Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:18:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]  (Read 106528 times)
ink.inc
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

Code and Art by John Sandoval

Music by Artem Bank (Shojin)

This game is a survival simulation based on the economic principle of scarcity.

You and your friend have just crash landed on a godforsaken planet. Your space ship is utterly destroyed, and the two of you are completely alone in the outer rims of the human empire. But before your transmitter burned out during atmospheric entry, you managed to get a distress signal to the nearest station. Unfortunately, that station is 30 days away, and the contents of your cargo bay (which, as luck would have it, exploded) have either been scattered throughout the planet, or just burnt away. Your initial supplies are thus severely limited. Though at first you must make attempts to work together to build shelter and find whatever supplies you can scrounge up, it becomes clear that you and your friend are in direct competition for the two most valuable commodities on this desolate land: food and water. And no matter how hard the two of you search, there is only enough for one.

1 week left

To break it down again, two players must work together to find enough food to survive for 30 days-- but there is only enough for just one of them to survive. Expect hoarding, lying, backstabbing, and ultimate betrayal. Watch as your friendship deteriorates into nothingness. Because when it comes down to it, nobody wants to be the one to die.

I've got a ton of ideas on how to keep things extremely tense between the two players, all of which will be executed by an AI director. One person has far more food than the other? Then let the other one stumble upon a blaster. Players getting along too well? Then have space bears raid the communal food bin. I'll work on getting local play implemented first, then online play if I have enough time. My ultimate goal for this project is to have every game end with an irl fistfight that has everyone involved in tears. Ideally, it will crush souls and end relationships. Okay, maybe not. But at the very least, expect there to be shit-talkin' and shoving.

Runs through the game should be around 30-45 minutes long, with randomly generated Event content (ie meteor showers, quakes, space bear attacks), so that the game is a little different every time around. 

Wish me luck, and expect something totally radical!

PS: Eventually, this game will need music and sounds. If you feel up to the task, go ahead and PM me. It's not a total necessity right now, but sooner or later I'd like to have a soundtrack that showcases some of the talent we have here on TIGS (as opposed to just stealing tunes from CCMixter). Shojin is takin' care of the tunage. Thanks to everyone who offered, though!

HERE'S THE FIRST PIECE OF MUSIC WRITTEN FOR THE PROJECT, FOR THOSE WHO ARE CURIOUS: http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/alone

AND THE SECOND PIECE:
http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/best-of-friends

AND ALSO THE THIRD:
http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/there-can-only-be-one

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:08:49 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »

Ah yes, but will it also be...totally tubular?

ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »

Yes

Everything you ask

And moar
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

This is going to be wizard.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »

I was hoping for multiplayer cave story when I saw the title.

Undecided

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »

Coop Cave Story.

Sucks that Nicalis doesn't know what fun is.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »

Make it so if you die in the game, you die in real life. That will really heat up the game.

ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »

I've got a couple of ideas bouncing around my head. Don't want to reveal them right now.

Spent a few minutes pickin' out some potential color schemes, just for fun.

Exciting stuff.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »

Bottom colors are absolutely GORGEOUS
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »

Love the colors. Jjust yesterday my friends and I were looking for good mutliplayer games. Seems our problems will be gone after this compo ends!
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »

Two player Firecracker battle?

I think yes.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »

SCREENSHOT'S PERFECT. IT'S DONE. SHIP IT

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
ink.inc
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 12:15:48 AM »

Quick mockup of the project, just to get a feel of what I sort of want it to look like. Added small description to first post.

At full size.

And at half size.

TO EXPLAIN:

The number in the top middle is the days you have left to survive.
The number right below that is the days of food you have in your communal storage bin (for one person).
The two numbers on the sides are the amount of food each player is holding on their person. Players must put the food they find into the communal bin in order to be able to find/hold new food; however, this is inherently dangerous to do, as either player can get access to it from there.

The green bar is HP, the red bar is Hunger, and the blue bar is Thirst. When either of the latter two hit zero, HP starts to drop. When both of them are at zero, HP starts to drop rapidly.

Expect weaponry, status effects, weather effects, monsters, futuristic machinery and a sadistic AI director.

The moment both players have enough food for one person to survive, expect all pretenses of continued comradery to drop.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:53:00 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 01:03:56 AM »

Quick mockup of the project, just to get a feel of what I sort of want it to look like. Added small description to first post.

snip

TO EXPLAIN:

The number in the top middle is the days you have left to survive.
The number right below that is the days of food you have in your communal storage bin (for one person).
The two numbers on the sides are the amount of food each player is holding on their person. Players must put the food they find into the communal bin in order to be able to find/hold new food; however, this is inherently dangerous to do, as either player can get access to it from there.
Expect weaponry, status effects, weather effects, monsters, futuristic machinery and a sadistic AI director.

The moment both players have enough food for one person to survive, expect all pretenses of continued comradery to drop.

Sounds awesome!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:28:55 AM »

This sounds awesome. I expect it will soon devolve from friendly survival to a brutal battle of deception and betrayal.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:33:13 AM »

Sounds awesome!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

This sounds awesome. I expect it will soon devolve from friendly survival to a brutal battle of deception and betrayal.

Thanks you guys!

Here's a fun little thing I whipped up; probably won't be in the game though:

I'm still trying to decide what I want the aesthetic of the game to be. Something clean and streamlined with good colors... but I want to avoid 'cutesy' as much as possible.

For the scale of the project, pixel art is a must. I simply can't crank out quality high resolution assets and code netplay/gameplay, while simultaneously working out game flow all within a month (not to mention I need to find someone to help me write music).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:15:54 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 06:37:23 AM »

Is this

Is this a game about hobos.

Please tell me this is a game about hobos.
ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »

That would be admittedly pretty fucking hilarious (if perhaps incredibly insensitive), but no.

EDIT:
Actually, if I have enough time, I could make that into a graphical mod... but in the time limit that I have, it's pretty unfeasible. Besides, I suck at drawing gritty urban environments. Tongue
EDIT2:
The more I think about that idea...
EDIT3:
Maybe when I have enough time, I'll make that idea into a total game mod... it's almost too good to pass up. It's not quite the atmosphere I want for my entry, but it's pretty funny regardless. Oh, the shenanigans I could get into...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:05:34 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
pgil
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »

(not to mention I need to find someone to help me write music).

I'd be interested in doing some music once the project gets going. Not sure what kind of style you're looking for, but here are some examples of my stuff:

http://8bc.org/music/pgil/Stop+Me+%28MilkyTracker%29/
http://8bc.org/music/pgil/What+Bird+Technology+Has+Done+for+You/
http://8bc.org/music/pgil/Stay+Awake/
ink.inc
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:45 AM »

Love your stuff! I'll definitely keep you in mind.

Kiss Kiss Kiss
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic