Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:54:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 210161 times)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: July 05, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »

I made a tiny little API to POST/GRAB data in lovely JSON. Now I'm working on a server side script.
On linux and OSX you can simply set a callback for when an event interface is added or removed and only scan for new gamepads then (through inotify), I'd assume windows has similar functionality somewhere.

-Fuzzy Spider
poohshoes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: July 05, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »

Just in case you need another example to reference, I've written an open-source gamepad library here. Feel free to copy any portions of it that might help. It uses the same strategy for discovery as you described, in that it detects once at initialization, and the client code can call the detect function (Gamepad_detectDevices()) as often as it likes. I'd be interested to hear if you come up with any improvements to this pattern!

Thanks for the code ThemsAllTook.  For other devices OpenTK refreshes them automatically so I just want to get it to refresh the joysticks the same way.  Though I have yet to actually figure out the mechanism for it, and I'm starting to wonder if the mechanism works but the refresh code is failing in some other way.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 06, 2014, 12:13:07 AM »

I made a tiny little API to POST/GRAB data in lovely JSON. Now I'm working on a server side script.
On linux and OSX you can simply set a callback for when an event interface is added or removed and only scan for new gamepads then (through inotify), I'd assume windows has similar functionality somewhere.

Hehe, I should have made myself clear. *Server* Data. Think of a server listing that allows people to join other servers that are currently being hosted. Currently storing everything. Praise the SQL compact database.
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 06, 2014, 01:32:25 AM »

Hehe, I should have made myself clear.

I think (judging from the comment about scanning for new gamepads) that Raptor85 actually meant to reply to poohshoes, and mistakenly quoted your message instead...
Schilcote
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 06, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

I've been working on a system to procedurally generate maps based on learned data from human-generated maps. Along the way, I created the Maidentron.

the hands that threaten doom with madness the name of season blackened pride still remains to know i wish i haven't a new star is freedom's stain don't say you'll pay for my life to wonder to live her now for groan with the still remains to my family to midnight to golden goose is born space i'm drifting way like lead into a thing at all night midnight midnight to unlock this bad luck on the ground warms to midnight to teach god's name hoping any second now the nightmare carries on and the fog and laughed at the wings the final frontier if the tale wherever he flies on so clear we oil the fog clears they justify him and me now nothing's left here i'm free give me said can be if i have no regrets but they lived my call please get throughi am here i'm drifting way like an eagle fly fly as the land of his neck the mariner's bound to teach god's word by good life reliving the prophet looked at me said you're too blind too then he fixed me must say my soul anymore 2 minutes to read them to station #5 see

I'll give an executable or python script to whoever wants it.
poohshoes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1185 on: July 07, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »

Thanks Raptor 85, I think I'm getting closer to the issue.  It seems that an exception is getting thrown and then it ignores the rest of the code.

Robotwo
Level 2

I'm a complicated being after all

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:59 AM »

Working on a top-down wave shooter for gameboy.
Gotta' say my z80 programming is pretty rusty as some of these routines could've been executed way more elegantly  Epileptic

Pretty content with what I've got so far c:
Especially the bootup sequence ^^

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:47:11 PM by Robotwo » Logged

What we are is simply a stepping stone to what we can become
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: July 11, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »

Just did this:

It's an editor for our skill trees. You can select a node and changes the settings. Larger nodes are actually or-branches with 3 skills for each branch. It took exactly 8 hours to do this. A whole new editor. We have a pretty slick API to create editors. HTML + JavaScript is really awesome when it comes to creating editor and making reusable components.

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 12, 2014, 04:19:11 AM »

Working on a gun system for a platformer game  Hand Any Key

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: July 12, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »

I've started a new game project, and I'm documenting every step of it on YouTube for all to see. If anyone is curious: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBk6-z6v3pDIe-kale12SSTlRJNYZ9R5l

8BitPimp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1190 on: July 17, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »

I'm starting to get into Love2D for rapid prototyping.
Just knocked up some roguelike movement system and an old schooly CRT shader.
Fun fun.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: July 17, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »

right now, Recreating most of youtube for a documentation centric site

I wish I could show a screenshot of my editor, but I'd be violating my Contractual Obligations

so instead, heres a screenshot of the last thing my Sublime saw regarding my game project Corrode

EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 18, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »

Finished diffuse, specular, ambient and emissive maps implementation:

Check out our thread for Boltus
Go Go Goto
Level 0

Aspirin Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 19, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »

Rebuilding Dave Bollinger's Pixel Spaceships in PHP, Haxe/OpenFl, ActionScript3, Javascript/HTML5 Canvas and Processing, and (trying to) fully comment it. Tongue

The output looks just like this:

Named my version InfiniShip (couldn't think of a better name...Embarrassed).

Did it as an exercise in programming (because I'm really BAD at it). Will share my code in a few minutes/hours for anybody who might want it. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:45:41 AM by Go Go Goto » Logged

Meat Flavored Fluffy Omelette! :D
husainhz7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 20, 2014, 06:38:04 AM »

Currently working on particle effects in libgdx. But First Person movement was a pain to make.   Tired
Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

Never, but question engineer's judgement

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: July 21, 2014, 02:31:05 AM »

Finished the core and most difficoult part of my first puzzle game, and now I'm working on the "collateral" aspects of the game (random events, bonuses, etc).

I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
DoProgramming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 21, 2014, 07:25:18 AM »

I'm working on a joystick for the iOS platform with camera rotation and player rotation for each stick.  Cry

Moon Goon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:42 AM »

Just finished the final debugging of a 2k game for the Atari 2600
http://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/63/

2k Atari 2600 games are a challenge within a challenge.  You could compare it to writing a haiku with only three letter words.  The original Pac-Man was twice the size and desperately needed more to compare favorably with its arcade counterpart.  In short, on a system with extremely limited resources, this is the most limited any commercial game attempted.

Tornado Blast uses a stripped down batari BASIC kernel modified by Atarius Maximus for his own 2k game "Gate Racer".  By experimenting with what features were still available I determined a straightforward driving/avoidance game was possible.  I used playfield "blocks" as the main obstacles (i.e. debris and road boundaries).

The tornado sprite is actually a trick to save space.  It's actually the lower part of the S and T from the title screen graphic.  Using the same graphic is an age old technique that can be seen even in more modern games like Goldeneye for the N64.  In that game the trigger sight texture is also used in the wooden barrel graphic.

The Atari 2600 hardware provides different sizes, colors and horizontal copies of sprites virtually for free.  All this combines for many, many different enemy truck types.

Sound is produced by two similar routines that alter their character by how long they are run.  By combining one or two of these and varying the length we get explosions, laser blasts and other sound effects.

As you can tell developing in 2k  is more about what clever strategies you can make a game out of.  This differs from coming up with a game first and using clever strategies in service of a concept.  This is how most developers approached the 2600 in its hayday - figure out a neat trick and wrap a game around it!

I'm a PEEK'er. I'm a POKE'er. And I'm a midnight coder. I type my programs and hit RUN.

Check out itch.io for my Atari 2600 game ROMs! http://theloon.itch.io/
MorleyDev
Level 0

"It is not enough for it to just work"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:38 AM »

Working through some Katas, I think I've come up with the most needlessly recursive Roman Numerals Decoder:
Code: (scala)
def detokenise(numerals : String) : Seq[Int] = numerals.map(_ match {
    case 'I' => 1
    case 'V' => 5
    case 'X' => 10
    case 'L' => 50
    case 'C' => 100
    case 'D' => 500
    case 'M' => 1000
    case _ => throw new Error("")
})

def calculate(values : Seq[Int]) : Int =
    if (values.size == 0)
    else if (values.size == 1)
        values.head
    else {
        val max = values.max
        val pre = values.takeWhile(_ != max)
        val post = values.dropWhile(_ != max).drop(1)
        max - calculate(pre) + calculate(post)
    }

def romanToInt(numerals : String) = calculate(detokenise(numerals))

val testPairs = Seq((1,"I"),
      (2,"II"),
      (4,"IV"),
      (5,"V"),
      (9,"IX"),
      (10,"X"),
      (900,"CM"),
      (1000,"M"),
      (3497,"MMMCDXCVII"))

testPairs.foreach(a => {
    val actualResult = romanToInt(a._2)
    println("%s: Expected: %s, Actual: %s".format(a._2, a._1, actualResult))
    assert(a._1 == actualResult)
})

Turns out you can replace the calculate with
Code: (scala)
def calculate(values : Seq[Int]) : Int = 
    values.foldRight((0, 0))((currentValue : Int, previousAndTotal : (Int,Int)) =>
        if (previousAndTotal._1 > currentValue)
            (currentValue, previousAndTotal._2 - currentValue)
        else
            (currentValue, previousAndTotal._2 + currentValue)
    )._2

Or even just implement it as a reverse for-loop. Oops...Well, wouldn't be too bad if the first solution wasn't based on the pseudocode I came up with during an interview earlier today. Not even trying to 'show off how I can do recursion' or anything, that first one is just the in-code version of how I did the calculations in my head.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »

It's web stuff, but writing a YouTube v3 API interface service with Guzzle3 Service Descriptions for reusable cross-project purposes as private Symfony2 bundles managed with Composer.

Only to be hit with an SSL certificate error WTF

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic