Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:59:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Witch Battles
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Witch Battles  (Read 22905 times)
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »

I hope you guys can pull it off.

Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »

Also, did you do the doors?
Yes, I did. :D Why'd you ask?

The reason I asked is because it fits so well with the stuff you borrowed from other games, I thought you might have accidentally left it out of the list. It looks really nice, and I have no doubt the background will look great when you are done. Keep it up!
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »

Voice-based gameplay sounds great. You should add in rhyme-detection and get people to freestyle incantations. Tongue

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »

See G I'm in this magic battle and I'm conj'rin up some fire
And da bitches all go crazy for my damage multiplier
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »

Next stop, IGF.

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »

Ohh you'd better watch yo back,
My chantin' skills are whack.
Bitch your head will start to tick-le,
Before you know it, your face is a pick-le.

Shocked

(That was terrible but i lost interest halfway through  Cheesy )

namre
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »

I hope you guys can pull it off.
Haha. We hope so too.

The reason I asked is because it fits so well with the stuff you borrowed from other games, I thought you might have accidentally left it out of the list. It looks really nice, and I have no doubt the background will look great when you are done. Keep it up!
Thanks. Yeah, that door was fun to make as well. :D

Voice-based gameplay sounds great. You should add in rhyme-detection and get people to freestyle incantations.
Lol. That would be cool. But for now, we are focusing more on having it streamlined.

Wait is streamlined the opposite of freestyle? o.o

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 02:36:23 AM »

Update from the codeside.

There is good news and bad news.
The good news is that we have particle effects:

The bad news is that OpenGL and win32COM don't play nicely together.
At least, I think that's the problem. The particle effects work when triggered by a mouse click but exceptions are raised when they're triggered by voice. After much looking at the code and extensive (fruitless) googling that's the only conclusion I can come to. I have no idea as to the specifics, but it triggers on any OpenGL code called after a pyspeech callback function is called.

The error checking code in Pyglet that's been triggered is this:

Code:
   from pyglet import gl
    context = gl.current_context
    if not context:
        raise GLException('No GL context; create a Window first')
    if not context._gl_begin:
        error = gl.glGetError()
        if error:
            msg = ctypes.cast(gl.gluErrorString(error), ctypes.c_char_p).value
            raise GLException(msg)

and the error it spits out is GLException: invalid operation. It's fairly unhelpful. The OpenGL context isn't lost and its state isn't lost according to the event functions set up to check for those. So ... um, I have no idea. It's triggered by a normal OpenGL call that happens just fine if not done after using pyspeech.

Soooo - Linuxfags rejoice, I'm going to give CMUSphinx a shot. This has upsides and (many) downsides. It's a hell of a lot more powerful and I think will have much better accuracy than the Windows one, but it's several orders of magnitude more complex. There's no simple Python interface, though it's possible through some craziness. I'll also be compiling the C++ stuff from source, which I'm bad at. Oh, and language models and stuff need to be made, which yeah - comes with accuracy advantages, but will require quite some work. I think the simplest part of the project just became the most complex.

So I'd rather not go there if I can avoid it, but the errors I'm getting are completely mystifying and clearly involve some OpenGL/win32 bizarrities that I don't know what to do about.

Oh well. Guess I'll see how it goes. I guess I don't mind going the more hardcore way because ultimately it will be better done like this, but I think this is already an ambitious project and making it harder isn't helping. Hopefully I can manage to stay unemployed for the rest of the competition...

And hey - particle effects! The examples from the library (py-lepton) have me all excited about the funky things they can do for our spells.

Edit2: Disregard that. I found a workaround. I have no idea why it's doing that still, but oh well. Guess you'll have to keep waiting for that Linux version. Tongue
Workaround is to not call the spellcasting stuff directly from the callback function, but just set a flag instead and let that be picked up by Pyglet's loop.
Blurgh. What an annoying waste of time. Would be okay if the solution made sense, but nope.

Edit: Oh, right, and we also have some networking going on. Don't think I've updated here since then. Nothing much happens with it now and won't until I have some spells working.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:00:40 AM by Aik » Logged
Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »

Sounds like the callback and the OpenGL context runs on different threads, which would probably give you fairly illogical errors. Checked the thread ID for the callback and the OpenGL functions? Using some command interface to send things to the OpenGL thread is quite common in circumstances like that.

Good luck, I'll be awaiting more awesome screenshots. Beer!
namre
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »

Another art update:

I did some big changes to the character concept. The most notable one would be the change in hairstyle.

The reason for this change is because when I tried doing the animations, it was the hair that was always a pain to work on. I checked out sprites of females from other games and most of them had straight hair or are clumped together which I think is done on purpose for easy animating.

I have also changed the stature of the character and made her look more aggressive as if she's really casting a powerful spell. Oh and no more elfy curly shoes.

Meanwhile, there's also an update on the background for the game. Here's a drawing of the statue that will be at the center of the stage.

Still need to clean up the artwork. Phew. Still have lots of stuff to do! :D
ink.inc
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 02:18:08 PM »

it was the hair that was always a pain to work on

Yeah; this is why 99.99% of Hayao Miyazaki's characters have short hair (even the female ones). The main female character from Howl's Moving Castle doesn't count cuz it was in a ponytail.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »

Yeah; this is why 99.99% of Hayao Miyazaki's characters have short hair (even the female ones). The main female character from Howl's Moving Castle doesn't count cuz it was in a ponytail.

But that mother chick in Ponyo had HUGE hair.

Anyways, loving the way this project's shaping up!  Can't wait to see more!
ink.inc
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »

But that mother chick in Ponyo had HUGE hair.

Anyways, loving the way this project's shaping up!  Can't wait to see more!

99.99%
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »

I meant to suggest changing the shoes - so I think they're a huge improvement Smiley I think the more "normal" shoes help ground the whole witch-in-school-uniform a lot better.

Statue sketch looks good as well.

Cheers,

Will
namre
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2011, 02:43:06 AM »

I meant to suggest changing the shoes - so I think they're a huge improvement Smiley I think the more "normal" shoes help ground the whole witch-in-school-uniform a lot better.
Yeah, it had to go as it didn't look too good on her. :D
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 03:09:20 AM »

Sounds like the callback and the OpenGL context runs on different threads, which would probably give you fairly illogical errors. Checked the thread ID for the callback and the OpenGL functions? Using some command interface to send things to the OpenGL thread is quite common in circumstances like that.

Yep - that seems to be it - thanks. I think threads are causing the problems I couldn't be bothered with today as well. I'll have to read up on how Python handles them.
namre
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

ART UPDATE! Well, hello there!

Since I have no prior experience in animating full-sized characters, I decided to look for animation sprites from various fighting games and studied how they do the animations. Feeling inspired, I decided to give it a try.

For my first attempt, I went with something simple: A casting animation.

Now, it took me a number of attempts before I got to the version above. Honestly, I still think it needs improvement. So if you have some comments or suggestions feel free to voice them out.

While I wait for the comments to pour in, I think I'll go on ahead and work on other animation sets. I'm hoping that by doing so, I would gain experience little by little and be more better at animating. I'll just go back and fix the one above at a later time.

===================================================================

Here are some of the things I learned while creating this animation:
- Photoshop can actually be used for animating! Gasp! I never knew!
- The hair is probably the hardest thing to animate as it's hard to determine how it flows depending on the movement of the character (This is the reason why I changed the hairstyle to a simpler one).
- Animations look better when viewed from afar
- You can learn a lot by looking at the work of others
- Layers are your best friend
- 2d animation is very hard  Screamy

===================================================================

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:38:28 PM by Accidental Rebel » Logged
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2011, 06:01:16 AM »

So code output has slowed down considerably as I get past the shiny-newness part of the project and into the 'why the fucking fuck isn't this shit working?' part. Fortunately I realised that I was getting target-fixated on the various speech input problems today and switched back over to networking before wasting a lot of time. I'm sure the solution will come, but not today.

Mind you, networking isn't great either. I'd forgotten how tedious it is - not as bad as my experiences with Flash+Electroserver, but still. Tomorrow I'll head back to comfy single player mode and see about finishing the animation system (shamelessly ripped from Flixel, because neither Pyglet's nor Rabbyt's animation 'systems' seem to have much thought put into them)

I went on a tangent today and gave compiling CMUSphinx another shot. It seems that Visual C++ 2010 doesn't like their VC++2008 project files and won't convert half of them though. I don't have the bandwidth to download 2008 and don't think trying to compile it with something else is a very good way to waste my time.
Sooo - where I'm going with this: If anyone happens to be sitting on a copy of VC++2008 and has nothing better to do, if you feel like compiling these and uploading the binaries somewhere I would be awfully grateful. They look like they should be trivial to compile with the right software. I need sphinxbase, pocketsphinx, and probably SphinxTrain as well: http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/wiki/download/
All instructions in the readme.

But, uh - if no one feels like doing that, that's okay too. I won't necessarily use it anyway, but I wouldn't mind having a play and see if I can get better speech recognition out of it. It's not high priority - more of a sidetrack project for when the rest of the project is being annoying.

I spent too much of this post whining. Given my track record of ditching projects early and often this is going pretty well and I'm pretty confident of getting everything critical done by the end of the compo. Not that I've done any kind of analysis to see if that's true, but optimism counts for something, yeah?
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »

Hi, I don't know much about animation but I can offer my impressions. Often times when casting you see a kind of "blowing in the wind" movement. In this case, the waving object (belt?) below the book looks good, but the rest seems to be "quivering." Like maybe it needs another frame? You could try adding a little "wave" to the hat? Of course in the fast-paced action of a game it might not matter. Also I know animation takes a long time so sometimes you have to just go with it!

is something I have bookmarked that has a similar wizard hat to what you're working on. It might give you some ideas? Great work so far, I'm looking forward to more!

Good luck!
namre
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »

Hi, I don't know much about animation but I can offer my impressions. Often times when casting you see a kind of "blowing in the wind" movement. In this case, the waving object (belt?) below the book looks good, but the rest seems to be "quivering." Like maybe it needs another frame? You could try adding a little "wave" to the hat? Of course in the fast-paced action of a game it might not matter. Also I know animation takes a long time so sometimes you have to just go with it!
Hi. Thanks for your comment. Yeah, I think that it needs one more frame in between to not make it look like it is quivering instead of being blown by the wind. But again, if I have time, I'll think about editing it.

Here is something I have bookmarked that has a similar wizard hat to what you're working on. It might give you some ideas? Great work so far, I'm looking forward to more!
Thanks for that one! Very helpful. I guess it really helps if you have a pen tablet of your own. I should buy one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic