Thanks for the encouragement! I fiddled with the player colors some more and I came up with something I'm pretty happy with. I still have to work on the level/item colors, though. I am thinking dark floors and light-colored walls and items to help them stand out. One problem I've finding is everything is just so small, it can hard to read. Especially with four people looking at one monitor.Progress Report #9
Dispite having just 2D HUD things to work on, I tried at first to put a mockup together in blender for the final scoreboard. I soon realized that wasn't going to work very well. So I gave that up and went to GIMP for the 2D stuff.
The first thing I tried was making a decal for the scoreboard. I had an idea for a "MOST KILLS" kind of award every round. So I looked up reference images
. Ok, how would I make that in GIMP? I had about 4 hours total experience in GIMP. So I found some tutorials. I was almost done with this one
(wondering why all the buttons got moved) before I realized it was for photoshop, not GIMP.
So, I ended up with this.
That was a good warm up, but I wasn't very happy with it so I tried the same technique again.
Ok, that felt better. But here I am working on the details before starting anything else. No sense adding bumper stickers before the plane can fly. So I put together a mockup of the scoreboard.
Something like that will work. So I went to look for some free fonts to use. Looking for reference images of the Casbah last week, I also found a lot of images with "Casbah" in different typefaces. So I had an idea of what I was looking for. First I found this
Which was really good but what else could we find? Then I got really lucky and found slugfest
on 1001fonts's "Font of the Moment."
This looked great, but would it work in the game? I plugged it in and found it really transformed look. It's amazing the difference a font can make! I ended up changing all the menu buttons and adding more buttons and menus just to show off the font. Before I knew it, I had a first draft of the new main menu.
But I still had to do the scoreboard. So I put together another mockup using the new beautiful font.
In order to keep the look consistent with the rest of the menus, and because I thought it would be easier, I implemented the scoreboard using Unity's GUI system. Once you get GUIStyles and GUISkins down, it's pretty simple.
It still needs some tweaking. Maybe moving the coin further left or to where it was in the first mockup. But I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. Overall it was a lot of fun working on the GUI system -- fiddling with the layout, adding little things like confirmations and submenus.For the last week:
Proper item models.
Finalize level model.
In-game instructions / How To Play.
Revamp effects system.
There's not many people in the world with the time and interest in giving a thoughtful critic to a stranger's incomplete student-film-quality video game, but if anyone has advice on finding and encouraging these exceptional creatures, let me know!
Only one progress report left.. and then RELEASE! See you there.