Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:57:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Synchronous Smash Squads
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Synchronous Smash Squads  (Read 1614 times)
Devenger
Level 0

Pardon me, is this where the fun is?

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »

Title subject to change depending on whether I can drag myself away from needless alliteration.

Game idea: an ill-conceived mash-up of the mechanics of Super Smash Bros (wacky sidescroller-platformer-fighter about hitting your opponents so hard they fly off the screen) and Frozen Synapse (turn-based game about squad-level tactics, where turns are declared by the two players then simulated simultaneously).

Give each of the two players a whole load of characters (5? 10?) to play at once - set them all down in a platformer environment. Different characters have different themes and fit standard archetypes (e.g. a swordsman who only attacks up close, an archer who can quick-fire projectiles, a rogue who does extra damage from behind, and a wizard who can charge up area-of-effect attacks).

For each turn, have players dictate a single action to each of their characters (choice of action - move, attack, or charge-up attack? - and directions left, right, up and down). Once both players have dictated actions to their doomed little soldiers, do some (2?) seconds of action. Successful attacks on characters damage them and send them flying (characters act like physics objects when hit - wheeee!); distance flown proportional to how much damage the character has taken in total. Characters who fly out of the screen are dead. (Assume fighting is on a floating island in the sky or something.)

Development tactics: FlashDevelop, Flixel (too busy to learn something totally new right now). Focus on hotseat play first, but structure turn data so as to make networking simple to add later (lord knows how - it's such a shame that Flash is poor at using IRC channels...); focus on gameplay over art (army of boxes with eyes likely).

Critique welcome. Observations that I am still quite new at this and thus doomed also welcome. More specific despair that the only game I have ever really completed was to a 48-hour deadline will be handled personally; assistance not required.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »

What an intriguing idea... I like the unique mechanics, and the cute idea of launching foes. Perhaps you could have some classes that can heal, or set up barriers to prevent characters being launched through a certain area?

Do you need ideas for characters, or anything?
sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »

I'm excited for this for one reason: turn based in-air combat. Launching means tons of things up in the air. I'm thinking that there should be bonuses for combat on the ground.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic