Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:18:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Witch Battles
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Witch Battles  (Read 22912 times)
namre
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »

This is a really fun idea! I just wanted to chime in and say if you're inspired by Muramasa, you should check out the art in Grim Grimoire, an earlier Vanillaware game set in a magical academy with witches
Ah yes! I remember this game! The art here is awesome as well! Might get inspiration from their game, especially on the art! Thanks!
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »

Lol. I don't have one at the moment but I will have one soon (was already planning to downgrade one of my laptops). Don't we have other options? Just asking. It's always a good idea to target a lot of audience as much as possible. :D

There's other options, but this is the simplest, plus it's free. I'm not sure that the other options are all that much better as far as portability goes.
If there's time (which there won't be), we could swap in other programs that work with other setups - but I think this is best for getting something done for the compo.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:38:31 AM »

Pretty mockup, need moar non-pixel-art 2D!  Not to hate, just that some balance is always good.

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 01:04:11 AM »

Great idea + great execution (judging by one mockup screenshot, but still..) = great fun!

namre
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 02:00:07 AM »

So I checked out Grim Grimoire and after a long time of thinking, I decided that I might make our game's art style similar to it. This means I would make the art less cutesy and a little more serious, but not too serious though. Something like the feel that Grim Grimoire has as pictured below:

Of course, I'll still try to inject my own style to the game. All I'm saying is that as far as  art direction groes, Grim Grimoire is one style we are leaning towards.

This of course, has got me excited. We've planned the game so that we would have a small asset requirement. This way I could concentrate on making each asset as detailed as possible. Or at least, as detailed to the best of my abilities.

I'll now go back to the drawing board to sketch some new character designs. Let's hope I could make something good.
namre
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

Hi guys, here's another update:

So as I have mentioned yesterday, Aik and I have decided to change our game's art style and make it similar to Grim Grimoire and Muramasa. Which is why, I went back to the drawing board and cooked up a new character design. This time, instead of a chibi-style, I went for a full sized one.

I was initially aiming for a traditional witch costume but who wears them these days? Witches these days are more hip and cool Tongue I tried to add in as much detail as possible but not so much that it would be very hard to animate it.

You see, my initial fear was that since it would be a very big character, it would be very hard to animate. So far, all I've done are moving chibi or pixel art sprites and never big ones, but I am up for the challenge.

To better have a grasp of how to animate such a character, I asked my friend Google for some examples.

The image above is a sprite rip by Freezeman from the MugenGuild Forums.

The movements are not that smooth (and are very fast) but I think I have a general idea. Still have to look for more though. looking for Muramasa sprite sheets but can't seem to find any. Maybe it's in 3d? I'm not sure yet.

Anyways, that's all for today. Please feel free to leave a comment on my character design. I'll be doing the coloring soon. Grin

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:39:38 PM by Accidental Rebel » Logged
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 05:06:16 PM »

Cool idea! It kind of reminds me of Jon Blow's Galstaff <http://www.experimental-gameplay.org/2003/index.html> but based on voices rather than gestures.  I can imagine players trying to cast spells with higher pitch voices to increase range, spread, durration, damage, or some other spell attribute(s) to the detriment of others.  Good luck with this, I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
namre
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 05:13:05 PM »

Very interesting...

For now, we're focusing more on just simple voice recognition for casting. But your suggestion seems like a really cool idea and might be considered in future versions if ever we want to improve upon it.

Again, thanks.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »

Perhaps you could make it so Low / High pitch has corresponding checks and balances? Low = more damage/less speed, High = less damage/more speed?
namre
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »

Perhaps you could make it so Low / High pitch has corresponding checks and balances? Low = more damage/less speed, High = less damage/more speed?
That sounds a really cool idea. By doing this, you have more control over the spell. Not sure if it's easy to implement though. But still a great idea.

Aik, what do you think? We can add this on Milestone 3 if you want.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »

These are pretty great ideas and they're probably quite do-able with a good audio library. When the basics are down I'll look into it more. I wonder if it'd be possible to enforce things like rhythm as well - rhythmic chants for certain things would be interesting - it's not enough to say the right words, you have to say them in the right way as well.

On the coding front, I've decided to ditch Panda3D, because that was a bad idea. Going with Pyglet at the moment and it seems quite capable of getting things up and running quickly. I'm thinking PodSixNet for networking. Hopefully there will be less time-wasting from here on.
MrRoboman
Level 0

That egg just hatched a man!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »

This is such a great idea! Can't wait!
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »

This is a really interesting game, and you work awfully quick at that. I dig the updated sprite style (the old one was nice as well). The only bad thing is if you make it windows-exclusive... though I must admit, this is one game I wouldn't hesitate to boot windows for to run Tongue Would still be nice if there somehow turned out to be a linux version
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »

Look at these voice-recognition libs - the first ones which popped up in Google by searching open-source voice recognition:
http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/
http://www.voxforge.org/
They're FOSS and multiplatform Wink
namre
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »

Hi guys. Thanks for your comments. More concept art coming soon :D

I'm sorry to say but our game will be Windows only as we are using PySpeech which uses Windows' speech recognition software. Who knows, maybe in the future? :D
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 02:45:47 AM »

I'm all for cross platformness in general, but I mistrust the ease of use of those you linked. Getting pyspeech to recognise and respond to a word is five lines of code. Right now I'd rather implement quickly than worry about it being cross platform.

That said, if this game goes on beyond the compo I'd certainly consider it. It's not like I'll be writing reams of pyspeech specific code so it's no great investment lost to swap to other things. I'm using enough arcane libraries at the moment that I don't need any more though - I'll take my simple things where I can.

In other news:
We've decided to prioritise the spellbook, randomised spell chants, and voice pitch control to a 'milestone 1.5'.

I spent today working on networking and GUI code. I expect to have computers talking to each other tomorrow.

Libraries I'm currently using: Pyspeech, Pyglet, Rabbyt, Kytten, and PodSixNet.
I can only conclude that python developers should not name libraries. Also, they should make more reasonable sprite animation systems. Hopefully I don't need many more - learning two new libraries a day is kind of exhausting.
namre
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 03:21:30 AM »

UPDATE TIME!

I have already finished coloring the main character. Here is she now:

A lot has changed since the last mockup. Thanks to all those who gave their comments and helped improved it!

I am also currently working on the actual stage/level for the game. It's not finished yet but here's a sneak peek:

Some of the elements found in this mockup (like the bookshelves, flooring, chandelier, tables and chairs) are taken from other games and are used only for demonstration purposes. The rest were made by me.

(Look at those stairs! Making them was so tiring!)

The colors may look flat right now but I'm planning to rectify that in the future. Next thing I'm going to work on is the big-ass statue on the background.

Stay tuned for more updates!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:13:58 AM by Accidental Rebel » Logged
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »

I'm really loving the latest art-style. I'm also really excited about the voice-driven gameplay, though that's tempered by the fact I don't have a mic. Hopefully someone'll a video of their games that people in my situation can use to get an impression.
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »

The witch sprite is really nice, and the level layout and sketch is stunning as well! It'll be very interesting to see it in color when you're done with it.  Grin

I do like the style of the sprite and the shading, but still you should be cautious. For your own sake consider not using soft gradients for sprites. Though I'm sure it can be done, it could be hard for you to make it look natural when using such soft gradients in sprite animation. From my own experience, it has been easier to use cell-shading (using 2-3 shades per color) rather than soft gradients, when animating.

I'm not saying you should change the art style: I'm suggesting you do some animation tests soon to see whether the soft colors work in motion.

Also, did you do the doors?
namre
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28:41 AM »

I'm also really excited about the voice-driven gameplay, though that's tempered by the fact I don't have a mic.
Maybe it's time to consider buying one? *wink wink*

The witch sprite is really nice, and the level layout and sketch is stunning as well! It'll be very interesting to see it in color when you're done with it.
Thanks! I'm eager to see how it will turn out myself.

I do like the style of the sprite and the shading, but still you should be cautious. For your own sake consider not using soft gradients for sprites.

Thanks for the tip. It's my first time animating a sprite like this so I welcome your suggestion. After I'm done with the statue, I'll go ahead and work on the animations for the character. We will see if I can pull it off or not.

Also, did you do the doors?
Yes, I did. :D Why'd you ask?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic