Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:24:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Guardian Soul
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Guardian Soul  (Read 30267 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »

GUARDIAN SOUL

Mockup:

One player is the hero.

The other is the boss fight.

A boss rush action game of asymmetric competitive combat. Unique control schemes create unique experiences to being either the Hero or one of four Guardians standing between him and freedom from an ancient temple.

Play as the Hero for tight and responsive controls, like your traditional fast-paced action platformer. Collect unique abilities from downed bosses to fight the subsequent ones. Choose your order of combat. It's like Megaman, only not!

Play as the Guardians for an unique control scheme that allows the creative and strategic use of several maleable attack patterns to try and bring down your nimble opponent and create a challenge no AI could match.

Will feature online and offline multiplayer.

I'll be handling all coding duties.

I'm looking for:

- [MOSTLY OPEN] Artist(s) willing to animate many special effects and bosses, as well as background art. Drop me a line so I can see your work and judge whether you have a style that fits with what I have in mind. I will most likely handle the main character's animation and general spriting, but help cleaning up frames and stuff is welcome. I welcome discussion in creative boss designs. If you're only good with spriting or only good with backgrounds, no problem, I can take two. Grin

- [CLOSED] Musician(s) that always wanted to make a set of badass boss themes and a few mellower tunes for the in-betweens. I'm looking for boss songs that are dramatic, melodic, memorable (none of that stuff that likes to sit on the background and you can't remember it 5 minutes after playing) and get the blood pumping for ass-kicking.

I'll be posting progress as often as possible. Stay tuned! Grin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:25:09 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »

That is a cute... mammal... thing

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »

This sounds... really, really good. I am extremely curious to see the boss designs, and the game sounds like an utter thrill. How will fighting on one keyboard work? Or is it online?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »

Right now my idea is to have the boss control scheme be mostly mouse-focused, so the keyboard is free for the hero player.

Conker534
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »

EPIC. EPIC. EPIC. Idea.
Zanza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »

Okay, I'm very much looking forward to playing this one. My fighting game matches against my brother are typically one sided anyway, so let's see how this changes things...
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »

I can make some music for you, sure.

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »

Great idea, and loving the mockup!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:02:23 PM »

This looks extremely fun. Keeping an eye on this one. SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right
ink.inc
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »

GOOOO MELLYYYY

GO

GO

GO

GO
GDSkeptic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

Very much looking forward to playing as a Guardian.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:12:43 AM »

FINISH
THIS
GAME

Gentleman

hi
Maqrkk
Level 0

Coffee.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:42 AM »

Holy fuck. Yes please!

I like coffee, debugging and industrial hardcore. <3
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »

I look forward to everything but the furry fan art that will result from this game.

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 06:37:03 AM »

Wow, that sounds great! And... ambitious? And on top of it online multiplayer for a twitch-based fighting game, you are totally insane.
Don't you dare not to finish this game now, Melly!

By the way, did you do the mockup? Because it looks awesome!

If you're only good with spriting or only good with backgrounds, no problem, I can take two. Grin

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »

Indeed I did the mockup. Thanks. Grin

I look forward to everything but the furry fan art that will result from this game.

Haha, well if they ever enjoy my stuff then who am I to judge?

EDIT: Tonight I'll prepare an explanation (with pictures!) of my planned control scheme for boss players. I hope you guys can give me some input and suggestions then, since I don't think this was ever done before.

Plus a new Guardian design I came up with yesterday. The resident projectile spammer.

EDIT2: Can you say radial menus? Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:01:33 AM by Melly » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »

Listening to a lot of music from people offering their help. Kiss

Started trying to design another boss tonight. Something sleeker, faster, projectile-spammier:

I'm probably going to redraw it later with a more "ancient magic robot" feel in mind instead of just "megaman boss".

Going to prepare a little explanation of my proposed control scheme for bosses.

Conker534
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »

Hand Clap Kiss
jwk5
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »

This definitely looks like something I'd be interested in trying out! I especially love the concepts you've got going for it and your art style in general. I will be keeping tabs on this one! Beer!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »

Boss Player - Primary Control Scheme (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the radial menu)

In Guardian Soul, one of the players will control the bosses that will fight the player controlling the actual hero character.

In order to make it easy for people to play the game offline, as well as to make the control of boss attacks and patterns more flexible, I decided that bosses could be controlled entirely with the mouse, if the player so chose.

Only the left mouse button will be used, as I'm making this is Flash.

It all starts with a crosshair:

Bugger looks a bit lonely. Lets place him on the play field. Lets position him on our attack's start position:

Lets click, and be greeted by our friend, the radial menu:

Now just look at those possibilities! So many creative ways to dish out some punishment upon your unsuspecting opponent. Each option of the menu is a different 'attack', essentially a different action your boss character can perform.

Lets see what the one on the left is:

A machinegun attack. After the first click, the main crosshair is locked in place, and a secondary cursor is used to select which move you want, highlighting it and giving out its name.

Lets try it out. We click again on the Machinegun attack to select it:

Now we're given an arrow pointing at where we want to fire the attack from the starting position. This will be the way to control many attacks, but the idea is that there will be several attack and patterns with their own unique ways to be controlled. I'll design the whole thing to make learning these different controls as intuitive as possible, but there will be a comprehensive tutorial as a last resort.

Lets point the attack at the hero player, clicking for the third time and ending our input: (the crosshair will now be free to move again and issue another command while the first one is ongoing, allowing the boss player to queue attacks. There will also be a way to cancel the attack in the middle, within reason)

A simple attack, but the first of many possibilities. There will also be a way to make the boss simply move to a new position, if it can do that (some bosses may be more stationary and other very agile).

Well, I'm open for feedback and suggestions. I'm not sure something like this has been done in the past, but if it has I'd love to see a working solution to compare this to. Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic