Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:25:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Cold Wave [PC - Windows - C++]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Cold Wave [PC - Windows - C++]  (Read 3990 times)
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »

This is a project I've been working ever since 2009, and it won't be finished in a long time. Reason for this is the size of the story, and not to mention, I'm working on this all alone. Everything except for the music and sounds will be made by me.

> Technical information
I'm making the game with C++ and SDL-libraries. The game is 2D action/adventure game viewed from top-down view. Talking characters are seen as separate "talking heads", though they aren't animated.

Game's world is half open and half closed: you move forward from city to another, and in each of these cities you're able to move freely. Because of the story however, you may not be able to go back to the previous cities.

You play the game by running around, activating events and sometimes fighting against some characters and beasts. There's a separate Final Fantasy styled turn-based battlesystem for that too.

> World
The people in the game are living in a fictional planet called Alpisha, where it's always winter. In Alpisha there are no countries with their own cultures, but it's divided in 100 sectors. Not all sectors are dominated by winter, because there are sectors with volcanic activity (Volcano Sectors). Bad thing is, these sectors are surrounded by "Storm Rings", which make it difficult to travel from and in to these sectors. Some sectors - exactly 21 - are also completely taken by water (Sea Sector).

Despite the variety of sectors the winter's still the dominating season, and it's cold enough for people to have decided to live underground. There's also no personal vehicles like cars - except for some random snowledges and trucks - everyone uses the subway, airplanes and ships. Of course there is the option of just walking from city to another, but outside of the cities live bloodthirsty beasts, that even Alpisha's police "Global Guarding and Protection Unit" can't do much about.

> Story
The game tells the story of Mark Dwayne, a man that finds himself in middle of some little city - with no recollection of his past. He starts his journey to find his home-town, and 5 years later he arrives into the city of Coveridge.

Here he finds out he has supposedly murdered a friend of his, and that he's supposed to be dead from the punishment. He refuses to believe this and starts to investigate the case to prove his innocence, which starts an epic adventure of incredible proportions.

> Screenshots
http://projectcoldwave.blogspot.com/2011/11/screenshots.html

> Download the demo
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/adventure/project-cold-wave/8807/
Works on Windows 7, but I think it should run on XP and Vista as well.

From the above link you can both download the demo, and play it straight from the browser. While playing it from browser though, saving won't work.

Any feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:03:31 PM by erakko » Logged
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »

Updated the first post. I also moved from using my own handmade site to Blogger, it looks at least a bit better for promoting this project.

http://projectcoldwave.blogspot.com/
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:11:03 PM »

These kind of games are lovely. The execution might be crude, but there's obviously all the more soul and effort gone into them. Feels like you get to know the developer by playing... Only in the indie scene.

Also, hooray for 19-year-old Finnish gamedevs that watch anime.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »

Little teaser for the game:

erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »

The project has been through some improvements and new additions, so I decided to update the demo.

http://www.1337upload.net/files/cold_wave_demo_1_3.zip
Details

I hope to hear feedback from those who try it, it'll help the project to improve even further and me to fix any possible bugs there may occur.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:40:59 AM »

Nope, it's not dead. There's not much to say, but there's progress and the project is far from frozen. Have a peak at my development progress.
orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:06:16 AM »

Would that be the French Coldwave, or the American Rust Belt Coldwave?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldwave  Grin

erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:34:35 AM »

Would that be the French Coldwave, or the American Rust Belt Coldwave?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldwave  Grin
Nah, it's the Yu-Gi-Oh! card :D
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 06:56:44 AM »

a game about the french coldwave would have been cool

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »

a game about the french coldwave would have been cool
Probably.

Unfortunately the project name is something that simply popped up in my mind when I started this, only the word "cold" has something to even do with this project :P
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »

Added a new version of the demo, you can check it out from the Game Jolt link in first post.

New demo introduces the new and improved (?) way to choose which characters you will use in battle, and some other small interface changes.
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »

The tutorial needs work. It's informative & well enough written, but seems more like in-game manual content than a tutorial. It's too intrusive.

Much air was stabbed. The combat system seems excellent so far. Interface could use some tightening though. It's obtuse that when you wanna select actions after moves are chained up, the menu appears in the context of where you're actually standing. It'd make more sense if it was above the ghost (or at least, if the ghost furthest along the path was still shown).

Unfortunately after I killed the wolf then the goon with the gun, I went back to the aid station & pressed space on the chick there, and got a crash-to-desktop.

Anyway, the game is surprisingly atmospheric. It's itching for audio, especially ambient sounds and music. Do you have a sound guy?

I'm a big fan of these labor of love projects.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »

Much air was stabbed. The combat system seems excellent so far. Interface could use some tightening though. It's obtuse that when you wanna select actions after moves are chained up, the menu appears in the context of where you're actually standing. It'd make more sense if it was above the ghost (or at least, if the ghost furthest along the path was still shown).

Unfortunately after I killed the wolf then the goon with the gun, I went back to the aid station & pressed space on the chick there, and got a crash-to-desktop.

Anyway, the game is surprisingly atmospheric. It's itching for audio, especially ambient sounds and music. Do you have a sound guy?
Thanks for your reply!

About your suggestion to the combat system, I agree and I'm in middle of changing it that way in the game. There will probably be another update to the demo soon.

I checked if I got a crash at the same spot you did but nothing out of ordinary happened. Can't really say why that happened but I'll keep it in mind.

About sounds, I'm working on the game so that once I get the story and everything finished I'll start working on the sounds. I've got to search for free-to-use-as-long-as-no-profit-is-gained music and sound effects but I know one guy that promised he would do some music when I need.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 11:20:53 AM »

Hey, how's this going? Keep us posted, man.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »

Hey, how's this going? Keep us posted, man.
Wow, someone remembered this! Sorry, if it wasn't for the email I got for your reply I probably wouldn't have ever remembered this thread's existence.

Anyway, lots of progress has been made, 6 out of 17 chapters are now ready. Biggest change recently is in the temperature system, and you can read more about that here. Just as the post indicates there will be another update for the demo someday showing this new system.

Another highlight is the fact the project is now 4 years old. Not to worry though, the first year didn't really have any progress so you could say I've been working on the project as it is now for 2 years (that second year was mostly recreating the engine and the story).

Other than that, nothing exactly new going on. I'm mostly working on the story so it's quite rare if I actually have something to say about the project.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »

Cool. The lengthy but steady development gives the impression it's a "labor of love", as said above.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 04:59:32 AM »

Version 1.4 of the demo released! Read more details from here.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »

Hooray, the story is half complete! Read more details from here.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 02:49:05 AM »

Must be a great feeling. The fact that you've been going on for 4 years is admirable, keep it up.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »

I feel like I should give this thread an update on the project's situation.

I did write a long post about it here, but in a nutshell, the project is nearing it's end. But not exactly on a happy note, as I decided to end the story in a cliffhanger. It's been just too long in many ways. Another more detailed text about that here.

So for now I will be polishing the game and it will get a release somewhere this year.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic