Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:21:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationTriagulon [demo 3: Ptime for Pterodactyls]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Triagulon [demo 3: Ptime for Pterodactyls]  (Read 30693 times)
BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2008, 03:14:17 AM »

Updated!

Here's the latest demo:
http://www.radiopoultry.com/projects/triagulon/TriagulonDemo.0.31.zip

Originial post:

Not exactly sure where I'm going with this project, but I'm having fun making it. Features a randomly generated maze and fractal landscape.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:06:40 AM by BobFM » Logged
medieval
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 03:18:16 AM »

Maybe some kind of shooter would look nice from it. The fractal landscape is perfect for that, you know. Just add some walls to hide and stuff (So not really a maze)

If you are going to continue with the maze thing, however, that would be pretty cool too.
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:35:42 AM »

looks cool so far,. I am finding that too, it is easy to come up will lots of stuff, to generate and is danm fun to do it,. if we hope to get a 'game' out then just gotta focus and build in some game play i guess,. then generate more stuff to fill it out Smiley

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
increpare
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 05:07:01 AM »

Heh: that really reminds me of the maze-levels in magic carpet Smiley  Keep it up!
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »

Looks to me like a wicked skate park.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »

I'm imagining a giant face in the sky...

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »

BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »

Yes, I'd say a low-poly, levitating head is pretty much a must. Also, pterodactyls.

The game still has a lot of basic work to be done (wall collisions, for example), but I think I can get a reasonably complete game done before the deadline.

I actually started a game for the previous competition that would have been called "The Six Million Dollar Octopus in the Bayou", but it never got very far at all. Did teach me a few things about DirectX, though. And there's a few pieces of code I made for the tentacles that could come handy for creature animation in this game.
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »

From the first screen I imagine an alien skyline with several moons and a maze of white walls pocked with alien runes.  As you crest the rise you can see over the wall in front of you.  A view of twising passages extends in all directions, with the monolith towering in the distance, dark and imposing...

Of course, that's just me and I think a maze alone (if done well) is suitably sweet!

Cheers,
--Zack
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:47:15 AM »

zradick:From the first screen I imagine an alien skyline with several moons and a maze of white walls pocked with alien runes.  As you crest the rise you can see over the wall in front of you.  A view of twising passages extends in all directions, with the monolith towering in the distance, dark and imposing...

You think in text adventures.

When I look at that 3d maze, I see fast gameplay.  I see running, searching the skyline for a way out ... running some more.

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »

zradick:From the first screen I imagine an alien skyline with several moons and a maze of white walls pocked with alien runes.  As you crest the rise you can see over the wall in front of you.  A view of twising passages extends in all directions, with the monolith towering in the distance, dark and imposing...

You think in text adventures.

When I look at that 3d maze, I see fast gameplay.  I see running, searching the skyline for a way out ... running some more.

Haha, yes.  Very true.   Grin
I actually want to write a text adventure some day, just haven't found the time yet...  And I want it to have tension, so I'm still trying to come up with a good way to do that without making it too punishing.

There are lots of directions someone could go with something like this.  Here's hoping it continues along one of the many available paths...

Cheers,
--Zack
BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 05:01:16 AM »

Behold, Iconicus!

Starting to get a better idea of where the game is going. Still quite a bit of work ahead of me. Quite a bit behind me too. Would you believe I entered all the vertex and index data for the head by hand? I really need to learn Blender sometime.
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 05:49:20 AM »

F*cking awesome.  Love the head.

You shouldn't feel so bad about entering things by hand.  I did the same thing for all the coords in my game as well.  Thankfully, I'm just in 2D!

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 06:46:58 AM »

Behold, Iconicus!

Starting to get a better idea of where the game is going. Still quite a bit of work ahead of me. Quite a bit behind me too. Would you believe I entered all the vertex and index data for the head by hand? I really need to learn Blender sometime.

This suddenly looks a lot more awesome. Zardoz wished he had triangle halos.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »

DOH   Smiley   somehow reminds me of Arkonoid,. . looks great really,. the coloured sky adds some niceness as well, although I would tint the giant floating head a bit more baby blue to go with the nice rusty hues,. will he spew scarry objects at the player like that mock-up ?!?  I hope so.

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »

This looks stylish as hell - looking forward to seeing how it develops! Smiley

BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »

DOH   Smiley   somehow reminds me of Arkonoid,. . looks great really,. the coloured sky adds some niceness as well, although I would tint the giant floating head a bit more baby blue to go with the nice rusty hues,. will he spew scarry objects at the player like that mock-up ?!?  I hope so.

Actually, the sky is still black, it just looks colored because the camera is inside a translucent pyramid. I might still give the sky a color, though. Originally, I was going to make everything in the game shaded black with white wire-frames. I quickly realized this wasn't going to cut it (distinguishing objects was too difficult). Though I've set colors for everything else, I've stuck with black for the background so far because it reminds me of old arcade games.

Good suggestion about the color of the head. Smiley

thief0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 12:31:15 PM »

this looks very interesting - what engine/program are you using to make this?
BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »

this looks very interesting - what engine/program are you using to make this?

I'm using Visual C++ with DirectX 9 libraries.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »

That looks great. Kiss

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic