Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:53:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)TTTCW (Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: TTTCW (Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump) [FINISHED]  (Read 18541 times)
sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »

Also, I just hit a little glitch where if you tap up or down on the lance at the very last second, the other player never dismounts, but the score counter goes up.

[edit]
Basically if any win is registered in the last split second, albeit a shield moving away or a lance being put in place, the losing player never dismounts. I can get both players to get hit but not fall off at the same time. Concerned

Game's great though, I love it.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2011, 01:43:37 AM »

Also, I just hit a little glitch where if you tap up or down on the lance at the very last second, the other player never dismounts, but the score counter goes up.

[edit]
Basically if any win is registered in the last split second, albeit a shield moving away or a lance being put in place, the losing player never dismounts. I can get both players to get hit but not fall off at the same time. Concerned

Yes, I've had a hard time earlier with this so I put it away and left it as it was. But because you've pointed it out and it's still before deadline, I've decided to iron it out. I've added a limit that disables player controls once the knights are in a given proximity. This way there should be no strange false-positives that you experienced.

I've also added a little indicator in the middle of the ground that greys out once the player controls are disabled so it's easier to track how much longer you can change your decisions.

Could you please try the game again and see if it's better now?

I know you're done and all, but it's just a little annoying that if you're typing in a name for the character and you happen to press "p," the flixel pause box shows up and the music stops. You can still type into the box at that point, but it freaked me out a little bit, I thought I broke it.

That's another glitch I put away for later. But as I'm already fixing the above problem, I've also fixed this one. Now the Flixel pause should not kick in once the focus is on one of the input fields (but it still kicks in once the game loses focus).

sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »

Link's showing up blank right now.

EDIT: Nevermind, there just isn't a preloader.

Much better.  Grin

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2011, 01:55:46 AM »

Link's showing up blank right now.

EDIT: Nevermind, there just isn't a preloader.

Much better.  Grin

Great! :D

I don't know what happened to the preloader... Some kind of mystery. WTF

Edit: All right, the preloader is back. Basically the input pause prevention was done in the wrong class and whole game had to be loaded to start the preloader. Facepalm
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:04:36 AM by goshki » Logged

sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »

Edit: All right, the preloader is back. Basically the input pause prevention was done in the wrong class and whole game had to be loaded to start the preloader. Facepalm
Pro logic.  Giggle

Built by Man
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »

Kind of like Nidhogg but on horse back. Very nice.
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

The game comes together really well. The graphics all work together and it's a simple, clear mechanic. It's the kind of game I would be proud of.

Despite all this, it only held our attention for a few rounds. Being essentially a twist on Rock Paper Scissors it suffers, I think, from some of the same problems as that game. You can make guesses at what the other person will pick but in the end it's just a guess. (Or, at least, that was our experience. We just chose a random combination at the last minute that was as unrelated as we could get to what we were doing leading up to the confrontation.)

Really, though, the game is not trying to do any more than this. It works on the level it's trying to work on.

Other thoughts:
We played on a TV so it was hard to read the smaller text like the instructions and keys.

We didn't realize you could enter names. Maybe there is a way to make it clear you can change that text? The gender choice was a nice touch, though.

The light grey "letters and numbers only" under the name field seems unnecessary. (I think people will realize this if they try it.)

When you click on a name, maybe have it auto select everything so you can type in a new name without having to delete things first? (Or, maybe just have the default name disappear the first time you click on the text field?)

I wonder how would the game change if the inputs were reduced to 2? Just SHIELD UP and LANCE UP. So you would have 4 possible input combinations. Hmm, well, just a thought.

Thanks for making the game!
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 02:49:41 AM »

Despite all this, it only held our attention for a few rounds. Being essentially a twist on Rock Paper Scissors it suffers, I think, from some of the same problems as that game. You can make guesses at what the other person will pick but in the end it's just a guess. (Or, at least, that was our experience. We just chose a random combination at the last minute that was as unrelated as we could get to what we were doing leading up to the confrontation.)

You are totally right. The game came out as trying to read other player's mind based on their previous rather than current actions. Initially I've had plans to make controls fully physics based (the lance would bend a little under it's own wieght and it would be prone to braking if the stress was too big) but it feeled too inconvenient in the prototyping phase. That's why I stayed with the simple RPS mechanics.

I wonder how would the game change if the inputs were reduced to 2? Just SHIELD UP and LANCE UP. So you would have 4 possible input combinations. Hmm, well, just a thought.

Also about 2 button control-scheme - I've considered making the lance and shield automatically swing up and down and letting the player stop swinging by pressing appropriate key but I ditched this idea with full physics controls. Nonetheless I think it's a good thought to reiterate all the concepts I had in the beginning.

But I definitely am proud of how the game came out. It's my first fully complete game and I see its conciseness as a good compromise between finishing it that way or not finishing at all.

Thank you for your input, it's really valuable. Beer!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic