Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:54:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Doodles Thread
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 92
Print
Author Topic: Doodles Thread  (Read 324897 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 30, 2015, 07:58:33 AM »

I'm interested in the basics, where can I find good resources?

here:

THISD IS REALLY THE BASICS YOU NEED TO MASTER DOWN TO MUSCLES MEMORIES
Like walking, it should stop being tedious once it became second nature,
make it so that you draw even while sleeping.

Things I do informally without even thinking about them btw, it's like you learn to calibrate yourself instinctively when you draw for a long time.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: April 30, 2015, 08:29:04 AM »

BTW past the basics, drawing is basically KNOWING. If you don't know what to draw it will come out badly and flat, so the more you know (using reference, experimentation and observation) the better you will draw.

BY knowing I mean two things:

1. INTENTION (what to draw)
Things that is in the brain, your visual literacy, anything you will memorize, shape, details, etc ... and use to compose new form. Basically the "eyes", your capacity to see, and what you know is what you see.

2. EXECUTION (how to draw)
The muscle memories, instinct in drawing, "feeling" the form when you draws it. This need constant tuning and maintenance, it decays faster than 1. You end up frustrated because your eyes si out of sync.

You can see a lot of beginner trying to run before walking, they generally end up frustrated or hit a sweet spot between frustration and enjoyment at a fixed level. For example the reason I tell Conker to step up his works is because I see he enjoy drawing (moe blob) character (enjoyment) but don't want to put up with the frustration, he might get stuck at that level and never really improve at all.

I know because I got stuck when I switch to game design.

This image makes two points:

1st point is that this image is 10 years old (or more) so I haven't improve since.

2nd is that it demonstrate how KNOWING impact your drawing, the left drawing I had no idea what I was doing, it's a design exercise as it mixed different known character visual into one, the right image is way better in composition, proportion, poses and env ... that's because I now know what I'm doing and not thinking about it, I just execute and personality flows much more.

That's why noob get stuck at face and profile too, that's what they know best, they know where the line goes, how an eyes should looks, what are the ratio between elements, add perspective and rotation and all of that goes to waste, it's a local maxima.

That's why you need to train into the both ways, intuition and executions, by looking at varied references, and training muscle to retain all of it.

Conclusion

1. Don't get stuck at bad drawing, there are just prototype and looking at them should make you confident at where to look at for improvement (assuming you know what you are looking for), so just continue to learn.

2. train, never stop and increase your literacy and execution, keep the eyes and the hand in sync. Training should be as mindless as possible, it's about lifting the weight until it weight nothing, it's as straightforward as that. Just repeat as much as possible. Zone out on it. Just do it.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 30, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »

So, if I understand everything you say, I should:

-Experiment a lot and draw many different things in many different styles

-Focus on the structure of things and not the details because the details will come with practice of the structure

-Practice often so as not to lose progress and make the process of drawing something a second nature

Did I miss anything? (Also thanks for providing help)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 30, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »

Look at the video too.

But more or less. At least to begin and get to a decent level. There is a different kind of exercise set up to UNDO what you learn lol but in a good way (ie loosening yourself), you can't go there without learning first the basics.

Edit:
a bit more on that mysterious level, it's when drawing stop making sense and EXPRESSING became the focus. Ie it can lead you to understand and appreciate malevitch, mondrian, children art, beginner art, duchamps and picasso more than surface level, you will "get" them without being confused because you will have gone through the same questions, experiences, difficulty and revelation. I didn't have any art training nor knew its history when I first met mondrian and I "get" it, so evident, but I recognize it's a very artist lead emotion, it feed on your experience as an artist (good or not).

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1664 on: April 30, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: April 30, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »

Oh seen on twitter!

Conker
« Reply #1666 on: April 30, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »

love those doodles jad!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1667 on: May 01, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »

Jad, what do u use to draw like that? those famous copic markers or what are they called? (i mean the orange parts)
tho I also wonder what do u use for blacks

anyways: I'm drawing myself but cool, will post progress (didn't draw anything since November ;___; )

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1668 on: May 01, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »

they're called 'mild liner'. they're just usual water based markers. copics bleed too much. copics are amazing, though.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: May 01, 2015, 03:24:12 PM »

i have to buy some cool stuff for traditional drawing, atm I'm stack with pencils

anyways, progress as promised (I know you were waiting for it  Cool )

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 08, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »

Cow
Level 0

Queen Jellybean

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 09, 2015, 09:50:01 PM »

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 12, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »

An idea that came to me while listening to Touhou music. You can tell who the inspiration is.

I might turn this into the final boss of an RPG or something, since I've been brewing gameplay ideas for that genre of games.

ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1673 on: May 14, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »

some dumb recent WIPs

i'm honestly amazed i could get this far with them on my own! i may finish the painterly ones eventually but they take damn forever and i just work on them to relax.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: May 15, 2015, 03:27:49 AM »

Practicing grass.  I think I have a good technique going.  Maybe?

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
lobstersteve
« Reply #1675 on: May 15, 2015, 05:05:41 AM »

i didn't actually draw a lot since my childhood/early teens, just made game sprites recently.
maybe i'll get into drawing again now
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 15, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »

Practicing grass.  I think I have a good technique going.  Maybe?

Isn't that how most pixel artists do it?

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1677 on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »

ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1678 on: May 20, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »

I'm trying to get back to doodling regularly and frequently, and I found my brush pen.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1679 on: May 25, 2015, 01:04:24 PM »

I saw a girl dressed like this. A yellow raincoat. I liked it very much and now I drew it
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:28:26 PM by Jad » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 92
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic