Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:40:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)About networking: Intergame matchmaking/lobby-server[discussion]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: About networking: Intergame matchmaking/lobby-server[discussion]  (Read 3225 times)
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »

Today, when I was wondering about making my own entry to the compo, I thought about how to implement networking. Of course it's not the simplest task, so I thought having an unified server for matchmaking and to be kind of lobby, and perhaps hosting some kind of achievement-system.

It would probably make things easier for programmers. And of course it needs to support a simple API for developers, and an organized data format for game/server interaction.

So, what you guys think?

[EDIT] I fixed the title to be less misleading =)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:26:29 AM by Melly » Logged

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »

Please check stickies!

Edit:
Hmm, wait a sec. The thread title is pretty misleading haha.
Yes, this sounds like a good idea for those that would like to use it!

ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »

If someone developed a unified networking system for this compo, that would be so fucking awesome.

PS: Nice sig; where'd you get it? Tongue
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:27:48 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »

Mmm, interesting. The stickies are getting a little crowded, so I'll leave this here for now.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »

If someone developed a unified networking system for this compo, that would be so fucking awesome.

PS: Nice sig; where'd you get it? Tongue
Yup, I though right so. But I'll try to make a graph that explains basic functionality in bit better detail for tomorrow.
Btw, even kind of tournaments could be made simply with this IGMMS (intergame matchmaking server). Once the server has functionality, it can be used easily by any game using IGMMS.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:51:47 PM by Geeze » Logged

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »

I had a similar thought myself actually. I'd definitely consider implementing it into my game if somebody were to make something like this and it looked simple and reliable enough. I mean the rough plan of what I'm going to do in my head says I'm probably going to implement some kind of rudimentary lobby system anyway so having this kind of system would make sense for me. Otherwise I guess we could always just idle on the IRC channel and trade IP addresses or something, but that wouldn't be nearly as cool.

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »

Demonstration of simplest possible scenario.(Regular TCP/IP etc.)

1. Player connects to lobby
2. Server starts for searching other players. Server sends required information for both players so their clients can establish a connection.
3. Players play game.

Of course server will support also other settings related to matchmaking.

NOTE! If you(developer) are planning to use this if it ever gets complete, don't worry about making it compatible. The actual gameplay has nothing to with lobby, so you can do the actual client-client networkin any way you want to.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic