Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:39:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Frudglebutt! [DONE... well, kinda!]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Frudglebutt! [DONE... well, kinda!]  (Read 14143 times)
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »

Download Latest (V0.3, Beta PINUS):
Windows - OSX - Forum Post

~ OVERVIEW: ~
Frudglebutt was originally a cross between the cardgame 'shithead' and a 2D platformer/brawler, now it's mostly just a brawler though.

~ KEY FEATURES: ~
  • up to 5 players
  • gamepad support
  • 3 game modes (2 of which don't suck!)
  • customisable controls
  • Custom character setup

~ WHAT'S NEW: ~
  • wolfman, monkey, succubus, incubus, crocodile and penguin avatars
  • custom characters, control settings and game options now get saved

~ STILL TO COME: ~
  • sound
  • music
  • balancing
it'll be a while before I do this though, I do have other games to make ^__^
also there's a possibility of adding network play later, but I'm not promising anything.

~ ALL RELEASES: ~

~ SCREENS: ~

~ ORIGINAL POST: ~
I have too many important other things to do. no one in their right mind would take part in this if they were in my position. I have things that I should be getting on with instead of this.

oh well, fuck it, ima make a game!

heres a concept I just drew for an idea I'll hate tomorrow:

it's a bunny girl, they are sexy, right?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:26:44 PM by SophieH » Logged

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »

Apparently, but she scares me  Who, Me?
Looks a bit like Alice as a spree-killer in Wonderland.. any influence or am I reading too much into the shapes?
ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »

I vote best-out-of-3 spear-tossing game! Sort of like battleship, but 2D and with spear-tossing! Maybe you can't see the other player's map or something, but get informed how close your spears were to the target, and when you hit one.

Cheesy no idea if you had a plan yet or not, just thought I'd toss that out there, since it sounded simple enough to do as a short game hehe.

Good luck sophie!
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »

If you are going to hate the idea tomorrow you should finish it today. Judging from past work this can't be anything but awsome. Good luck Sophie.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »

and here I was thinking you were going to make a competitive fishing game.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »

Apparently, but she scares me  Who, Me?
Looks a bit like Alice as a spree-killer in Wonderland.. any influence or am I reading too much into the shapes?

nope that's pretty much it, my thinking was 'brawler with a card-game theme' and my head jumped to Alice Smiley

I vote best-out-of-3 spear-tossing game! Sort of like battleship, but 2D and with spear-tossing!

yeah, I'm not going to do anything like that! :D tbh I can't stand guessing games like battleship, sooooooo boring! Tongue

If you are going to hate the idea tomorrow you should finish it today. Judging from past work this can't be anything but awsome. Good luck Sophie.

too late, I already hate most of it! D: thanks for the encouragement though! :D

and here I was thinking you were going to make a competitive fishing game.

this is always my fallback, in fact I might even be able to work it into my current idea maybe.

currently the idea is retaining the card and fighting themes, and combining a 2D brawler with the 'shithead' cardgame. it's presenting a few conceptual challenges but I think it could turn out quite interesting. (although whether it turns out to be something I can complete in the time limit is another issue)

I need to think more on my idea anyway, but thanks for the words of encouragement guys!

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »

local multiplayer is go!

got little randomly coloured test models jumping around in unity. should support 5 player local but I only have 2 gamepads and the keyboard. going to have to test it with more players on tuesday. :B

pretty much ditched the bunny girl thing now, game is going to be a cross between shithead (the card game) and smash bros brawl or something.

a cardgame? YES. its going to be AWESOME. basically, instead of just taking turns to place a card from your hand on the deck, if it's your turn, you have say 15 seconds to do it, fail or place the wrong card and you lose a life. not your turn to place? use cards in your hand as weapons/explosives/shield to encourage others to lose their lives and keep your own Smiley

probably not going to be particularly easy to learn, but I don't care. people want to enjoy the game, they best put in the effort >___>
besides I think this idea makes for a nice balance of action and strategy Smiley

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »

probably not going to be particularly easy to learn, but I don't care. people want to enjoy the game, they best put in the effort >___>

If the game was hard to make, it should be hard to play? Tongue
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:19:23 PM by TobiasW » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »

a cardgame? YES. its going to be AWESOME. basically, instead of just taking turns to place a card from your hand on the deck, if it's your turn, you have say 15 seconds to do it, fail or place the wrong card and you lose a life. not your turn to place? use cards in your hand as weapons/explosives/shield to encourage others to lose their lives and keep your own Smiley

What's with all the card-games?

Also, this sounds pretty nice! I look forward to trying it out; that gameplay sounds neat, and I've always liked your style.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »

If the game was hard to make, it should be hard to play? Tongue

naw, what I meant was since there are a lot of rules, that will make it harder on new players. ^__^;

anyhoo, screeny time!

got most of it in place really, you can put cards on the pile (based on shithead rules), pick up cards from the deck, and use cards to battle directly too. use different suits for different effects, diamonds leave a trail of pointy crystals, hearts give you a temporary shield, spades can be used as a projectile weapon and jokers steal a life from each other player and gives them to you :D

just need to set up a handful of things and matches will actually be playable, after that I'll make it so you can have different customisable profiles instead of having to just have the random character colours and basic model pictured. after that I just work on the pretties I guess. I am expecting to have a go at making it play across the net, but it's not really a goal for the competition, I have other things to be doing and I wouldn't even be entering at all if I were more sensible >__>

Conker534
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »

Hand Clap Kiss
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »

I'm so near to having everything in the game I want, so I'll probably be able to post a reasonable build tomorrow. I'l like to go on and do some balancing but time is being a bitch to me on other stuff so I'll need to probably leave it more or less as it is after tomorrow for a while.

anyhoo, my todo list is pretty much:
- make it so players with no lives are ghosts
- actual interface for making custom characters
- interface for customising controls
- make an animation for when wallsliding, gone too long without one ^_^;

so yeah, hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow, I'll call it a beta and just balance it later Smiley

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »

I really like the graphical style you've got going. I've gotta admit I've actually gone through life without ever learning how to play shithead, though I have heard of it, so no idea what the gameplay'll be like yet  Tongue
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »

I love those character models, did you just make those?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »

I've never heard of this card game, and this graphical style is wonderful. Keep up the awesome ideas!
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:45 PM »

I'm so near to having everything in the game I want, so I'll probably be able to post a reasonable build tomorrow. I'l like to go on and do some balancing but time is being a bitch to me on other stuff so I'll need to probably leave it more or less as it is after tomorrow for a while.

anyhoo, my todo list is pretty much:
- make it so players with no lives are ghosts
- actual interface for making custom characters
- interface for customising controls
- make an animation for when wallsliding, gone too long without one ^_^;

so yeah, hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow, I'll call it a beta and just balance it later Smiley

I don't know what's going on there but I love it  Kiss

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »

PLEASE call it the beta carotene version.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »

I love those character models, did you just make those?

thanks! and yeah, all made especially for this game Smiley

PLEASE call it the beta carotene version.

honestly I don't get why, you chemistry nerds are weird, but it seems cool so why not! :D

Download Latest (V0.1, Beta Carotene):
Windows - OSX

and so we have reached version 0.1, AKA "Beta Carotene"   Hand Metal LeftGrin:handmetalR:

I've included a readme textfile that has the rules and some considerations for setting up the controls, but in short: if you're playing with gamepads and only one person on the keyboard, you're golden. if you are playing with lots of folk on one keyboard, it's gonna depend on how good your keyboard is.

anyway, here's some pics:

you can pick from 1 of 4 models, each with 3 customisable colours to make a unique character

if you die before the end of the match, you become a ghost, incable of doing anything but floating around the map and saying 'boo!'

game includes catfights.

and that's pretty much it for now, theres some serious things I need to fix, some serious balancing of the game that needs doing, but I seriously have other things that I need to do. so whilst this is only the first update, it'll probably be the last for a while, hopefully I'll have time to wrok on another release before the compo ends, but I'm happy to have gotten even this far right now.

anyway, I really, really want to go to bed now, g'night o/

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:32 PM »

honestly I don't get why, you chemistry nerds are weird, but it seems cool so why not! :D

As your game was previously known as "Bunny Girl" beta carotene was a pun. It's the thing that gives the orange color to carrots  Smiley

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »

Wow the character animation and controls are incredible. How did you do the tails?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic