Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:23:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Friendly Fire [FINISHED] [UPDATED v1.1]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Friendly Fire [FINISHED] [UPDATED v1.1]  (Read 6750 times)
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »

Friendly Fire is a networked-only arena shooter (think like an FPS multiplayer mode, or Team Fortress without the teams.)

NOTE: I'll leave a host running when possible for people to try it out, but to have people play on your server you'll need to host and have either the default port, 2300, or a port you choose, forward both TCP and UDP to your computer. (Clients do not need to configure their routers.)

Development Status:
Completed:
- All network connection and player management is completed
- Player movement, score tracking, weapon switching, and other gameplay elements are done (over network)
- Statistical weapons balance and speeds is completed (tweaks will be made in patches if necessary)
- No limit to number of connected players (though hosts might find they are the limit on bandwidth)
- Posting hosted games to the internet and a Find Game feature to search through and join them
- The first version for the contest!
Next:
- Improve the smoothness on slower connections
- Various networking improvements
- New levels and weapons
- Character models to unlock and choose

About the Game

You can play over a local network or the internet, but you can't play more than one person on a single computer.

Text chat is an available communication method, but there is no voice chat.

Only the Host needs to have a port open and forwarded, the default port is 2300, but it can be changed on the Host and Join Game screens.

See the title screen "Help" Option for a description:

Due to time constraints on the amount of artwork, all players are currently just the base white template (which actually works pretty well!)

The Host screen only requires you set the port (default is set) - to Join you need the hostname or IP address and matching port. Even if you have a custom port set, if it fails to connect it will try to use the 2300 port by default (to help with cases of the host not understanding networking too well.)

Weapons
available are:
1. Revolver
2. Magnum Pistol
3. Sub Machine Gun
4. Shotgun
5. Laser Gun
6. Rifle (think M16)
7. Laser Blaster
8. Crossbow
9. Rocket Launcher
10. Grenade Launcher

Gameplay
is like any arena shooter, you can move around the map and pick up weapons from crates and shoot other players.

A player can carry 3 weapons at any time and switch with the 1,2,3 keys respectively. Picking up a weapon you already have replenishes ammo, picking up a weapon when you have a blank slot puts it there, otherwise it will replace and drop your current weapon on the field.

Currently there is only 1 map, which contains 3 sections, the main outside, inside of a small house, and a cave that runs from the lower left to upper right. The caves and main areas can't see or shoot or interact with each other, so ambushing players is good tactic if you can predict their movement!

As you gain more kills, you can unlock more of the weapon list to be available as your starting weapon when you spawn.

You can check ping, name, and score of all connected players using the [Tab] key (see screenshots.)

Screenshots

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:14:32 PM by Anaryu » Logged
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »

Oft this sounds fun. Hope you finish it!

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »

Sounds good, will there be 2v2 mode? Also I've noticed that you moved to GM for your latest games, is that permanent?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »

Woo, takin' it up a notch. Post some mockups soon so we can get hyped

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »

That sounds kinda complex. Here's hoping you can manage. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »

@Randomasta: Kind of - I've messed with a lot of engines, but I'm familiar with GM and it's ability to rapidly make smaller games is unmatched so far (versus the massive amount of effort into just getting something even small working in XNA or Torque 3D) - RPG Maker's only big strength is that the editor is done and you can enter so much information so easily (making lots of content in GM or other editors is very painful without programming up your own editor interface...)

@Hangedman: I'll have to get my artist to hurry up then! I usually hate to tip my hand, but this seemed like a great opportunity to try the "path of hyping" a project for once.

@Melly: I worked on a co-op 2D RPG a year or so ago in GM and learned and came up with solutions to the major issues like multiple players joining/tracking, keeping their locations synced, messages, etc. Never went anywhere because of a lack of focus - all the ideas I have for this are things I've done or know how to do so hopefully not getting in over my head!
jwk5
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 04:51:35 AM »

This sounds pretty awesome, I especially like the concept drawing there. I always wanted to make a game along those lines just never got motivated enough to get to it.

One thing I wanted to add (that maybe you can) is a sort of "cover" mechanic like Gears of War, Valkyria Chronicles, etc. which I think would work really well with destructible barriers (the idea I had was any shots made against a person who was in "cover" mode have a % chance to hit the barrier instead of the person taking cover behind it, damaging the barrier instead). Anways, I look forward to this one! Smiley
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »

Been looking forward to this one, and I love the idea of mashing up different themes.
KKMcK
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 01:37:14 PM »

This map so far:

The preview shown earlier I believe is actual size. I really scaled this one down. I'm working on it! My Word!

Lil' dude there isn't the actual sprite, I'm just using him to help me scale so things don't get -too- out of whack. Roof of the house will open up to show the two floors inside, and the tunnel when entered will show... well, the tunnel.
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:12:42 PM »

Added some new screenshots and updated development status.
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »

Posted the finished version, you can download at the top of the thread!

I'm going to try to leave a default server up for people to play on, the host will be AFK for the majority of the time.
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »

So far lots of feedback from outside sources, but nothing from the contest site itself!

We plan to add more weapons and levels (of course) and add models you can pick for the player (the current is the template) - looking for suggestions!
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

Updated version: 1.1 released! (not sure where to post this now that it's an ongoing project?)

Added:
1. Chat History
2. Improved game join and added ping checks in case of lost packets
3. Added bar that shows speed of weapon shots and reload time
4. Added Version check and disconnect if versions don't match
5. Catches for potential network drops that could cause players to be "dead" but not dead
6. Fixed and updated UDP methods to work with many connections from a single IP external IP address
7. Updated UDP punch-through to be more reliable and have less overhead
8. General network speed improvements
9. Explosive projectiles accuracy and explosion points improved (always shows accurate explosion locations)

The original content client didn't have any versioning code in it, so if it joins a newer server it gets disconnected on the server end, but the players just appear in an empty client (due to not support being built in, so no way to tell the client it's been forcefully disconnected.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic