Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:19:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Super Gem Brawl X Championship Edition [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Gem Brawl X Championship Edition [FINISHED]  (Read 12639 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:27:48 AM »

So, my idea is Super Puzzle Fighter focused on versus.. but not not "split screen" versus, one screen, pieces coming from the left side are controlled by player 1 and pieces coming from the right are controlled by player 2. The player has to dodge the other player pieces (or not, that depends on your strategy) and match pieces to damage your enemy. Players have life bars like a fighting game, and I'm thinking about adding characters.. of course there will be power ups.

I'm on a weird situation right now, I just moved to a new city and I have only a MacBook at home to work with no Internet.. Unity3D sounds like the easiest way to make something cross platform right now (I'm accepting suggestions for that).

Local multiplayer for now.. if I have time, I'll try to add online support.

And that what I'm going to do.  Gentleman

Update:

This took a lot more time than I was expecting.. and it's still full of bugs and lacking features, but some feedback would be nice.

It actually plays more like Puyo-Puyo then Super Puzzle Fighter, you have to match 3 gems of the same color to break then.
If the player pieces collide, they'll stay in place until someone uses their pieces to break them, that'll make the pieces change color and fall, giving MASSIVE DAMAGE to the opponent.
If your gem stack enters the red area, it'll break and you'll loose health.
Like most puzzle games, you can see what your next piece will be. It's the piece being showed at the top, and it will be given to the player that finishes his turn first, it's the most fair way I could think of to distribute the pieces.
For now, the characters are just aesthetic, they'll each have a different special move in the final version.
The power ups for now are a life regen (self-explanatory), teleport (teleports your piece 7 spaces ahead or the most it can) and a shield (creates a barrier of gems in front of your pieces, thinking about changing this to a special move, cause it might be too strong).

Controls:
Player 1:
W -> go up
S -> go down
D -> go foward
A -> rotate piece
F -> use power up
G -> use special move

Player 2:
UP arrow -> go up
DOWN arrow -> go down
LEFT arrow -> go foward
RIGHT arrow -> rotate piece
SHIFT -> use power up
ENTER -> use special move

Update 2:
It's done, now with a single player mode, power ups and a special move for each character!

AND YOU CAN PLAY IT HERE!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:51:46 PM by Tuba » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »

My suggestion is to use the solution that you think would be fastest to develop in.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:49:48 AM »

Melly's right, and Chevy will love you for using FlashPunk too!

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:54:02 AM »

FlashPunk and Flixel are good alternatives.. but there's no Flashdevelop for Mac.. and configuring it for Eclipse sounds like a pain in the ass..

I'll make some tests.. Smiley

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:54:59 AM »

FalshDevelop is ubercool, can't you run in iWine or something?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »

This idea sounds like great fun, and it has a wonderful name! I'd love some interesting, unique power-ups, and characters that passively alter the game (like changing how certain rules work?)

Looking forward to this.
jwk5
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:44:39 AM »

I love Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (so funny to see Capcom parody themselves) so it will be interesting to see how it could play sharing one screen. I am especially interested in how you will end up handling one player's piece crossing over another (and when they are both parallel but one tries to rotate).
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 03:36:11 AM »

Status Update (01/24)

Ditched Unity, going with FlashPunk (editing code with gVim, and compiling through comand line Flex, old school style)!
Single player logic working (still have some bugs to fix).

I should start to implement a 2 player mode tomorrow, lot of balancing issues to solve, I'm aiming for a game where sometimes it's better to dodge the other player pieces and sometimes is better to block them, should have screenshots soon Smiley

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:59:01 AM »

Finally something..

I made a Tetris clone sometime ago and thought "Well, this should be easier, the pieces have only one form".. oh, how mistaken I was  Sad

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »

I think there are still some bugs.. but the game is pretty much done.

I'll keep working on it to make it prettier and maybe add some more modes (online!). But my entry for the competition is here Smiley

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »

OOOOOoo I love puzzle games! Can't wait for more news!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic