Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:22:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)[FINISHED (?)] Fisticuffs: A Gentleman's Quarrel
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED (?)] Fisticuffs: A Gentleman's Quarrel  (Read 18227 times)
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »

I finished my exploratory technology research.  I've decided to use Game Maker (surprise!) so I don't have to spend 90% of my dev time futzing with SDL.   Crazy

So far I've hacked together a basic two-player environment with dynamic split-screen.  I will hopefully have some sort of simple demo in the next few days.
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 08:50:36 PM »

Alrighty!  I have a VERY basic tech demo that exhibits potential airship physics.  WASD are used for player 1, and the arrow keys are used for player 2.  If all is working properly, both players should be able to fly around the level, and bounce off of the level walls and the gray blocks, as well as each other.

Download Fisticuffs Demo 1.0

Please, go ahead and break it!  I am not expecting the collisions to be working 100%.

I'm going to work on some background music this week.  I'm thinking something similar to the Henry Hatsworth soundtrack.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:01:11 PM by Coriform » Logged
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 11:23:54 PM »

Runs fine here, the collisions are quite vigorous though! Two other things caught my eye:

* The split playfield is *really* nice - great job!

* I think the balloon movement would be more interesting if X and Y behaved differently - at the moment it feels a bit like a top down game with side-on sprites, if you see what I mean?

Will
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »

Thank you, Will!  The dynamic split-screen is hacked together from a couple other Game Maker projects, so I really can't take the credit.  I totally agree with you about the movement, although I haven't quite figured out the best approach.  In the least, I will probably increase the max horizontal speed and momentum, as well as reduce the vertical bounce.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:16:03 AM by Coriform » Logged
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »

Still programming...

One of my friends made (pre)fan art!  I think it looks pretty awesome:

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »

Yes! I was looking forward to some fan art for this one.  Gentleman
DrOctapu
Level 0

Brutally modest.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »

I have a friend who loves stuff like this.

Add me on...
 Desura | Steam
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »

Short post: some updates:

- Finished the finalized movement, collision, and upgrade systems for racing section
- Creating a pause screen

Huh, that somehow managed to be even LESS interesting than I was expecting.  I will upload a new demo soon, perhaps tomorrow!
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »

I didnt know gentlemen told each other about their mothers in hot air balloons.

unbecoming I say
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »

I've made some updates - significant additions include traps, boosters, and some basic animations.  
Controls: P1 holds the 'W' key to increase altitude; P2 holds 'Up'

Next: backgrounds, combo system (!), enemies, etc.r

Updated technical demo:

Fisticuffs Tech Demo 1.1
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:17:04 AM by Coriform » Logged
Polygraph
Level 0

Abraham de Lacy Giuseppe Casey Thomas O'Malley

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »

I dunno if you fixed it in 1.1, but I broke something as you asked.

If the two balloons are coming at each other from the top and the bottom and collide correctly, they fly through each other at a great speed.  Replicatable.

JUST AS PLANNED.
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »

Title screeeeeeeeeeen

Should have next demo by tomorrow, methinks.
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:11 AM »

Tomorrow... ten days later... same thing...

Alright, here's the latest demo of Fisticuffs: The Legendary Journeys.  Or whatever the subtitle is.  It is about 50% completed, although unfortunately, I'm not ready to show off some of the fun/simple/stupid attacks!  With all the free time I'll have next week, I am fairly confident this project will be completed by the deadline and/or a later date.

Click here to download the latest build

Additionally, if anyone is interested, they are certainly welcome to look at the brief design document I put together.
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »

Definitely feels like a complete game now - I like the start where you choose your quarrel.

It worked for me up until I got (I assume) to the end - the timeout for the other player counted down but then I just had a black box in the middle of the screen.

Will
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »

Could someone post a screenshot please?
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »

It worked for me up until I got (I assume) to the end - the timeout for the other player counted down but then I just had a black box in the middle of the screen.

Right you are!  From there, the game will transition to the second phase of the gameplay (a beat-em-up), which is currently being worked on as we speak (I am multitasking  Who, Me?)
Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 07:14:36 AM »

Could someone post a screenshot please?

Here's a few! (click to view full size)

You and your opponent input your names and select your scenario:

Some racing:

Dynamic split-screen:

Once one player reaches the end, a countdown timer begins to allow the second player to finish:

Bonuses!

Coriform
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »

Finished!  Probably full of bugs, but that adds to the flavor!

Download Linkey
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »

We thought this game was really cute with a lot of personality. It takes you on a little journey and tells a little story and at the end you're satisfied with the experience. But, you don't really have any motivation to play again.

Some thoughts:

We liked entering names and choosing what to fight over.

The dynamic split screen was a big hit.

The pickups were hard to distinguish and we didn't really know why we were picking them up or what the colors meant.

We thought there really wasn't enough time to react to things in the race mode. What you hit was pretty much random.

Some of the art works well, like the gentlemen fighting and pipe menu selector, but the visuals don't come together as a cohesive whole. Most jarring is the difference in sprite resolutions. All the "pixels" on the screen should be the same size! And is that 4 different fonts used on the main menu? Grin

Took us a little while to figure out what keys to use on the purchase upgrade screen between the two modes.

Overall, a fun little game! It seems like the kind of thing you would play to settle a dispute. "No it's your turn to take out the trash. Ok let's settle this in Fisticuffs!"

Thanks for making it!
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »

Alright, so, the split-screen doesn't work for me. When the two balloons are far enough apart that it should be working, the orange balloon's  half goes black. The game is still playable, but the blue balloon kinda has an unfair advantage...

I'm Running Windows 7 on an Alienware M15, with a 1.60GHz Intel Core i7 processor and an Nvidia GeForce GT video card.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic