Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:01:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Act of Violence: Kosplay Kombat (temp)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Act of Violence: Kosplay Kombat (temp)  (Read 7750 times)
jwk5
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:15 AM »

Team:      JWK5 (Art/Code), Tumetsu (Art/Code), JMickle (Music)

Tool:       Game Maker 8

Style:      Turn-Based 3-on-3 Battle
                (Think turn-based Marvel vs. Capcom)

Players:    1P Solo, 2P Hot Seat, 2P Online

Miscellaneous Files:
Animation Test 01
This is a simple animation test I made to get an idea of how I want to do the animations for the game.

We will post more information soon.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:23:06 PM by jwk5 » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »

jwk5's (you need a better name man) art powers strike back with a vengeance.

Totally want to see what comes out of this.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:02:41 AM »

Ah, I was wondering when you two would finally post.
Looks nice! Local or online? Turn-based sounds like a good online candidate Smiley

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:05:57 AM »

Wow. If you can keep that style throughout, I will play this forever.
jwk5
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »

Ah, I was wondering when you two would finally post.
Looks nice! Local or online? Turn-based sounds like a good online candidate Smiley
Thanks! It will be set up for hot seat offline play and for online play as well. We are hoping to have a single player campaign to that will tell the back stories of the characters and give the player a chance to learn how the different actions link together. Whether or not we actually implement the single player campaign will depend on how soon we get the multi-player up and running.

Wow. If you can keep that style throughout, I will play this forever.
Thanks also! Tumetsu and I actually found a way to mesh our styles well. Tumetsu will do the backgrounds (i.e. the literal backgrounds behind the curtains) and all the stage props (that are painted on to pressboard standups) and I will do the characters and stage. Everything will then be tweaked and adjusted so that it shares proper lighting. We are going to do a mockup which will will post soon to show off how this looks (I particularly love how the contrasts in style and color choices causes a sort of "pop out" effect). Tumetsu will also be handling the menus and such to give them a sort of a hand-drawn poster feel.

jwk5's (you need a better name man) art powers strike back with a vengeance.

Totally want to see what comes out of this.
Just call me John or JohnK if that helps, lol.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:00:48 AM by jwk5 » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »

There's way too many Johns on this website...  WTF

Anyway, good luck man!
jwk5
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »

There's way too many Johns on this website...  WTF
For we are Legion! Evil

Anyway, good luck man!
Thanks a lot! Smiley

Quick Update:
I added a little doodle comic to the 1st post that explains the gist of the game's storyline. Also, JMickle has joined the team and will now be creating the music for the game. Changed the temporary title too, "Kosplay Kombat" sounds catchier and funnier (we'll eventually decide on something more permanent).

Edit: Combined the temporary titles for two times the powerrrrr!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:18:39 PM by jwk5 » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »

John's a popular name, I guess?

Your art is stunning, and the idea is amusing to say the least. You also have a weird knack with making good titles, it seems. Act of Violence and Kosplay Kombat were BOTH wonderful.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »

Funny Cheesy The battles remind me of Paper Mario's combat (villain reminds me of Super Paper Mario, but I digress). Are you going to put timing-based combat to spice it up more than just pure turn-based gameplay?

jwk5
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »

Funny Cheesy The battles remind me of Paper Mario's combat (villain reminds me of Super Paper Mario, but I digress). Are you going to put timing-based combat to spice it up more than just pure turn-based gameplay?
The game play happens in two phases per turn. During the first phase Player 1 is the attacker and Player 2 is the defender. During the second phase Player 1 is the defender and Player 2 is the attacker. Each turn you have 3 options (defensive or offensive, depending on the phase) and one Intercept/Retreat option (intercept if you are in an offensive phase and retreat if you are in a defensive phase).

Each option slot corresponds to a different key (or controller button) and whichever you press chooses that option for the phase (your choice is not revealed to the other player). Each offensive option slot is countered by a defensive slot in the same position (So Attack "A" is blocked or countered by Defense "A"). Retreats automatically evade attacks (and allow you to switch characters) but Intercepts cancels a retreat and deals moderate damage.

While you only have the initial defense options, you have three levels of offensive options. When you successfully make an attack with a level 1 attack on your next offensive phase your level 1 attacks will be replaced with level 2 attacks. If you successfully make a level 2 attack then your next offensive phase attacks will be replaced with level 3 attacks (which after that you revert to level 1 attacks again).

Many attacks lay the groundwork for attacks of higher level (for instance you could have a level 1 "Oil Flask" attack that increases the damage on fire attacks made against your opponent, and then you might have a level 2 "Fire Ball" attack that deals fire damage and so on).

There is a bit more to it than that (such as a rock, paper, scissors element to the attacks vs. defenses) but that is the gist of it. The focus of the game is mind games. You know your opponent wants to set up his combos but he knows you know that and that you'll probably try and break his combos so it really comes down to bluffing and outsmarting. In order to successfully pull off combos and deal big damage you have to make your opponent believe you don't want to (or you could just try to "chip" him to death with sneaky level 1 attacks).

Once we have a demo going this will probably make a lot more sense, but hopefully you see where things are going.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »

I love the concept, and the comic totally sells it. If you can, you should definitely include those three panels as the intro of the game. Other than that, the setting made me chuckle. I so want to play this when it's ready!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »

Awesome premise. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »

From the way you described it, the combat now reminds me more of the card fighting minigame in FF: Chocobo Tales. (which is hella addicting, so it's not a bad thing Cheesy)

jwk5
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 07:48:44 PM »

File Download: GM8 Animation Test 01

I tried out a few different means of animating but ultimately this Paper Mario-esque method I came up with will probably be the best suited to the game play. I knew right away that traditional animating would be too cumbersome for the game because you'd see the same series of animations over and over so they'd quickly lose any excitement or impact they could bring to the table. Most importantly they'd slow down the game flow (since the game play revolves around pressing one of four keys or buttons per turn).

Knowing that I wouldn't be using traditional animating right off the bat my initial idea was to have the animation play out in a series of quick-appearing comic panels but when testing it I found it really didn't suit the "theatre" theme and also it was pretty jarring. The method I finally decided on "flips" the the standing image by graduallt reducing the "image_xscale" down to 0 (at which point int has been "flattened" into an invisible state) and then I change the character sprite to the attack image and gradually reduce the "image_xscale" down to -1, at which point the attack effect is triggered. It is quick, to the point, and looks nicer than a Pokemon-esque static image (plus it still allows me to use large, detailed images).

The graphics in this test are not reflective of what the graphics in the game will look like, they were little doodles to test with. The animation speed (especially in regards to the strike effect), transitioning, etc. will be a lot smoother in-game and the attack effects will utilize blending modes and whatnot so it will all look a lot prettier. Anyways, feedback would be appreciated.

I love the concept, and the comic totally sells it. If you can, you should definitely include those three panels as the intro of the game. Other than that, the setting made me chuckle. I so want to play this when it's ready!
Thanks! I will have a little intro story comic set up for the game (and hopefully even more for a single player campaign) but it will look much nicer than that one.

Awesome premise. Grin
Thanks a lot! :D

From the way you described it, the combat now reminds me more of the card fighting minigame in FF: Chocobo Tales. (which is hella addicting, so it's not a bad thing Cheesy)
I actually haven't played that game (I always wanted to, though). I draw most of the inspiration for the game's battle system from the battle system in Dokapon Kingdom/Journeys and from Kongai (on Kongregate). The goal was to create something that really promotes reading your opponent's motives and that would be suited to quick matches.

EDIT: Screen Layout

Now might be a good time to get a little feedback on the screen layout. I've been slowly but surely refining the layout and I've got it looking pretty smooth but it feels a bit claustrophobic. The main problem I am encountering is that it is critical for both players to fully understand what options they and their opponent have each round and so they have to be able to see the full descriptions of those actions which takes up considerable space.

Also, they need to be able to see what status effects they are under and have a good understanding of what those effects do which again is going to take up space. I could, of course, just make this all small text placed on the screen but aesthetically that looks like crap.

I am hoping once I actually start putting the "real" graphics in place things will look a lot less claustrophobic and I can somehow weave the HUD elements into the "theatre" theme or into the background itself. I don't see this as the kind of game very many people will be playing in full screen but I wanted some large, hand-drawn graphics so initially 800x600 was the happy medium resolution but I don't like how small (at least in this layout) it makes the character graphics. I am going to need to rework the layout (or consider changing the resolution). Feedback would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:19:53 PM by jwk5 » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »

What a genius way of doing animation! I really like the way that effect works out, and it's certainly going to be a lot nicer when it's a lot faster. This game sounds great, and I can't wait to play it!
jwk5
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »

What a genius way of doing animation! I really like the way that effect works out, and it's certainly going to be a lot nicer when it's a lot faster. This game sounds great, and I can't wait to play it!
Thanks a lot! Grin I am currently working on getting the engine done enough that I can put a little test demo together for people to try while we iron out the rest of the content. I've also been working on the character graphics while Tumetsu is hard at work on some awesome background images and JMickle is putting together some killer tunes. I think the game is going to have one hell of a presentation when it is done and some great game play to match!
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 04:22:51 AM »

Thanks a lot! Grin I am currently working on getting the engine done enough that I can put a little test demo together for people to try while we iron out the rest of the content. I've also been working on the character graphics while Tumetsu is hard at work on some awesome background images and JMickle is putting together some killer tunes. I think the game is going to have one hell of a presentation when it is done and some great game play to match!

Can't wait to try this! It looks awesome!

Man, why do they have to make such an awesome competition while I'm on college exams? T_T

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
jwk5
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »

Thanks! Smiley We've been working on it pretty much every day.

The game has actually gone through a lot of changes since we first started the project. We're hoping to have several cosplay/game character-themed teams of 3 and a different stage for each (though you can mix and match any characters from any team and play on any stage). The first team we are working on is a "furry"-themed team that has a medieval japan style to it (a swordsman wolf, a panda monk, and a cat ninja with dojo, temple, and bamboo thicket stages to go with them, courtesy of Tumetsu). JMickle is creating some nice background music for each of them as well.

The game play mechanics have been heavily streamlined and tightened with more emphasis on rewarding good opponent-reading. Each character will now have 3 attacks, 3 defenses, and one "ultra attack" (like in Street Fighter 4) that is triggered when a certain combo string is set up. How you build up your combo queue will greatly effect how your individual attacks and defenses behave (there is an almost puzzle game-like element to it) and breaking your opponent's combo queue (with a "perfect guard") is equally important to the strategy.

I've been putting together the engine in a manner will that loads everything but the core engine functions from external files so that characters, effects, stages, menu graphics, and so on are exposed and available for easy modding. Adding new characters, stages, and such will be as easy as creating the resources and then just dropping them in the appropriate folder. The game checks the folders at start up and then populates the character select, stage select, etc. screens based on what is available in the folders. I will create a little document file that will explain what is needed to create each type of resource and where you need to put them (and so on). Maybe it will give the project a life beyond the Versus compo.

We hope to release a demo after we've got this first team done (with all associated resources complete) but how soon that will be will depend on how long it will take to get everything ready (I'm optimistic it will be within a week given the speed we are working, but we'll see).

EDIT: I've discovered the net play for this game will be fairly easy to implement and given the nature of the game and the fact that it is turn-based lag is pretty much a non-issue. The data that is needed to be passed back and forth is pretty minimal. I may try to add in some kind of "chat" function but that is pretty low priority for the time being.

I really like how PSN and XBOX Live have "user profiles" that save individual settings and accomplishments so I will be doing roughly the same with this game. Your profile will save control schemes, last selected character and stage, how much total damage you've dished out, how many successful attacks and defenses you made, how often you've used which characters, etc., etc. It is not really too important in the grand scheme of things but it is still nice to provide that for the player.

In any case, suggestions, questions, and comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:05:44 AM by JWK5 » Logged
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »

Just finished final background lines for furry team, the shinto shrine themed one. You can see lineart here: http://i56.tinypic.com/qy91eb.png

Tomorrow I'll draw soe props for the backgrounds, which will be placed on the stage. For example for this background I have thought about maybe cherrytree or somekind statues. After that I'll start brainstorm and design the steampunk themed team. Right now  I have in mind a weird crazy genius in tophat with firearm staff and somekind of a robot.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »

Might be a little late to suggest this, but after seeing that background picture I was thinking that it could be cool if the image was 'flatter' (seen more from the side) with the props being cardboard cut-outs (it is a stage after all, it would seem to fit the theme and the way you are animating the characters).

Kinda like this, but more fitting the art-style you have in mind for the setting:

http://www.shindigz.com/party/Moonlight-Wolf-Standees.cfm

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic