Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:20:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Port forwarding: Discussion about port use
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Port forwarding: Discussion about port use  (Read 22954 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:11:49 PM »

This is a thread for those that will get in the nitty gritty of online connections and will require/work with port forwarding for their games. In here you can discuss which ports you think should be used and such.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:19:43 PM »

Well, I don't have a preference as to what actual numbers, but maybe just pick a range of like 5-10 (+/-?) ports for people to forward and call it good?

Also, maybe sticky a tutorial on how to do port forwarding on a few common routers?

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »

Information about port forwarding on almost every router can be found here.

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

How about Port 12222? It's easy to remember and it's unassigned by the IANA.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »

Wouldn't every game in the competition using the same port create problems if some kind soul winds up hosting servers for 3 games at once?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »

I'm thinking the ports should be configurable and default to some standard Versus Compo port.
I'm cool with Kyle's recommendation of port 12222.  Though it may be difficult to tell how many twos are there.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »

There is a way to host a server without port forwarding that uses a mediator master server. I'm a little bit hazy on how this works, but a lot of commercial games do that (e.g. you never have to open up ports for Source games or console games for that matter)

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »

Yeah, NAT Punchthough or something like that I think...

here's raknet's explanation:
http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/raknet/manual/natpunchthrough.html

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »

Yep! That's what it was. I remember looking into it when I was building a network game awhile ago, but could find almost no information at all. I think that RakNet page is actually what i read at the time.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »

Yeah, the only problem with NAT hole-punching is that you need a server with a publicly accessible IP that both clients can connect to which will manage the connection between the two clients. And that makes homebrew solutions difficult.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »

Yeah, the only problem with NAT hole-punching is that you need a server with a publicly accessible IP that both clients can connect to which will manage the connection between the two clients. And that makes homebrew solutions difficult.
Well, it's definitely easier to host a central holepunch "introducer" server than it is to host a central game server.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

Professional by day, indie by night.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »

Port 6969.  Lips Sealed

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:49 PM »

I'm thinking the ports should be configurable and default to some standard Versus Compo port.
I'm cool with Kyle's recommendation of port 12222.  Though it may be difficult to tell how many twos are there.
There are 4 of them.

I had to do some counting but I'm sure that's not a skill that only I have.
Benjaminsen
Level 0

Games games games.... oh! And games!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 09:28:50 AM »

Port 443, this is the port that gives people the highest chance of being able to connect to your game.
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:18:36 PM »

Port 443, this is the port that gives people the highest chance of being able to connect to your game.

Ports below 1024 generally aren't available for regular programs (need root/admin privileges)
eva
BANNED
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:05 PM »

geez put the port in a ini file or somthin dont be lazy

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »

geez put the port in a ini file or somthin dont be lazy

Sure, but having a standard/default is nice for people who want to host because they don't need to open a different port for every game.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:38:54 AM »

There are 4 of them.

I had to do some counting but I'm sure that's not a skill that only I have.

I think Lon meant "remember", not "tell". I don't think it's going to be a big issue. We can just post the number somewhere obvious, in large text, on the frontpage when the voting begins. Then games can have specific numbers they need in their readmes.
eva
BANNED
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »

also udp-ers, ur gona hav to use multiple ports if ya wana support lan..  i had figur this out thru million crashings
1 port stil fine for different ip's tho

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »

There's no reason why you need multiple ports for a LAN game.

Unless you're talking about supporting multiple players on a LAN who are also playing against other players on the Internet, via a NAT device.  In which case, yeah, different ports for the different players is kind of an awkward workaround which will allow it to work for some NAT devices.

But in general, you can either do LAN play or Internet play, not both at the same time, just due to the complexities of NAT.

(There are ways to support LAN+Internet for many (though not all) NAT devices.  If you really want the gory details about how to do it, contact me directly.  I've already polluted one thread with lengthy and inappropriate details about how to do these probably-unnecessary-for-this-competition things;  I don't want to do it again!  :D )
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic