeeeee!  Congrats anna.  Now: new comp thread ASAP!
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »

yessssss thank you !!!! i will post up the new thread in a day or so.. i have an idea i think.
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »

Congrats Anna!  I look forward to the next challenge...these threads are becoming some of the favorite moments of my week!

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 06:04:14 AM »

What? The chosen winner has to make a thread? You are SO lucky I didn't win. Because I would never knew. That I had to make one, that is.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic