Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:17:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Doodles Thread
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 92
Print
Author Topic: Doodles Thread  (Read 325208 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: April 22, 2015, 09:11:15 AM »

that's an error, you will realize that too late

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1641 on: April 22, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »

do whatever you enjoy doing, it ought to be fun

Conker
« Reply #1642 on: April 22, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »

lil off topic but do you guys know of any software that has multiplayer drawing mode, kinda like photoshop or sai but with buddies? I know of some websites that let you draw together, but they're very limited.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: April 22, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »

lil off topic but do you guys know of any software that has multiplayer drawing mode, kinda like photoshop or sai but with buddies? I know of some websites that let you draw together, but they're very limited.

As practical and fun as this sounds, I've never heard of such a feature. Maybe the new Adobe products allow you to do that with their creative suite BS?

Conker
« Reply #1644 on: April 28, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1645 on: April 28, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »

i used to host a tigsource opencanvas thing every day for a few months back in 08 or 09, it was a lot of fun

if we get that going again I am all for it - i believe it has to be one of the older opencanvas versions, there should be an exe floating around on the web somewhere.

Conker
« Reply #1646 on: April 28, 2015, 10:24:23 PM »

wow this program is awesome! opencanvas 1.1 has great netplay support, had a blast with a friend thank you so much Atnas!
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1647 on: April 29, 2015, 01:13:16 AM »

Conker, I see you have reached the point where Thou Must Learn How The Shoulder Works

edit: speaking of which I had this lying around so hereyago

(looking at this the theory is more correct than the anatomy in detail - the bones don't stick together quite like I drew them here, but the mechanics of the shoulder make a bit more sense as drawn here)

edit again: MAN I am learning A LOT now. It seems that the main bone that the arm is connected to is actually the shoulder blade (what a surprise) (google 'skeleton' and just look) and the way I've drawn the clavicle as being connected to the upper arm is not correct O: but it IS correct that the clavicle connects to the muscular tissue of the shoulder! I think.

Anyway like this: put a hand on the opposite clavicle. Now move your arm around and raise and lower your shoulders. The clavicle follows. This is important!

And even more importantly, the movement of the arm does NOT start with the actual arm - the first node that moves is the shoulder. The shoulder can move forwards, backwards, up and down, and the shape of the entire torso changes as the shoulder moves. And (as I just realized) the first bone that moves is actually not the upper arm (humerus) but the shoulder blade. (experiment: try keeping your arms slack or rigid and move only your shoulders back, forth, up, down. Note how this changes your silhouette. In the future when drawing the position of an arm, this is where you must start)

and again, the clavicle also moves with the shoulder.

Edit again again: HALP I HAVE BEEN VERY INCORRECT ABOUT MANY DIFFERENT THINGS. Mainly: the clavicle does NOT move up and down when you raise the arm like in the picture you drew. Instead, it is the pectoral muscle that stretches between the breast and the shoulder that creates a fold that lies on top of the clavicle.

PHEW there is a LOT to learn here

edit more: actually, try shrugging with a shoulder and put your hand on the clavicle - it definitely moves up with the shoulder. so that's how it is
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:14:33 AM by Jad » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: April 29, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »

Fun things is that if conker focused more on teh basics basis, he would progress more. Ie seeing everything as shape and form, to master proportion and volume, it would make no difference between env and character. It takes 6 month to get there with just casual training.

Details and fluidity would follow naturally by the simple fact he don't stop drawing, composition is a great skills to have but less fundamental. If it wasn't for this forums I would not have found which are the true fundamentals, ie which one are walk before run.

Conker
« Reply #1649 on: April 29, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »

Yeah I don't really like not knowing what I'm drawing and just making guesses..

You guys  are right, I need to start focused training even if it's only 30 minutes a day or something
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1650 on: April 29, 2015, 07:27:39 AM »

well, anatomy and character drawing IS a fundamental. I think one should focus mostly on that which one is passionate about and then force oneself to do some tricky stuff too inbetween. for example I love doing anatomy / pose /fashion designy stuff right now which makes me feel like maybe I should force myself to do a bit of environment too just to not forget how.

anywyas I think conker has been progressing at a real fast pace.
Conker
« Reply #1651 on: April 29, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »

Thank you Jad! That means a lot coming from you.

I appreciate all of your guys help as I draw, every time I post something I get feedback and it really helps me, so thanks everyone

edit: i saved your study guide jad, thanks again
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 29, 2015, 07:34:21 AM »

Ya I always check out the forums even if im not posting. Been liking alot of your recent stuff man. Keep it coming!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 29, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »

well, anatomy and character drawing IS a fundamental. I think one should focus mostly on that which one is passionate about and then force oneself to do some tricky stuff too inbetween. for example I love doing anatomy / pose /fashion designy stuff right now which makes me feel like maybe I should force myself to do a bit of environment too just to not forget how.

anywyas I think conker has been progressing at a real fast pace.

I would say it's not as fundamental as the very basic, you construct everything from shape, volume and proportion, everything else derive from that, be it composition, character or anatomy. It's harder to get anatomy if you don't develop proportion because shape won't connect or will be off, it will be difficult to get character if your volume collapse all around.

The thing is that when you draw for a long time thsese thing come naturally you don't think about it anymore, it's like walking, you don't think about it, you can focus on more advance stuff like ... dancing.

It may sound harsh, I'm not advocating he does LESS of what he is doing but MORE of the basics. I would rather see him becoming the next Sandoval that the next Ken Pender or Rob Liefeld. He should post more about things with construction line than attempt at finished stuff.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 29, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »

I'm interested in the basics, where can I find good resources?

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1655 on: April 29, 2015, 11:31:42 PM »

I dunno I googled 'how to draw' and this page came up http://www.dragoart.com/

that's absolutely not how to understand the basics, so yeah Sad

gmuimg JOMBERTLY: hey if conker is supposed to study the basics that means that _I_ should also study the basics which is a hassle and I don't wanna uuugh
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 30, 2015, 04:19:17 AM »

I need too Lips Sealed but game dev is kinda a bitch when you are alone, you wanna be good everywhere, you don't gonna had that time, time is scarce, i'm stuck in a limbo where I have some decent skills but flatten and rigid due to lack of practice.

WE all need practice, it never stop, unless you can invoke reality from your mind, but then you stop being an artist and start being a god ... don't rob free will from your creation then  Who, Me?

huh? ... hey ... hum ...

Okay I'll come with good reference about it when I have time ... But people read good drawing book, they don't read and apply the step, they just look at the image and reproduce them  No No NO that's not how you do it, READ and UNDERSTAND  Cry I have seen so many aspiring wannabe done just that ... why are you looking at me ...  Who, Me?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: April 30, 2015, 05:36:19 AM »

Less talk more drawing, those I currently have on my desk because I warm up back to drawing.

I'm currently at the level just above conker, Ie I got the basic just down, I use to be higher but hey! I'll came back to it with proper training.

It's ballpoint! so no eraser is ever used, I never ever use that. Some advanced drawer confuse my drawing being made with pencil, nope I modulate pressure.

SO you can see typical flat profile/face, deemphasis on hand, stiff poses  Giggle Typical of noobs

However shape and proportion are not too bad, line also is confident most of the time and volume takes some times hit but works, construction line are also apparent so you can see the thought process. It's global shapes to inner shapes.

To be frank in those I was less interesting in doing good drawing and more on exploring, "writing", character visual design. You can see the visual language evolve as I pin down the character. (You can see I work on defining silhouettes).

edit:
Also this is when observation became more important, once you get basic shape, volume and proportions, it will lead you to advance shapes and compositions.

Edit: Observation is ALWAYS important, at any stage, it force you to think about shape, volume and proportion.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:16:51 AM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1658 on: April 30, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »

Is this pretty bomber fan art??

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 30, 2015, 06:50:47 AM »

No I was mixing a black girl + space channel five + black rock shooter (big hand girl) + metroid + Holiday from revolution 60 "conceptually" instead of literally. A design exercise I often make, the outline version is the first version, it's straightforward in its influence, the second is more conceptually thought out as the character start to gain her identity and the third one is a close up to fix some visual stuff and explore some more idea.

edit: btw the bird below is rainbow dash + sonic "conceptually", haven't thought out of the body yet hence why it's bad Who, Me?

the rabbit and tiger is about finding visual for the local version of brother br'er (kompè lapin)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:13:57 AM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 92
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic