Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:28:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 210163 times)
HDSanctum
« Reply #1240 on: August 13, 2014, 05:02:18 AM »

Working on some backend server code, using nodejs and other goodies. Finally seeing over the hill of immediate security concerns.
RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1241 on: August 13, 2014, 06:31:59 AM »

This isn't so much game dev related, but I've been working on a new website and taking what I think is a more modern approach to my previous one which consisted of JSPs, HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript (no libraries). The learning curve is steep, and has involved familiarising myself, within the last few days, with the following:

node.js
npm
bower
angularJS
grunt
bootstrap

And I'm about to learn Sass, and possibly JQuery... and possibly GSAP also.

It's all very easy, but there's just so much of it  Waaagh!

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: August 13, 2014, 07:57:49 AM »

Got the very base mechanics of a snake+sokoban game down

Not sure why the eyes change colour in the gif

lobstersteve
« Reply #1243 on: August 13, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »

Walljumping off moving platforms Smiley

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: August 13, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »

Got simple view movement and robust hex selection working.

http://webmup.com/zQyCa/

Basically, I treat the hex grid as a grid of staggered rectangles to make a simple approximation.  Then, I check for intersection with the triangles that are actually part of another hex.

It's not set up identically to this image (my coordinate system is different) but it's the right idea.

TIGForums should really allow WebMs.  They're clearer and more compressed than GIFs.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: August 13, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »

I agree. Less bloat and more+beautiful slick-looking imagery
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »

Got simple view movement and robust hex selection working.

http://webmup.com/zQyCa/

Basically, I treat the hex grid as a grid of staggered rectangles to make a simple approximation.  Then, I check for intersection with the triangles that are actually part of another hex.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/TWfvy.png

It's not set up identically to this image (my coordinate system is different) but it's the right idea.
Oooh, I like that.

TIGForums should really allow WebMs.  They're clearer and more compressed than GIFs.
Yep. And YouTube embeds.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 14, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »

Changed the view movement to a mouse drag, added some better placeholders, and made a nice parallax view system.

http://webmup.com/gkZRK

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
AidenBainsGames
Level 0

Terrance the Flying Eyeball is complete!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1248 on: August 15, 2014, 04:34:18 AM »

Working on the menu code in C#.
Pretty simple stuff, but it being the first screen of the game it deserves the highest level of polish.

Click Here to Play a Game about a Flying Eyeball            
poohshoes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1249 on: August 15, 2014, 05:29:18 AM »

This week I put a content loading system into the game. We were loading textures willy nilly when we needed them. And there are tons of places that call loading. I managed to corral a large portion of the texture loading into two functions, one when the game loads to keep in memory until the game exits, and another that loads textures just for one level. These functions run after a loading screen has been drawn so it's not just back. Also the most important part is a log file that tells me about content that wasn't loaded during one of these two functions, as I can use it to discover where more corralling needs to be done.

I wish I had started the project with a proper system for this as I think it would have been less work and probably cleaner.

The next step is to make the loading asynchronous and then have a small level that can exist during the loading screen, and then have a door open when the level has been loaded. The idea is to mask the loading between levels with a small "elevator" level. I guess the elevator textures will be loaded globally so we can jump back and forth.

One strange issue with XNA/Monogame is that you have to load content into batches, and can only unload entire batches, so if level 1 and level 2 share any content there is no way to just keep the overlapping textures in memory, I am unloading all of level 1 and then loading all of level 2. This could be solved by having one batch object for each piece of content loaded, it's a lot of overhead but it might be worth a test.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: August 15, 2014, 05:35:46 AM »

One of the lessons many game programmers will have to learn the hard way... I'm glad it's been years since I had to do so.

MorleyDev
Level 0

"It is not enough for it to just work"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1251 on: August 15, 2014, 06:08:12 AM »

Jesus, it's been awhile since I did anything serious in XNA. Played around with MonoGame for a uni coursework but decided to use something I hadn't used before. I do remember seeing a lot of trickery being done with ContentManager back when XNA was newish, I think one of the XNA example projects even overloaded it to allow unloading of individual assets.

Just trying out the new CLion EAP from JetBrains. The C++ IDE they offer is still in early access alpha state, but it's already impressive and become my go-to IDE for C++.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:21:47 AM by MorleyDev » Logged

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1252 on: August 15, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »

Just finished the skeleton/basics of a C++ value-semantic type-erased (very extensible) steering behaviour system and just totally HACKED IT into the camera movements (which already had control code) just to have some fun:

It's not the end result I want but the bouncing cameara was so fun I recorded it.

Tommorrow I'll have to figure out how to write tests for this steering behaviour system. I'm tired just by thinking about it.

PicklesIIDX
Level 0

Follow your heart!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1253 on: August 16, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »

Just got the replay system in my game fully functional with chapter skipping!! I kept encountering little issues where a few variables wouldn't be set correctly, causing hard to find issues in collisions down the line. The last one was making it so that my input commands didn't continue playback after pausing the state, which I hadn't noticed due to updating the controller at the end of my loop. Now I can have a replay system that supports deterministic playback, pausing, slowdown, fast forwarding, skipping ahead and jumping behind. The only thing it doesn't support is realtime rewind. After the combined weeks I've put into this though, I'm okay with that.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 18, 2014, 02:13:22 AM »

Walljumping off moving platforms Smiley

http://i.imgur.com/sPmA0Ws.gif
Woah, I missed this one before. That looks so nice and slick!

Enhex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: August 20, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »

Working on a 3D BSP-like level editor.
Currently working on the selection tool.
I achieved shape highlighting by adding and removing another pass to the material that tints it red.

I still need to:
- Outline the shape in the 3D view.
- Highlight the shape's outline in the grid views.
- Perform polygon level raycasting instead of bounding box level in the 3D view.
- Make the grid's outline selectable, with 2 pixels padding for each edge, and an "x" at the center of the bounding box.
- Make the selection movable and have resize/rotate modes.

Last video:

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1256 on: August 21, 2014, 04:33:51 AM »

Polishing last details of an AIR extension for Windows joysticks.

Working on HeliBrawl
Adam_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1257 on: August 21, 2014, 04:52:41 AM »

Tweaking the user interface of Duality's NuGet-powered Package Management system:

Namely adding a convenient "Update All" button at the bottom and preventing the ComboBox from stealing focus all the time. No ComboBox, you're not more important than the actual list of packages.

Have I mentioned that NuGet is awesome? Sure, it may have its issues, but I had never imagined to have a real Package Management system up and running so fast. NuGet Core does most of the actual management grunt work and appears to be doing it really well. Integrating with the rest of Duality and building a neat user interface was most of the actual work on my side.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 31, 2014, 11:44:11 AM »

Fine-tuning and tinkering with this section of a puzzle (the first one we're making, in fact – it's a recent project) in a game that my girlfriend and I are making. Mostly adding more animation states and the like to make it feel more lively ATM. Some more to be added. The dust on impact is a funny touch. Not to mention the books with physics applied to them, moving sexily on the bookshelves.

Before today, this was the latest GIF, so a lot has been done!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:45:55 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1259 on: August 31, 2014, 11:58:13 AM »

So hawt! Well, hello there!

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic