Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:16:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsVideo Design Tutorial: Presenting Perfect Puzzles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Video Design Tutorial: Presenting Perfect Puzzles  (Read 3513 times)
Brice
Level 0

Games are everywhere.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »

Hi everyone!  I thought I'd share the newest Game Design Tutorial video.  This one discusses how to fix one of the biggest problems with poorly designed puzzles: showing the player the problem first and THEN presenting them with the answer.

You can find the video here.

Enjoy! Feedback is always welcome!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »

Hello!

It's really cool and we need more good tutorial like this. Smiley
Good job!

Let me nitpick and maybe offer observation to improve them:

I would like to point that "bad Puzzle" like the one feature in the picture are still good tutorial. They are good at establishing relationship between gameplay element without a single word, but only if the designer create a barebone set up devoid of distraction.

Too often I play game with "good puzzle" but with bad tutorial and the player keep going in circle (me). Too often the designer think the solution is perfectly "obvious" but fail to understand that the player do not have a complete frame of the game when he start playing. Game are made of self containing conventions and those conventions need to be learn too, we are never sure which convention the game use and which carry on from previous work.

In your example,you assume the audience know how to play the game, it use platformer convention. But I wasn't sure that the character could jump nor the screen scroll, I wasn't sure the game if the game played as a top down vision or if it was a side scroller (especially with the small video capture of adventure of lolo). I didn't know the interaction, items can be picked but the character had no hand? I thought we had to pushed them! There was some kind of tension because by only looking I could not make those inference.

EDIT:
You should have linked your article too, a lot more in depth Tongue

Brice
Level 0

Games are everywhere.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »

Glad you liked the other article as well.  For everyone else: Here is the link to a more in depth article on game design for puzzles.

Great point, I thought about that as well while I was making it.  You can fall off either side of the horse.  If the player speeds through the key and door they might not figure it out.  A fine introductory puzzle would have been to put the key on the LEFT side of the door, so it would be trivial and explain the relationship, but still require thought.

Braid does this exactly:

And yes, the player would need to be taught somewhere else that they can run, jump, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic