Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:10:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 209919 times)
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: March 08, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »

Free-form 2D terrain, part of our Oni Engine.

Video:

Demo: http://oniworks.co.uk/oniengine/terraindemo/

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: March 08, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »

Wasted way too much time just to see if I could make light shafts and patches of shadow with polygons. It looks half decent, in my defense.

Conker534
« Reply #1082 on: March 08, 2014, 11:18:22 PM »

Free-form 2D terrain, part of our Oni Engine.

Video:

Demo: http://oniworks.co.uk/oniengine/terraindemo/

Thats hot
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1083 on: March 09, 2014, 02:56:33 AM »

That's awesome, but it needs some solution for the rightmost grass tile. If your end piece mirrored the height of the repeating tile, you could always find a cropping where the two joined up.
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: March 09, 2014, 06:06:04 AM »

Thats hot

Thanking you  Waaagh!

That's awesome, but it needs some solution for the rightmost grass tile. If your end piece mirrored the height of the repeating tile, you could always find a cropping where the two joined up.

Yeah, solutions like that will be developed when we get our own graphics in. It's all trial and error really, which is why it took so long to get it to this point. But we'll definitely look into it. Using graphics sourced online makes it difficult to make it look perfect, but it's a start!

Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: March 09, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »

Collision detection! Crazy

Yay me

Secretly I already fixed it!
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 10, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »

Finishing up my entry for the cyberpunk gamejam using Haxe/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel.

I am really liking this language, all the major things that made actionscript really annoying are addressed.

It has a couple interesting language feature implementations. Like enums and switch statements. Switches don't use break statements or defaults. If you don't cover every case of an enum in a switch statement then it's a compile time error.

It has a pretty nice way to declaring a function pointer type so that it's signature is typed but it doesn't necessarily have a type like a c# delegate. So a return void, no parameter type would be defined as Void->Void. If you have multiple parameters you chain the arrow operator (Void->Int->Float).

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: March 10, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »

Finishing up my entry for the cyberpunk gamejam using Haxe/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying and being productive using Haxe. I switched over to Unity a year or two ago, but before that I was pretty deep into Haxe development. I had a pretty good time working with the language and the C++ exporter. It combined some of my favorite AS3 features with a bit more strict, structured typing. And the C++ exporter made it possible for me to get my projects running fairly well on mobile devices, as well as compiled for desktop platforms.

I switched over to Unity thanks to the mobile versions being added to the free license. At the time, Haxe's features weren't as well supported across multiple platforms. How is it looking now? It's been a while since I've checked in on that scene.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 10, 2014, 03:10:11 PM »

Actually I tried Haxe about 1 year to 18 months ago and hated it. I couldnt get anything working.

Now that they have stuff like the haxelib commandline tool for getting libraries (similar to nuget or aptget etc) things are a lot easier. It's about 4 commands to get all the libraries installed and a template haxe project generated.

Compared to a year ago it's a huge difference. Hopefully that trend continues. Flixel has a special place in my heart Smiley

internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 10, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

Just got the first part of the dungeon generator working for my 7DRL project; forgot how much I love binary trees. Grin

Also picked up the 16-bit fantasy sprite set from oryx yesterday, which is very exciting -- in addition to being gorgeous, I can load them without even trimming out what I'm not using in less than half a meg of RAM.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 10, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »

Just got the first part of the dungeon generator working for my 7DRL project; forgot how much I love binary trees. Grin

Also picked up the 16-bit fantasy sprite set from oryx yesterday, which is very exciting -- in addition to being gorgeous, I can load them without even trimming out what I'm not using in less than half a meg of RAM.

nice. I'm trying to squeeze in the procedural death jam if I can.

What are you developing your entry with?

internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »

nice. I'm trying to squeeze in the procedural death jam if I can.

What are you developing your entry with?

It's for Android, so I'm using Eclipse (bleh). Not using any libraries; libGDX seems cool, but I already know the native Canvas 2D underpinnings well enough, and learning a framework for this one seems like overkill (not to mention something the deadline wouldn't really allow).

Procedural death jam looks interesting... hell, just reading about the genre is interesting.

Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »

Oh man, Procedural Death Jam looks awesome. Unfortunately, I'm just now seeing this, and I'm already working on something. My current project could fit in (With a few minor tweaks), but I'm sure not going to rush to the end of it just to get it in...

I'd love to do one of these game jams, but I'm always in the middle of a project... Oh well. Maybe someday.

Check out my devlog!
Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: March 11, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »

Oh man, Procedural Death Jam looks awesome. Unfortunately, I'm just now seeing this, and I'm already working on something. My current project could fit in (With a few minor tweaks), but I'm sure not going to rush to the end of it just to get it in...

I'd love to do one of these game jams, but I'm always in the middle of a project... Oh well. Maybe someday.

Agreed, it does look awesome but I am in the same position as you (or well, my current project wouldn't fit) - I'm in the middle/beginning of a project and it is progressing nicely. Don't want to break the flow. Then again, a jam now and then might be a good way to avoid project death/infinite hold.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: March 11, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »

Coding an input-select screen like Jamestown's. Amazing how those guys got everything right!

Working on HeliBrawl
Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »

Some stupidly easy stuff for uni assignment. yuck!

RyanPridgeon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1096 on: March 12, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »

Currently developing an algorithm for drawing a field-of-view kinda fog for my game. I tried it by just raycasting in all directions but the results weren't too great;

Trying to write a method now which keeps track of corners in the map geometry and uses the nearby corners to draw the fog shape...  WTF

Triangle - My solo project, a top down adventure!<br /><br />Reinventing the wheel is fun, dammit.
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1097 on: March 12, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

Currently developing an algorithm for drawing a field-of-view kinda fog for my game. I tried it by just raycasting in all directions but the results weren't too great;

Trying to write a method now which keeps track of corners in the map geometry and uses the nearby corners to draw the fog shape...  WTF

Dude, follow this amazing tutorial:

http://www.catalinzima.com/2010/07/my-technique-for-the-shader-based-dynamic-2d-shadows/

It's for XNA, but you can adapt it.

RyanPridgeon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1098 on: March 12, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »

Dude, follow this amazing tutorial:

http://www.catalinzima.com/2010/07/my-technique-for-the-shader-based-dynamic-2d-shadows/

It's for XNA, but you can adapt it.

Thanks! But unfortunately that tutorial seems to use a shader-based approach using buffers/images to generate the shadows. I'm working with Flash/AS3 so I dont think it would be as suitable?

I'm working on a method that draws a black vector shape for the shadow/fog which should work nicely, as Flash seems to play nice with vectors graphics.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong?

Edit:

So far got it automatically detecting where the corners are in the map geometry. Going to try and use these to draw the fog as a black vector shape between these corners.

http://i.imgur.com/EUx2l8s.png
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:38:38 PM by RyanPridgeon » Logged

Triangle - My solo project, a top down adventure!<br /><br />Reinventing the wheel is fun, dammit.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1099 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

Now that they have stuff like the haxelib commandline tool for getting libraries (similar to nuget or aptget etc) things are a lot easier.

I gave Haxe a spin before and after haxelib was integrated. It's night and day as far as setup is concerned. Haxelib made the entire setup process a breeze, I could get things set up and running in minutes. Throw in FlashDevelop as the IDE and you're looking at a pretty capable development system.

It's good to see that HaxeFlixel is still kicking. I love the new website they put up, much slicker than what they used to have. Flixel was one of my first game engines, and I actually used it to produce my first finished game. I learned a ton about game coding just from poking around in Flixel. I'm still sticking to Unity for now, they did a pretty good job with the new 2D tools. But it does my heart good to see Flixel still getting some solid support through Haxe. (and OpenFL)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic