Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:46:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Fight the system
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fight the system  (Read 2265 times)
orionblack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »

Since the first time I heard about Spy Party I though it was genius, sadly I've never played it(and I don't see that happening in a near future Concerned). So when I saw versus was the theme Spy Party was the first thing that came to my mind. I'll try to make something around the same core mechanic.

How it'll play.
You get to be "the system" Blink or some guy/gal who is against it Cool. If you are the anti-system guy/gal you should create discomfort between the population. On the other side if you are the system you should identify and eradicate whoever is trying to break you.

How it'll look.
I'll try to get some collaboration, my art mostly sucks. I'm thinking about a 2D top view of the whole city.

Creating discomfort between the population.
So far I've think of some simple mechanics for it, but I'll keep cracking the idea for some days.

Oral propaganda.- You can situate in a crowded area and start talking out loud. As "The system" you can see guys speaking all over the city, but unless you're really close you can't tell if he's are selling something, crazy or making propaganda.

Written propaganda.- You can give out pamphlets and stuff. It'll probably work like oral propaganda.

Culture jamming.- You can 'vandalize' system's propaganda. At the beginning of the game "the system" will make a motto that you can retort to satirize system's ideas/values.

Those are a couple mechanic ideas. BTW "the system" will also have ways of reduce discomfort for example not letting it motto to be mocked..."the system" will control a cop(or maybe more) and be able to "enforce" (suppress) whoever opposes him. That doesn't mean the guy can just go and kill whoever he suspects, killing innocents will increase discomfort.

When the game ends.
When certain level of discomfort is reached you can start a rebellion and break the system. "the system" can win by identifying who is behind everything and killing him/her.

Technical aspects.
I'll code it with AS3 but I'm not sure what to use for the back-end. I have experience with sockets in C and PHP and some distributed stuff in erlang but I'll probably use something like player.io or fox server. Suggestions on this regard are welcomed.

Collaborations.
Artist.-I can hardly make any decent art.
Musician.- I can make some not-so-bad tunes but I'd prefer someone with a better idea.

If you're interested send me a PM. BTW I'll start coding it by the beginning of February, but i think we should start polishing the game design as soon as possible.

Other
Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »

I imagine The System as an RTS, with you controlling squads of cops, of 'cleaners' (who take down graffiti, hunt down pamphlets, etc.), and organizing the city and its propaganda. This idea is pretty clever, and I can't wait to see it fleshed out some more!
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »

This actually sounds really promising. Have you made any progress yet? Any updates soonish?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
orionblack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »

I haven't make nothing specific for this game, but during the GGJ I tried to make something that also involved the simulation of a small city so I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I'll start with some mockups by wednesday.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

Cool, I look forward to see what you make. Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic