Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:26:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Giant Lords
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Giant Lords  (Read 1646 times)
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »

LATEST SCREENSHOT/PICTURE:

Giant Lords (temporary name)
(Giant = big person or thing. Lourd = Heavy (French))

You are a giant stranded on a planet with a person you just can't stand, who also happens to be a giant. You both have your own castles on your own sides of the planet. Build towers on your side of the planet to harness magic giant energy, which makes you grow. Upgrade your castle to better defend your half of the planet. Go to the other side of the planet to trash your opponents towers, and ultimately destroy his castle to win. More info and de-confusion coming later.

Choose among several giant characters, such as the gentleman, the monster, and the robot.

Tools

• Flex AS3
  • Flixel
  • Player.io for network functionality
  • GIMP for creating graphics
  • Maybe tweenlite for tweening and additional libraries

Comments are very welcome.  Coffee
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:02:30 PM by Daniel Eddeland » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »

I like the idea of defending towers and also having a character to control to destroy them. This looks nice! I also love the mock-up's style.
Woos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

looks/sounds nice, but maybe keep it simple =)

Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

looks/sounds nice, but maybe keep it simple =)
Of course! I actually plan to keep the basic gameplay pretty simple, but then work on refining the details and balancing stuff, and polish.

So I've been busy and lazy, and haven't done much more since the last post. Today I decided to finally do something, so I made a new version of the planet graphic, to motivate myself to work more often Tongue

There! Now I'm good for at least 4 more days!

Gameplay

So I decided I might as well write some about the gameplay, in case anyone would be interested.

You have a castle on top/bottom of the planet, as do your opponent. Whoever trashes the other player's castle wins.

The planet

The planet is divided into two halves: yours and your opponent's. The sides are "lava zones" which belongs to nobody (nobody can build there).

Towers

Build towers on your side to gain energy at a faster speed. The further a tower is from your castle, the more energy it generates. You cannot build towers on your opponents side; but you can destroy his towers! You can have a maximum of 6 or 8 towers.

Energy/Magic

All the time you stay on your side of the planet, you gain energy. Energy is represented by the lighting symbol. You can use energy to build towers or upgrade the castle.

Size and growing

You grow all the time (even when not on your own side). The more energy you have in stock, the faster you grow! (so don't spend it all too quickly). The bigger you are, the stronger you get. Your strength is represented by the red man symbol.

The castle

You can upgrade the castle, using energy. Each time you upgrade your castle, your defence improves (symbolized by the blue shield). Defence improves personal defence, castle defence, the HP of towers, and creates protective aura which protects towers close to the castle. The highest level castle will protect all towers from being destroyed.

Fighting

When touching your enemy, you will hit each other. The strength decides how hard you hit. An offensive and defensive bonus is given to the player currently on his own side of the planet. You cannot lose life / die, but when you get hit you lose energy instead. As well as fighting with your enemy, you can attack is castle.

Other (these are "maybe-ideas")

Use energy to buy landmines, which will injure your enemy.
At random times, free energy bonuses will appear in the lava zones. First one to get them, gets lots of free energy.

Controls

Move left and right using the arrow keys. Push up while on your own side to build a tower. Push down to place a landmine. Push up while in front of your castle to upgrade it. Simply touch an opponent building, or the opponent, to attack (alternate: push down to attack, and up to leech power from enemy towers).

This is a preliminary control scheme, designed for ease of use with several players locally. If the main feature is online play, then maybe a GUI for the mouse will be better.

Feel free to ask questions regarding gameplay if the description seems confusing.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »

neat concept and lovely art  Kiss

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic