Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:22:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGoblin War Machine!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Goblin War Machine!  (Read 8662 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »

Hi all, just something thats been on the go between Black Market and Under the Garden updates, its...
GOBLIN WAR MACHINE!
EDIT: no... wait... just finished a sequel for it...
SUPER GOBLIN WAR MACHINE!

Its about smashing through human lands in your giant customizable goblin war machine, lots of physics and destruction and all that good stuff, feel free to check it out here!  Oh and you'll need flash 10 to play it, cheers!  Any feedback would be sweet, you guys are the first to see it as usual...

www.bigblockgames.com/games/goblin/

And heres some screenshots...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:39:33 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »

I think this is a brilliant idea, and it's really fun for the first few levels. However once I got to the first water level it seemed to become unreasonably difficult. My problem is that the spear throwing dudes always seem to hit me at least once, even if I kill them as soon as (or even before) they appear on the screen. Is there something I'm missing here?

There's a general problem that the game's presentation apparently wants me to rush through the levels, smashing everything in my path, but because of the spearmen I actually end up playing very slowly, edging forward and jumping back again to try and avoid being hit. But I know there has to be some sort of challenge in the game...

Two small bugs: Once, a guy on a boat kept standing there after the boat got destroyed, so he was floating just above the water. Also, I think a guy came back to life? Or maybe he disappeared and then reappeared? However it happened, I was about to kill the king when a spearman appeared underneath me and killed my last goblin. Very frustrating!

I love the customisation aspect though, and the graphics.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »

Your wheels will deflect the spears bro, ill check out those bugs now.  General rule of thumb is just put a giant wheel on the front or use a multi wheel war machine to stop arrows, usually does the trick.  I might remove some of those archers in boats on the seaside level, its a bit too hard too early... Uploading a new build shortly.

Anywho, thanks for testing it dude  Beer!  Is anyone else struggling with the difficulty?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:22:22 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:28:39 AM »

Awesome, not really struggling with difficulty but I also played the first few levels multiple times trying to get gold skulls early on.

hi
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:32:40 AM »

Sweet I did a few tweaks early on so it should be pretty cruisy now, onto the expansion pack levels!

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »

New law of sidescrolling indie games: The foreground must be solid black outlines with occasional colour highlights. The great god Ig hath spoken.

Originality aside, the graphics are cool and fit the theme well, however there can be occasions where it can make it hard to see what's going on.  I kept overturning and getting stuck at the start of the second level for no apparent reason.  I eventually figured out it was because there was an explosive barrel there.  The customisation is a nice feature, although it's a little unbalanced - the multi-wheel chassis make everything a lot easier, while a lot of the other upgrades seem to not be too beneficial at all.  It might be nice if the earlier chassis had some kind of SRIMECH so this wasn't such a handicap early on.  On the whole though it's a fun and slightly addictive game and I love the sense of humour.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »

actually for the most part the graphics were a throwback to a game I made in 2008 here, skydiving academy, which had the whole black foreground thing happening... Didn't know some indie god like that existed.

Ill see if we can add some sort of score handicap for the bigger multi-wheelers, though, to be honest they sometimes make certain levels harder and the 2 wheeler/tank style war machines are still the best for doing speed runs.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:16:05 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »

I really like the idea of the game, but I can't get past the second level because I keep flipping over and getting stuck! Am I just bad? Is there something wrong with the way I'm building my machine?

I am filled with confusion.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »

Where you flippin bro?  Like what part exactly?  It shouldn't be your war machine design that early in the game, the whole game can be completed on the bare stock 2 wheeler so not sure whats up.  If you can pinpoint the part where you flip I might be able to make it a bit more easy there, but chances are if your struggling on the 2nd then the 3rd is going to hurt.

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »

The first thing that struck me was that the game is kind of obnoxious. I know it's supposed to violent and silly, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

Apart from that, the gameplay is reasonably good, and I don't particularly like it or dislike it in any way.
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »

I really like the idea of the game, but I can't get past the second level because I keep flipping over and getting stuck! Am I just bad? Is there something wrong with the way I'm building my machine?

I am filled with confusion.

Use the brakes and don't go too fast.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:55:20 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »

That is a mean game, I like. I played until the first water level and there I got killed several times. Good to see something different than motocross bikes....  Wink

zazery
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »

I was able to get to level 7 but I noticed it was becoming increasingly difficult even before that. Since it's the first level where birds are introduced I suggest reducing the number of spear throwers on the ground, at least at the beginning. I felt quite overwhelmed compared to the previous levels.

It feels a bit unfair when enemies are shooting me from off screen. For example at the start of level 8, which I got to while writing this reply, the fallen tower at the start prevents me from backing up fast enough to dodge the onslaught of spears, and the bomb is only visible when you are in range of almost every enemy.

The part I liked the most is the writing at the start and end of the levels. Succinct writing that conveys a whole lot. I like the idea of knocking over the king at the end of a level but it feels a bit anti-climatic. Although I think that makes the writing even funnier. Interesting game overall.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »

good call dude, gonna try lowering the spearthrowers/spearthrowing boats range quite considerably which should make those levels much easier. Thanks for the feedback.

pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »

Ok, played till level 17 with three wheeler and 3 shot cannon. Didn't feel like grinding more skulls for better chassis.

Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »

Cool game but I simply can't get passed the bird level. Facepalm

I've been playing for two hours.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »

Do a shift refresh bro, I removed some of the spearmen, and the shooting distance on them has been drastically lowered, so should be a little easier now.

Frank Griffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »

I got pretty far.

I didnt know once I had a tech I could upgrade all of the wheels after that.
It was way to easy to die on a bridge.  I could be alive but just stuck.  Yea need something to really bump it out of a rut.  The king thing at the end reminded me of mario bros and the flag.  I likes the achievements.  My kids really liked it and just watched me play for 30 minutes.

Frank
NotHere
Level 0

jelly bean

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »

Hmmm... am I not allowed to have 0 skulls? For instance, I had 250 skulls and the text for the 3rd chassis said "Click to unlock", but clicking on it gave me the error tick sound and didn't do anything.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »

Good find man, fixing it now. Cheers for testing it.  Id be curious to hear if anyones having trouble with the whole flipping over thing, anyone struggling with it?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic