Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:37:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Doodles Thread
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 92
Print
Author Topic: Doodles Thread  (Read 323215 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: May 10, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

he inspired me to try and draw once again

meh

ink.inc
« Reply #641 on: May 10, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »

John draws really Asian looking people.

Being Asian-American myself (my mother is Japanese and Filipino, and my dad is a cocktail mix of Asian ethnicities and half Spanish), it's an ethnicity/viewpoint I want to see more of in games/media. Relatable characters whose personalities extend beyond 'quirky computer guy' or 'maths nerd'. So whenever I make these character sheets, I generally try to bring in that perspective. Half the characters I've made thus far (for this project) are specifically Asian, and the other half are either hapa or indeterminate (hence why they look Asian).

For this project I want to include other ethnicities as well (Indian-American, Afro-American, Latino-American etc.), as a sort of a reference/homage to the place where I was brought up. Sacramento (California) is noted for its high degree of racial diversity, with people from pretty much all around the world living together. It's interesting, but I didn't even really notice how diverse Sacramento actually was until I had lived in a place that was much more homogeneous for a few years. Going to a Costco in Sacramento and seeing all the different faces is wildly different from going to a Costco in say, Middle America. And it's that sort of immigrant/melting pot/ salad bowl/ whatever perspective that I (hope) will be interesting and a bit of a change of pace.

As an aside, I actually feel somewhat uncomfortable when I'm in large crowds (30+) of any single ethnicity, even crowds comprised entirely of Asian Americans. I'm much more at home in a diverse city. :I

There is this strange feeling mix of modern day cover girls and 50's american style. Can't "see" it objectively. It's a kind of modern new school. Can't believe you get inspired by manga, if you were the chara designer of evangelion, I think it would have triple his cult status at worst.

haha, i doubt that. but i guess i do pull a lot of my references/inspiration from fashion magazines and old american tv shows, as well as western comic books. i draw a lot of inspiration from manga/anime too, though!

man, i now really want to do some higher detail renditions in addition to these rough sketches; range murata, here i come :I
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:25:28 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 10, 2013, 05:19:27 PM »

Let's be frank, I don't see that much asianess in sando's work Huh? When you simplify visual aspect it tend to look that way ... Now that's for the IMHO Tongue

Melting pot? Add some "ebony" people : P not just random generic brown black, actual ebony skin. So there is more people thinking about solving their stylization.

I'm not ebonic, I Very vaguely looks black but I'm caraibean.

BUT when I tried to "render" an ebonic people in a stylize context, damn I realize something WAS missing! Every phenotype has a stylized shortcut, beginner can pick from the formula to build their style out of it. Most skip ebony skin ... the reason is that it's damn hard graphically AND the social stigma attach to it.

I'm currently doing some research about, remember it's about simplifying.

My current problem is to make the eyelash and eyebrows pop more because that's where emotion and personality are conveyed (without it looking like make up), and to find better way to bring readability to the face to make them more "relatable".

/proselytism

Blambo
« Reply #643 on: May 10, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »

John draws really Asian looking people.

Being Asian-American myself (my mother is Japanese and Filipino, and my dad is a cocktail mix of Asian ethnicities and half Spanish), it's an ethnicity/viewpoint I want to see more of in games/media. Relatable characters whose personalities extend beyond 'quirky computer guy' or 'maths nerd'. So whenever I make these character sheets, I generally try to bring in that perspective. Half the characters I've made thus far (for this project) are specifically Asian, and the other half are either hapa or indeterminate (hence why they look Asian).

For this project I want to include other ethnicities as well (Indian-American, Afro-American, Latino-American etc.), as a sort of a reference/homage to the place where I was brought up. Sacramento (California) is noted for its high degree of racial diversity, with people from pretty much all around the world living together. It's interesting, but I didn't even really notice how diverse Sacramento actually was until I had lived in a place that was much more homogeneous for a few years. Going to a Costco in Sacramento and seeing all the different faces is wildly different from going to a Costco in say, Middle America. And it's that sort of immigrant/melting pot/ salad bowl/ whatever perspective that I (hope) will be interesting and a bit of a change of pace.

As an aside, I actually feel somewhat uncomfortable when I'm in large crowds (30+) of any single ethnicity, even crowds comprised entirely of Asian Americans. I'm much more at home in a diverse city. :I

That's really interesting. I'm Asian myself, but because I felt more surrounded by Caucasian people, I always tended to draw Caucasians. It's the sort of western art bias that's existed for a long time, where certain phenotypes have entered a symbolic as well as abstract tendency in our aesthetic sense. It's cool to see people doing different t stuff.
ink.inc
« Reply #644 on: May 10, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »

Let's be frank, I don't see that much asianess in sando's work Huh? When you simplify visual aspect it tend to look that way ... Now that's for the IMHO Tongue

This is true as well; when I add shading/definition, faces sometimes take on entirely different characteristics.

With regards to drawing people with darker skin tones: I generally have difficulty portraying that level of darkness because (in terms of contrast) it's a lot harder to make out the face. So I typically go for something a bit lighter (due to lack of skill). It's something I want to practice though.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »

There is this strange feeling mix of modern day cover girls and 50's american style.
60's nouvelle vague

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Blambo
« Reply #646 on: May 10, 2013, 06:31:57 PM »

This is true as well; when I add shading/definition, faces sometimes take on entirely different characteristics.

With regards to drawing people with darker skin tones: I generally have difficulty portraying that level of darkness because (in terms of contrast) it's a lot harder to make out the face. So I typically go for something a bit lighter (due to lack of skill). It's something I want to practice though.

Also interesting. As far as I've seen, as long as there's an acceptably steep value gradient, any base tone of skin should be render-able unless you do strictly lineart without value gradient. Also key features of total darkness, such as the nostrils, pupils, eyebrows and mouth gap, should always be the darkest part of the face.

I've tried it before. The color isn't just brown; there're a lot of yellows and reds just because skin tone works like that.
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »

I really love dark skin and one thing that I've noticed is that the majority of artists that depict black skin often get it wrong.  What I've learned is that the trick to dark skin is sometimes bluish tones. Darker things actually get colors from the atmosphere reflected on to it. So in day time, the highlight could be bluer and not the brownish red but this also depends on ethnicity.
This skin tone is a bit on the lighter scale but still kind of depicts the bluish hue in highlight I'm talking about.

Blambo
« Reply #648 on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »

Yeah, I totally got that wrong. But doesn't that rely on the light reflections outdoors and in the daytime?

I really like that sort of impressionist color exaggeration; using blue when blue would've neutralized with orange and greyed out. Or does reflection just not work like that with skin? I would've thought that skin is an example of a material with softer and less defined reflection qualities.
mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »

oh that wasn't directed at you blambo! It was a statement toward many artists in general. I even see that flaw in presets on game character customization systems. I was writing that before you posted- sorry
You're right light reflection does rely on whether you are indoors or out, but light and color in general rely on surroundings, right. So it's something to consider when realizing if your going  realistic or more stylized. But I think it can help bring variation and familiarity to the tone.
Skin is a softer material but its not the material type that makes it have reflective properties, It's fact that it's darker- in what I've observed at least.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 10, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »

Blueish is true for any "realistic" skin tone, pale skin get it too! But it's more visible on ebony skin as the specularity is a defining factor. Also skin is not a "material" in the CG common sense as it vary depending on where it is.

But yeah, I'm Planning for character customization system (representing "normal" people), that's why I can't cheat as much as I want (using color instead of black for problematic feature that blend with the skin).

Don't worry everybody does that, that's why it's a challenge.

I'm not sure it's about lack of skills, black skin looks good with a lot of light rendering, it's in stylize context it falls appart. It's just that nobody really thought about it to create appropriate convention.

That's why I proposing the challenge.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:07:04 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #651 on: May 10, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:54:04 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2013, 05:28:43 AM »

(Doodles = sketch's?)

For a Sketch A Day thing.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2013, 07:26:58 AM »

doodles, sketches, scribbles, aren't they all the same thing?

you should work on your linework, it's extremely sawy :p

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:37:55 AM by ANtY » Logged

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2013, 08:28:18 AM »

Gimym TILBERT, well put and great examples.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:35:04 AM by mankoon » Logged

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 11, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »

Just found some of the stuff I did in high school art class and I thought I would throw it up here

Joker, based on a pic in a comic

Peter Tosh, based on a pic

V, based on a film still

Think happy thoughts.
ClayB
« Reply #656 on: May 11, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »

I could believe this is an asian pirate and not an african. still nice faces as always. what program do you use for this lineart?
ink.inc
« Reply #657 on: May 11, 2013, 09:57:15 AM »

photoshop; i mostly use the circle brush and then a combination of brushes made by kinnas, as well as some i found scattered throughout the web

also yeah i guess it looks a bit like teal'c more than someone with more typical african features
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:06:13 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: May 11, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »

Gimym TILBERT, well put and great examples.

This is awesome, will you be making a finished piece from this?

Ashkin
« Reply #659 on: May 11, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »

photoshop; i mostly use the circle brush and then a combination of brushes made by kinnas, as well as some i found scattered throughout the web
Can you link some good brushes? I'm trying to get used to photoshop (this interface aaaaa)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 92
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic