Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:17:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)A little fighter [no title yet]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A little fighter [no title yet]  (Read 3864 times)
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »

I've got this little idea that just might work.
This game is going to be a simple little fighter, more like Smash Bros. rather than Street Fighter. Two players (for now) play as simple characters with not much to them. They're weak and don't do much. However, there are four different "classes," each of them are on the stage as items. When a player touches these items, they gain the powers of these items to become stronger and get new moves specific to each class, and gain a new life bar in addition to their normal one. There are two of each kind of class on the field at one time, and each player can only have one kind at one time. If the class's health bar is depleted, that item is destroyed and that player loses that class and goes back to their starting form. A player wins by depleting the other player's normal life bar.

What do you think? Any specifics I should work on? Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:35:05 PM by Zanza » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

Ah, what a creative idea! I like the idea of donning classes; maybe they could be represented as 'armors', or 'hats'?

Do you need ideas on classes? Stages?
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

Ah, yes I do!
I was figuring kind of an RPG fantasy style setting, so classes could be like RPG classes. Maybe like fighter, ranger, thief, stuff like that. Generally, since I'm going to limit myself to four, I would need to figure out exactly which ones to use so that I could have a good variety and nothing too similar to each other.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »

Ah, yes I do!
I was figuring kind of an RPG fantasy style setting, so classes could be like RPG classes. Maybe like fighter, ranger, thief, stuff like that. Generally, since I'm going to limit myself to four, I would need to figure out exactly which ones to use so that I could have a good variety and nothing too similar to each other.

The generic splat for RPGs works really well; bulky fighter that takes and deals damage well, a mage with unique, odd, and powerful magical attacks that is frail, a speedy back-stabber who can steal stuff (maybe allowing you to steal items / classes?), and I'd love to see a Bard class, which produces random effects like Game and Watch.

For levels, I wouldn't think too many would be necessary; maybe a dungeon, a lava level, a climactic tower area, some Final Desination trippy area, and a "nature level" (fighting on a jungle plateau with waterfalls?)

Best of luck with this idea! It sounds really, really fun, and I can't wait to try it out. If you need any more ideas, I'd love to help!
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »

Okay, I think the class list will be Fighter, Thief, Mage and Bard (I didn't think of that, but I like it). I also like those level ideas, and I think I'll work with those, at least to begin with.
ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »

Good to see you get started! What are you devvin' in, if you don't mind me asking?
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:03:36 PM »

Multimedia Fusion 2. I had to get it once for a game development class, so I got a student discount. I would use Game Maker, but I don't have the money for pro right now and MMF2 has more going for it than GM lite.
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »

This idea is very interesting, super smash bros with lots of extras! The classes systems is very interesting and I'm sure it'll be very intriguing to play. I look forward to seeing screenshots whenever those are made available.

And I dunno about network capability in MMF2... Is it gonna be a local game or could we hope to play this in an online mode?  Wink
Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »

What about a class tree? Picking up more than one class would combine it with the previous ones.
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »

And I dunno about network capability in MMF2... Is it gonna be a local game or could we hope to play this in an online mode?  Wink
Sadly, I do not have the programming knowledge or experience for online play, so I'm sticking with local.
What about a class tree? Picking up more than one class would combine it with the previous ones.
Sounds like a good idea. I probably won't do it for the compo, though.
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 04:30:21 AM »

How are you doing man? Your idea sounds awesome, do you have some screenshots? :D

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »

I love the idea. I hope you are able to finish it, because it sounds glorious.

I can't wait for some screenshots or something. Smiley

Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 01:24:12 PM »

It's cool to see that people are excited! I do not have a screen shot yet, but I will say one thing....
Since I have little experience, I have decided to make it easier and harder for me at the same time: Imma use rotoscoping.
What do you think, good idea or bad?
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »

I've never used rotoscoping before, but it seems hard to do, I dunno. Maybe someone more experienced could give some advice about it.

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic