Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 08:02:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Versus Competition: Rules
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Versus Competition: Rules  (Read 141422 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:19:13 AM »

This is a TIGSource Free Form Competition.

What is TIGSource?  You're sitting in it.

What is Free Form?  Any format goes! But the game must at least run on Win32 platforms.  Sorry.

TIGSource competitions are short competitions based around a particular theme.  The emphasis is on collaboration, sharing, and, most of all, the completion of projects.  i.e., it's an exercise in making small, tight, enjoyable/interesting games that can be played from beginning to end.  There are no prizes involved.

What is the theme of this competition?

The theme of this competition is VERSUS.

Many of the participants of last year's TIGJam were treated to some late-night brawls between eager combatants in Paul Hubans' MADHOUSE and Mark Essen's NIDHOGG (as well as sporadic skirmishes in Street Fighter III: Third Strike and Super Street Fighter IV). At GAMMA IV, we engaged in the tragicomical four-player mayhem that is B.U.T.T.O.N. Truly, these battles instilled in us not only the warrior spirit and the joy of friendly competition, but also the sadistic pleasure that comes from watching other people pit themselves in mortal kcombat.

For the TIGSource Versus Compo, the rules are simple: make a game that pits at least one human player versus another human player. The rest (genre, online/offline, etc.) is up to you.

Start Date: Tuesday, January 18th

End Date: Sunday, February 27th, Midnight

Rules: Entries should be started and ended within the timeframe of the competition (feel free to put up your game threads and begin brainstorming earlier, though) and must be made for the competition only.  Collaborations are allowed and, in fact, are welcomed.  You may submit more than one game (up to a maximum of three).

As usual, you may start a thread to track the development of your game!  Be sure to select the "Versus" message icon to accompany your post.

Melly's addendum:

Those of you who don't have many people to test your games with, take this opportunity to go out and meet interesting new people through the power of gaming. Grin

Those of you REALLY without people to test your game with, consider coding AI and bots to complement your game! Machines need fun too!

You want an easy way to set up online matches with other TIGglets? Go to the tigIRC at:
irc://irc.esper.net/tigIRC

To enter, it's simple: just create a thread for your project right here in the Versus forum and document in it the progress of your game.

When you finish your entry, place the word "[FINISHED]" after your thread's title. Example: "My awesome online gaem" => "My awesome online gaem [FINISHED]". You can also use this to announce a cancellation.

It's perfectly okay to reuse old code and pre-built engines and/or frameworks. It's only the game itself that needs to be done in the compo's timeframe.

Your game is your own, TIGSource holds no rights to any games made in the compo. You may do as you wish with it, including selling, distributing and making sweet love to it.

[/melly]

Let's do it!  NinjaHand Shake RightHand Shake LeftTiger
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:28:53 AM by Melly » Logged
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »

AKA the compo where even fewer people played any of the resulting games than any other compo before.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »

Nice awesome! Thanks Derek! I'm excited to work on an entry and also playing all the resulting multiplayer games! I always thought there aren't enough indie multiplayer games. This is going to be so much fun!

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »

AKA the compo where even fewer people played any of the resulting games than any other compo before.

You're pooping in the beans again, fartron. You don't have to have beans if you don't want them, but don't poop in them so others can have some

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »

The Text the Halls compo entries only got 15 votes between all of them, and that didn't make it any less of a contest.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »

It's all fartron can do now.

Let us hold a minute of silence.

Also posting about this everywhere.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
namre
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »

I have received and read the rules, your excellency. I shall no go ahead and make a game people will fight over.  Hand Any Key Hand Any Key
ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »

Awesome theme! I'm actually excited for this, versus/multiplayer games are ones I always want to create, but can never find the inspiration to do so. NOW'S MY CHANCE! Mwahaha.

Flash CS5 + FlashDevelop + TweenLite + Flint + Player.IO = HERE WE COME!

I'm gonna set up a nifty little system where you can just copy/paste URLs to friends to join rooms and play against each other first, so it's super nifty to test Smiley I hope folks'll be hanging out in IRC lots this week!
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »

The Text the Halls compo entries only got 15 votes between all of them

touché

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:52:10 AM »

I love this theme and it's potential, F the haters.

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:52:44 AM »

Certainly it's a challenge in itself to organise two people, not including yourself, to play your game at any given time and I think it'll be interesting to see how those who are interested in that in the competition try and work around that in the way that they develop their games.

Or I guess you could subvert the wording of the challenge and make a game literally about two people playing a game.   Shrug

Still, this gives me an excellent opportunity to brush up on my network programming skills.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »

I think we should have a dedicated thread for those who have access to another person they could test with, even if they're not putting in a game. I liked that people who just did art or music could really contribute to assemblee and people who just coded could do their thing too, so we should see if we can't involve some volunteers who might not make games but can test 'em up, with a couple gentle guidelines, to the tune of:

X has access to friend Y. X and Y have volunteered to test some games. Anyone who has a game worth testing post a link for X and Y here, but ONLY if your game has a major feature that needs testing immediately or is a stable milestone, so X and Y won't get buried in dozens of requests to test every single version of every game.

Maybe have a side vote to honour the best tester of the competition  Durr...?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ChevyRay
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 09:56:19 AM »

I love this theme and it's potential, F the haters.

I don't really blame them, but I think that, considering the popularity and success of previous TIGSource competitions, some amazing shit is gonna come flying out of this awesome storm.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »

Can we create a stickied collaborate thread or something? I'd like to find an artist for this one so I can focus on getting a game actually finished.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »

Whoa, I just noticed this compo is gonna last a WHILE.

ChevyRay
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »

That's good! Networked games take a little bit of fidgeting to get right Smiley
Conker534
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »

This is my first compo, so do I sign up somewhere, or what? XD
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »

You make a thread, and you make a game.

ChevyRay
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 10:23:10 AM »

Yeah just make a thread, make sure to select the correct image tag for your topic, and just put a little [Finished] tag in front of it when you're done and try to hype it up!

Good luck Smiley
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »

I have an idea.. but I just moved to a new city and the only computer I can use to develop right now is an old MacBook Air.. I'll see what I can do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic