Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:00:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Masjin [1.9b]
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [1.9b]  (Read 117829 times)
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »

I still move veeery slowly. I can't get what's the problem there.

Also. An idea (Warning! Requires teamplay!)
1. Cybermason goes and mines *some minerals*
2. Scientist takes the minerals and makes craftable metal from them.
3. Engineer gets the metals from Scientist and builds a vehicle (Tank, Mecha, Plane?)
4. That assault guy drives the thing Engineer has built.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 05, 2011, 09:31:44 AM »

I actually like the concept of crafting vehicles.  I think there should be a small amount of readily available vehicles, and a large combination of craftable ones.  And there could be different ores, which could be used to make better armor for the vehicles.  (A diamond plane, for instance, would be better than a steel plane)
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 05, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »

And that would get something to do for the engineer.

Filth
« Reply #363 on: April 05, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »

What about

-Scientist does the researching things (how?) allowing the vehicle/item to be built
-Cybermason mines the needed materials
-Engineer builds the thing.

Making craftable metal doesn't really sound like anything a scientist would do.

I don't think that there should be any vehicles available in the beginning (except for the diggers, as it's quite difficult to do anything without ore Smiley ). The first items should be really quick to get though.

Also, now that we have the mech and the orb, couldn't the engineer be the only one able to use them? Or what if the whole fabrication thing was only for the engineers?
PickleMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 05, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster...

Hempuli: You said you'd *like* to port it, but you can't (not enough time, might be slow...), I'm pretty experienced with AS3 and Java, and if you want, I could start porting it in the time I have. I believe there is a Lacewing lib for AS3, not sure about Java...

Anyway, if you are interested *at all*, please contact me... (PM, post here, email: [email protected])

-._PM

EDIT: I'm terribly uncreative, so I suck at making game ideas myself (I've ported a few games, greenTech (GM), working on Dubloon (GM) in my spare time, and a few java things that my friends have made.

EDIT2: Just checked, there isn't a Java lacewing lib
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:18:36 AM by PickleMan » Logged
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: April 05, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »

Big news!

I made some test with machine-independent framerates today and they seem to work surprisingly well! Today's update (coming a bit late) will include that, so I can see if something breaks down horribly! Durr...?

PickleMan: Thanks for the offer. Could you provide me an example or something about your skills in AS3 online coding? That'd be pretty cool.

As for the for the "only a certain class can ride use thing X", I really dislike the idea. As I said earlier, it was at first in (only cybermasons could use digger etc), but since it's so easy to change class, it supported the way of gameplay where everyone just changed class as soon as they needed something. Respawning takes a bit of time, so I don't like the gameplay style the change would support.

The crafting thing is a really neat idea, but also really difficult to carry out well, and for example the different building materials would require me to rewrite most of the vehicle code. I'll take it to consideration once I get to the point where vehicles can be destroyed (I think I want to have that in, and that means also building new vehicles must be in!).

Petrol bomb might be cool; I'll see how it might work. As for the "less-than-50-health", that might indeed be doable quite easily. I'll see if I get that to the next update!

Sorry if I sound overly defensive here, but some of these suggestions would really require a lot of work and I'm not sure I'd be able to pull them out. When people suggest things for the engineer, a lot of suggestions seem to follow the pattern 'only engineer can use X'. I think that shows that the class isn't distinctive enough, since for all the other classes the abilities are something more special or 'active', rather than just the ability to handle certain items. I'd rather keep the items for all, but give the engineers (or a possible replacer class?) some really distinct trait. And by that note:

How about a class that'd work as a mobile buffer? Maybe something like a 'nanotechnologist' or something, who'd give buffs or debuffs to characters around him? Sort of what the scientist does now, but not targeting health but instead firepower or some other ability.

Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »

I'd probably be defensive too, no problem.
Okay, that "only that soldier guy can drive X" was pretty random since I just wanted to get something for him.
And that Nanotech thing would be good for the solly, e.g. +1 def for allies withing range Z.
Anyways, engie could boost vehicle hp or add a slight attack boost.

PickleMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 05, 2011, 12:51:06 PM »

Hempuli, I sent you an email with 5 or so examples of my as3 work
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: April 05, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »

Yeah, I received it. Looking at them later.

Version 1.62 is out! Not too many changes this time, but here we go anyway:

• Bushes! (They do nothing and the sprite is quite ugly, but nonetheless!)
  • Machine independent speed. This may cause bugs, please report if so!
  • A small sign that tells if someone is typing, hurt or flashbanged. quite useful.
  • The usual lot of smaller bugfixes.

VERSION 1.62 GET!

For the next version I think I'll try to get at least one more item, and perhaps base for research. Also I should clean up the round-winning code, among other of the multitude of things I should do...

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »

Your doing a magnificent job there Hempuli, updating it constantly.
I hope you see the potential of this great game.
I played some fun rounds against people; i see tactics evolving.
I feel enthousiasm growing in a lot of people.

Beer!

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: April 05, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »

It seems that the players becoming invincible is a much worse problem than I anticipated. I'll have to look into this tomorrow.  Yawn

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:28 PM »

mokesmoe: ... As for the pickaxe, I'm not sure if I see the use in that; I'd rather keep the cybermason as the 'digger' class.

I suggested it more for the cybermason to use, because the cybermason is not the digger class. He has a small digging ability that can help navigate a bit, but he digs slowly and can't mine. Any class can jump in a digger and start mining. The cybermason is actually the worst at mining because his natural power is pointless when he can just use a digger.
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 05, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »

I'd probably be defensive too, no problem.
Okay, that "only that soldier guy can drive X" was pretty random since I just wanted to get something for him.
And that Nanotech thing would be good for the solly, e.g. +1 def for allies withing range Z.
Anyways, engie could boost vehicle hp or add a slight attack boost.

I agree that their should be some extra powers in the use of vehicles, but not that only a surten classes can use surten vehicles.

I am also seeing that digging itself is not verry usefull.
I digg my ass off an am finaly able to buy the mech suit. The other team is not digging at all and just standing in the middle room. I can finaly change the situation with my suit. I jump in, get killed and they steal my suit.

Maybe team related vehicles? could be a solution.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:52:44 AM by nahkranoth » Logged
Froshin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2011, 05:42:24 AM »

mokesmoe: ... As for the pickaxe, I'm not sure if I see the use in that; I'd rather keep the cybermason as the 'digger' class.

I suggested it more for the cybermason to use, because the cybermason is not the digger class. He has a small digging ability that can help navigate a bit, but he digs slowly and can't mine. Any class can jump in a digger and start mining. The cybermason is actually the worst at mining because his natural power is pointless when he can just use a digger.

Not anymore; The cybermanson will dig faster then the other classes in a a digger vehicle now. And his ability remains the same.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: April 06, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »

Vehicles only used by a certain team would suck in my opinion, mostly because it'd take away a great deal of the current 'strategy' the game offers. I think research will be the thing that'll need ore and only aid your own team.

Hey, I'll be moving this thread to 'feedback' section, since the compo is over now anyway. Please put your posts to that thread instead of this, once the thread is up! Thanks. Smiley

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18908.0
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:26:36 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

DeeZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 20, 2011, 05:20:12 AM »

I think in CTF should be forbidden to enter in respawn zon with flag.
It's motive for long game, if both team with flags of opponent stey in respawn zone
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: April 20, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »

I absolutely agree!

DeeZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2011, 06:28:29 AM »

I captured flag, and press respawn key (R), because i am stuck. After respawn i was in respawn zone, and falg was with me ) I can't exit from zone, because i have flag Smiley
puffergames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 19, 2011, 04:39:20 AM »

Hey hempuli :D

I'm Onky in the game :p

I would like to see a tank  Smiley

Oh, and why did you remove the missile, from that GIF?  Shrug
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 19, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »

Hey hempuli :D

I'm Onky in the game :p

I would like to see a tank  Smiley

Oh, and why did you remove the missile, from that GIF?  Shrug

Hey puffer, this is the old post.

check here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18908.360;topicseen for current forum discussion on masjin
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic