Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:15:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Super Cake Fight [finished]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Super Cake Fight [finished]  (Read 11549 times)
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Major Bubble-Bobble nostalgia trip.

-PENCERKOFF

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »

Our group really liked this game. Cute, simple and one of the more creative games in the compo. However, couldn't figure out how to win or end the game!

We figured out the basics pretty quickly (for us). But it never hurts to have some basic instructions in-game, no matter how intuitive the controls and goals are.

At one point, it seemed like one player got stuck in the "stunned" state and couldn't eat anything or do anything to get out of it. We concluded it must be a bug.

We didn't realize you also had to get your opponent into your cake to win! Since we ran into that little bug earlier, we thought the victory condition was also bugged because we completed both cakes and couldn't figure why the game wasn't ending.

We thought the SZXC controls were counter-intuitive. WASD would be more in-line with other games, I think.

Earlier, right after the compo deadline, I was going through collecting links to all the online games. At one point I had all the games open in separate tabs, and I went through to copy the link from each. I didn't intend to play any at that time, but for whatever reason this one caught my eye and I tried it. I think this probably had something to do with the music and the clean, simple page the game is on.

Fun music. Cute, cohesive visuals. The aesthetics come together really well, I think. Thanks for making it!
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I'm glad you had fun with it; it's my first flash game and I had a good time making it.

I'll look into the bug you found, Fluff; I am working on a "how to play" screen for an attract mode, which should help players to know how to win. Something like a "bake opponent!" pop-up might work, too, but I like how little visible UI there is at the moment.

Do you remember where the player was in the level when stunned indefinitely? I think there might be something with the "on-the-ground" hit detection that is happening to prevent the stun from resetting. 

I don't know why I didn't change to WASD when I changed the controls to movement + one button. Seems silly to me now.

Thanks again for the feedback! I'm going to add more levels when I have time, along with the "how to play" screen. Stay tuned for exotic locales, like, "CRYSTAL OFFICE!" and "SAD VOID!"

|
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

Do you remember where the player was in the level when stunned indefinitely? I think there might be something with the "on-the-ground" hit detection that is happening to prevent the stun from resetting.

Yes, this would make sense because I remember falling right after or before getting hit. After I landed, it never reset. I could have been hit midair, or (perhaps) knocked off the side of a ledge. I'm not sure where I was when hit, but I remember falling afterwards. Hope that helps. XD

Stay tuned for exotic locales, like, "CRYSTAL OFFICE!" and "SAD VOID!"

Sounds great! :D
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic