Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:12:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Push vs. Shove [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Push vs. Shove [FINISHED]  (Read 13615 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »

TWO SHALL JUMP

ONE MUST FALL

PLAY NOW ON THE WEB PLAYER
(standalone builds: win, mac)
(Local multiplayer only for now)

Controls:
Player 1:  Arrow keys (Move / Aim), Right Ctrl (Jump), Shift (Push)
Player 2:  WASD (Move / Aim), Tab (Jump), ` (backtick) (Push)

The title screen says to hold down 'Button 2' : that's the "Push" button.

POST-COMPO version with bugfixes and such:
Please use the version above for deciding who to vote for in the competition.
Afterwards, please try this newer version.
web player
Windows
Mac
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:10:36 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

I love that visual style! Why the 3D, though?
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »

Because Unity.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »

Because Unity.

Ah. Do you plan on using the 3d for anything? Having perspective flips could be cool, or moving the camera on deaths, or something.  Wink
jwk5
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »

Despite the game being somewhat ambiguous at this point those screenshots of it look awesome! To see how the graphics will look in play is reason enough alone for me to keep tabs on this, but the game play possibilities sound pretty interesting too!
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:04 PM »

After much laziness, I managed to fix a kind of critical bug and add some effects.

The blue explosion effect is much lower than it should be for no apparent reason, and I realized screenshots don't really help to convey what's happening, but I figure I should at least show something.

But now I have a playable prototype, that's what counts. Hopefully I can find some willing playtesters nearby. Considering the simplicity of the game it might not be hard to add network multiplayer.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »

So THAT's how you do 2D games in Unity! Noir

PlayMeTape
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »

Hey nihilocrat. Just wanted to ask if you considered using the SpriteManager: http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=SpriteManager

It's supposed to increase performance for 2d visuals in Unity. I'm not sure how necessary it is in you case though. I'm assuming your using Unity 3.0 and with the dynamic batching I guess you don't really have a problem with draw calls. Just thought you might be interested anyways.

Good luck with the project!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:41:53 AM »

This is the best use of unity i've seen. I really hope for some bullettime 3d action!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:09:05 PM »

Finally got some playtesting! It went really well, I have a lot of bugs to fix, and only a handful of features to implement, and I'm calling it done. It's a pretty simple concept, doesn't make sense to go overboard with it.

After the bugs are fixed I'll post a version up. No network multiplayer, though I think I will put that in if I have the time.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

Hey nihilocrat. Just wanted to ask if you considered using the SpriteManager: http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=SpriteManager

It's supposed to increase performance for 2d visuals in Unity. I'm not sure how necessary it is in you case though. I'm assuming your using Unity 3.0 and with the dynamic batching I guess you don't really have a problem with draw calls. Just thought you might be interested anyways.

I've played around with that and for this project I will just avoid it because of the very low number of sprites on the screen. There are some game ideas I have, though, that would use a 2.5D look sort of like DooM, with a combination of 3D models and sprites, so I think I'll get more seriously into SpriteManager when I visit those ideas. Alec Holowka has some good input on the subject because he is combining 2D and 3D with Unity in Marian: http://bitcollective.ca/forums/index.php?topic=21.0

As for the game, I need to get unlazy and finish the final pieces, namely special block types and modified spawning rules. I also want to find a cooler name, I'm up for suggestions.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »

gotta go to bed, so, just pictures for now:

playable web demo soon!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »

It'd be interesting if the thrown blocks spun, to show off the 3D.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »

Whoops, finally got around to posting the playable build, bump!

Inanimate : you really don't like seeing a 2D Unity game stay "pure" 2D, do you? Smiley  I actually like your suggestion, and it's a 2-minute addition, so I think I'll put it in.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »

Well, it's already made in 3D. If with a little more time you can get some extra visual flash/pizzazz/allure that makes the game look cooler/more exciting, then why not? Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »

This is cute and fun! However, it is impossible for both players to play on my keyboard, due to silliness of the tiny Apple keyboard and its lack of a second control button. Would love to be able to define keys.

|
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »

Did a lot of work to get special blocks in and fix bugs. I'll get a standalone build out soon (tm).

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »

Standalone builds posted!

Now looking into screen capture programs. Never could find a "perfect" method to use for Windows so now I am looking at "Good Enough" (fraps).

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »

Presented the compo final version at the Mount Royal Game Society meetup, uncovered some embarassing bugs / oversight! I will try to fix them, fix the controls, and release a post-compo version for non-judging purposes.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »

Post-compo version posted. Most physics weirdness has been avoided this time around, and the game returns to the title screen after every play so new players can read the instructions.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic