Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:01:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLast Fighter D Demo Release One
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Last Fighter D Demo Release One  (Read 2040 times)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:59:26 PM »

After months of work, we finally have the game known as Last Fighter D in a playable state.

Made as a collaborative work between myself, Alexmdle, and a fine composer named Oskar Alex.

This is a classic style shmup with a variety of enemies, fantastic music and what will eventally be a wide variety of weaponry.

It's far from finished, but with 2 stages done and playable, we're ready to release it for testing.

Reuploading the soundtrack soon.

DOWNLOAD

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:22:39 AM »

Great stuff, guys!

Very nice movement speed. I know you guys are already using a lot of manic shooter conventions, but you might want to consider having an increased speed while not firing and/or tapping the button instead of holding it.

The current attack types are wonderfully basic. Concentrated beam, or weaker spread. Easy to understand and allows for more choice making.

I would opt for additional control over switching attack types. Up+Alt: Beam, Left/Right+Alt: Spread, Down+Alt: Rear, Neutral+Alt: Cycle.

The HUD is strolling a little too far into decoration or contrived territory instead of usability. There are lots of bits and irregular boxes and symbols it just seems a bit too cluttered. Generally you want to be able to grab a bit of info in your peripheral vision or a quick glance. The Boss health seems almost hidden despite it being labeled and the meter itself is unique but not helpful.

Restricting hazardous graphics to Red is a wonderful touch. Keeping that restricted to one or two colors for complex bullet patterns is the path to success!

I would recommend having rear enemies approach on the outer edges of the play screen when you first introduce that aspect. It just seemed silly when I got attacked out of nowhere.

Overall the enemy designs were very cool and had unique personalities. May favorites are the fast moving portion of the first boss and the formation boss in the second stage. I'd say this is a real strong point and a key differentiating factor from other manic shooters. I would pay careful attention to making sure enemy and boss movement and bullet patterns reflect their design and personality.

The difficulty ramps very nicely in the first stage but the beginning of the second stage is more difficult than the first stage's boss (for me at least). Obviously equations for game design don't exist but remember that surprises and rising and falling action are scientifically proven to increase fun and pleasure.

Finally, while the pacing needs work, you definitely get a terrific feeling of mastery from this game. I felt totally hosed during my first playthrough, but got much better every time and I didn't feel like I had to remember anything. Mastery is one of my favorite aspects in games, so it's truly a treat to see it here.

I went back to double check on the movement thing I first mentioned and ended up plaything through the whole thing again! That's a good sign and I can't wait to see more.
ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:32 AM »

Wow, got a release out already? Nice!
AlexMdle
Level 0

Keep Your Dignity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »

Great stuff, guys!

Very nice movement speed. I know you guys are already using a lot of manic shooter conventions, but you might want to consider having an increased speed while not firing and/or tapping the button instead of holding it.

Great idea :D

The current attack types are wonderfully basic. Concentrated beam, or weaker spread. Easy to understand and allows for more choice making.

I would opt for additional control over switching attack types. Up+Alt: Beam, Left/Right+Alt: Spread, Down+Alt: Rear, Neutral+Alt: Cycle.

Well, its just the basic system we are using, since there are going to be many wonderful weapons added in the future. We just wanted to keep it simple and allow player to control them all with 3 buttons and 2 different bars. This is heavily inspired by Hellsinker, which is in itself highly confusing with all its bars and counters in the beginning.

The HUD is strolling a little too far into decoration or contrived territory instead of usability. There are lots of bits and irregular boxes and symbols it just seems a bit too cluttered. Generally you want to be able to grab a bit of info in your peripheral vision or a quick glance. The Boss health seems almost hidden despite it being labeled and the meter itself is unique but not helpful.

True :V, will try to simplify it a bit. I think I was too worried that it would look bland. Happens when you look on the sprite alone, without the actions going on right beside it.

Restricting hazardous graphics to Red is a wonderful touch. Keeping that restricted to one or two colors for complex bullet patterns is the path to success!

Yep, red is pretty much the BAD/EVIL/HAZARDOUS/DONT TOUCH color of the game.

I would recommend having rear enemies approach on the outer edges of the play screen when you first introduce that aspect. It just seemed silly when I got attacked out of nowhere.

Actually, touching small enemies at the moment, does not kill you. In future it will also merely bump you away.

Overall the enemy designs were very cool and had unique personalities. May favorites are the fast moving portion of the first boss and the formation boss in the second stage. I'd say this is a real strong point and a key differentiating factor from other manic shooters. I would pay careful attention to making sure enemy and boss movement and bullet patterns reflect their design and personality.

Ohohohohoho, the first two stages are just there to get player used to controls and enemy behaviour. From stages 3 a/b (Yep, there will be path forks) every stage will be loaded with different themes, challenges and stuff. As for enemy designs, thanks I guess xD. Will try to keep it up~

The difficulty ramps very nicely in the first stage but the beginning of the second stage is more difficult than the first stage's boss (for me at least). Obviously equations for game design don't exist but remember that surprises and rising and falling action are scientifically proven to increase fun and pleasure.

This is actually still a point to polish the hell out of.
Finally, while the pacing needs work, you definitely get a terrific feeling of mastery from this game. I felt totally hosed during my first playthrough, but got much better every time and I didn't feel like I had to remember anything. Mastery is one of my favorite aspects in games, so it's truly a treat to see it here.

Well, the plan is to make the difficulty variable so that you don't need too much skill to just beat it.

But when you want to truly win the game, you better prepare to 1cc the hell out of it.

I went back to double check on the movement thing I first mentioned and ended up plaything through the whole thing again! That's a good sign and I can't wait to see more.

Happened to myself alot while testing  Smiley
sinoth
Level 0

hotdogger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »

Ah man, the music XD  So good!  I've only gotten to level 2 so far but this is pretty fantastic.  I like the little 'red splash' effect when you skirt close to a projectile - nice touch.  The variety of bullet patterns is nice also, even in just the first stage.  It feels like there should be a smidge more horizontal space, but it isn't a huge deal.

The first time I got to the stage 1 boss I got pretty demolished... the bullet patterns felt a bit too unforgiving.  The second time I got to the boss it seemed to use completely different patterns that felt a lot better.  Is this a bug or normal?

The 'game over' music spills over into the normal game music if you continue quickly.  Also, as mentioned above, the "enemies from behind" is a bit too unforgiving when you don't know it's coming.

Feels solid so far!  I will definitely be sinking some more time into it ^_^

i am not regret
Oskar Alex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:23:47 PM »

Thank you!! Yay! Makes me happy Smiley

Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »

Nice man I cant wait to see this game progress; its very fun so far! I dig the style, and the shooting system. After playing this game for a while I was staying away from red stuff in real life too.  Corny Laugh

When the enemies shat on me from behind I was quite upset; but that's about it xD

Did a little write up on my blog about it.  Gentleman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic