Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:29:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMechanized
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mechanized  (Read 3519 times)
Dragonmaw
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »

Trapped inside an pocket dimension with a vast squadron of hateful machines, the few remaining pilots of the United Space Force’s 139th Mechanized Division fight an endless war against those they have been trapped with. Cursed with reconstructive nanomachines, they must fight and be destroyed, over and over and over, so that humanity can be safe. Only after they are done can they return to the worlds they agreed to protect. But with each death and rebirth, their hold on sanity and reality begins to slip. The darkness grows larger, and the march of endless death continues...

A VS dual-stick shooter reminiscent of

or CyberOn. More of a focus on accurate shooting than fighting game mechanics in a fully 2D space, though. Think Geometry Wars or Smash TV, but instead you are killing your buddies. Latest build can always be found at the end of the post

Suggestions for names are welcome.

REQUIRES XBOX 360 CONTROLLER

Planned features:

- Dual-stick moving and shooting for up to four players (locally)
- Dashing to build up bomb meter
- Multiple bullet patterns and bomb types
- Multiple characters, each with unique patterns

Potential features:

- Environmental hazards
- Gametypes (TDM, CTF, KOTH)

Future Features (when engine updates):

- Netplay
- Generic gamepad support

Latest build: Alpha 0.03
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:48:52 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »

Can't it be controlled with mouse & keyboard for at least one of the players? I only have one 360 gamepad here, how do you expect me to drag my sister out of her room and force her to play games with me like this?

Interesting concept though.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Dragonmaw
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »

Can't it be controlled with mouse & keyboard for at least one of the players? I only have one 360 gamepad here, how do you expect me to drag my sister out of her room and force her to play games with me like this?

Interesting concept though.

Might add mouse + keyboard control for first player only. That's for later, though. At the moment I'm focusing on getting features in, rather than compat.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »

Arena shooters are nice. Arena DEATHMATCHES... that is nicer.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »

Might have an artist!
Dragonmaw
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:27:20 AM »

Scratch that, DO have an artist. Here's a rough of the main character (easy character, default whatever).

Dashing, shot types, and multiple players are in.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:51:06 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »

Who is your artist? That's looking mighty fine.

Also, dashing? Sounds like battles could get pretty acrobatic.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »

Who is your artist? That's looking mighty fine.

Also, dashing? Sounds like battles could get pretty acrobatic.

Yeah.

Basically, holding down the dash button allows you to move faster for brief periods of time. While dashing, you gather bullets and add them to your bomb (super) meter. When the game enters playtesting I'm going to see what balance changes need to be made.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »

Is that Scott Pilgrim?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »

Haha. I suppose in that he has a fuzzy jacket and simple design, yeah! But no, it's not Scott Pilgrim.

Build in the first post has been updated. 1.5 hours of work so far and it's playable. Characters can now shoot (and kill) each other. Restarting isn't enabled yet, power-ups/bombs/dash clears are in, but not represented (just the underlying bits, rather).

First bar is health, second is dash, third is power (currently unused).
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »

This is a nameless shmup by Dragonmaw that doesn't actually exist. Last year, I went to church over 3 weekends. The first weekend, the sermon was on the power of belief. The priest spoke about how by believing in ourselves and in God, we would be able to overcome any obstacles in life. The second weekend, the sermon was on how everyone sins constantly, and the priest detailed many ways in which he sinned in his day to day life. He asked us to think about ways in which we have sinned in our day to day lives. The last weekend, the sermon was on how to better ourselves through Christ, by learning to accept that we would sin, and learning how to use Christ to augment our willpower in order to sin less. In the end, I learned that magic ghost spirits surrounded me, judging everything that I did, and that I could channel these spirits in order to become more favorable in their eyes.
3/10.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »

It looks like you accidentally pasted the youtube link a second time instead of a link to your Latest Build: Alpha 0.02.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »

It looks like you accidentally pasted the youtube link a second time instead of a link to your Latest Build: Alpha 0.02.

Weird. I didn't actually change the link at all. I just replaced the existing file on Dropbox.

Fixed. (Not like it matters, next build is almost ready)
eva
BANNED
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »

dragonmaw ur build link is a utube videohm now it changed how it change

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »

dragonmaw your game still has one major flaw, namely, not existing. What's the eta on having this problem fixed?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Dragonmaw
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »

dragonmaw your game still has one major flaw, namely, not existing. What's the eta on having this problem fixed?

Patch notes for Alpha 0.03:

- Game now exists
Dragonmaw
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

Next build up!

Increase power by holding A. Higher power means more/stronger shots. Dash through shots to add to bomb meter, store bombs! Currently bombs don't do anything.

Next plans: full patterns for first character, bombs.

Wouldn't mind suggestions. Dashing is currently a little overpowered, since it recharges so fast. Also don't know how to seriously incorporate power. Should it be a charging (hold a button, stay stationary)? Should there be random power-ups scattered around? Should you use bombs to gain power?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »

Oh look I'm going to necro another one of my threads and move it to Devlogs.

Game to work on when Gunshy tires me out, especially since I have been working on it recently. Current changes compared to existing build:

- Dash meter is now segmented into 3 parts. When you dash, you can't fire, but you move twice as fast and absorb bullets into yourself to make bombs. You can dash for about 2 seconds. If you break off the dash before it is finished, the appropriate dash segment is drained completely, but it begins to recharge immediately. If the dash expires, your dash meter won't recharge for a brief period of time.
- Power has been removed. Ships now only have two patterns and bombs. Power felt like needless complexity.

Might have another artist (this game has seriously had 4 artists, at this point I would love for a TIGS person to just fucking do it) to make the sprites. Won't be pixel art.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »

Today:

• Removed powering up (was unintuitive, generally not fun)
  • Halfway through altering the dashing system. dashing in chunks is now present, but dash regeneration and such has not been fixed

Future:

• Finish reworking dash system
  • Add in environmental hazards
Dragonmaw
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »

Today:

• Dashing rework has been finished. Regeneration is now on a cooldown depending on how long you dashed. Cutting off before the end of your dash drains the rest of your chunk but regenerates faster, whereas holding the dash for the full time causes a longer delay in regeneration.
  • Tweaked some movement logic

To-do:

• Environmental hazards need to be added
  • Build the front-end menu

Looks like I probably have a musician/sound guy. I went ahead and came up with starter text ala fighting games, but done in a goofy Engrish shmup style:

WARNING WARNING WARNING
ENEMY HAS APPROACHED AND
WANTS FIGHT! FUCK HIM UP!
SHOW YOUR TRUE ENERGY!
WARNING WARNING WARNING
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic