Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:19:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 209030 times)
Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: September 22, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »

2D platformer 'physics' in Unity. Was ages ago I did a platformer game, and I never tried to do it Unity (nor with  a 'real' physics engine). Tried using Unity's Phsyics2D/Box2D system but I keep getting into errors, so now I am doing it with the normal/3D physics... Or rather, I abandoned that idea as well and now I am trying to roll my own 2D platformer physics within Unity's 3D physics system.

I had the same problem some time ago and I think Unity's physics aren't very nice for player movement in platform games. I ended up making a custom script that uses raycasts to check for collisions.

Yeah, after quite a bit of tinkering I decided to go that way too. Although I am still not using Unity's 2D physics - it is bugging (me) out.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1281 on: September 22, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »

Refactoring a lot of lose arrays and whatnots, all around different files, into structured configuration objects:

re: padding and those constants... I stand by them! So come get some! Hand Metal LeftWell, hello there! Hand Metal Right

Working on HeliBrawl
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 22, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »

Trying to architect a purely declarative system for data-driving my game.

I've pretty much settled on a system based on rules, which allows me to describe both the attributes and behaviours of objects.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: September 22, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »

I've been poking around the new Unity 4.6 Beta and bringing myself up to speed on the new UI features. Loving it so far. For people already familiar with more in-depth solutions like NGUI it will probably seem remedial. But for coders like me who have been roughing it with the legacy system it is a breath of fresh air.

It is much more based around objects now, so be prepared for your hierarchy to swell a tad when constructing more complex UIs. And if you want to recycle UIs across scenes it might be a good idea to create all your GUI elements in one scene and set them to persist. But constructing GUIs in a visual space and testing them quickly and effectively just got a whole hell of a lot easier.
mildspring
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: October 12, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »

I'm adding Halloween theme to my game.  Right now working out npc algorithm in my head.

http://www.mildspring.com - making mobile games
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: October 12, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »

Refactoring  Waaagh!Hand Any Key
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: October 12, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »

This new Unity UI stuff is saving me a hell of a lot of work. A bit annoying to begin with, but already able to poke values into button calls and got a masked scrolly window thing. I might actually be editing levels pretty soon.  Tears of Joy
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: October 12, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »

just finished polishing up an old demo(?)

the stars are 40-400m from the ground :D

Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: October 12, 2014, 05:10:21 PM »

I've been writing a platforming engine in GM:S using my own set of speed variables instead of the build in ones, and its kinda working but kinda not and I don't know how to fix it and its driving me up the wall  Angry

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: October 12, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »

Trying to find an error in water ordering servlet of an on-demand irrigation portal. It's way more boring than you might think.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: October 13, 2014, 04:13:19 AM »

Working on my data-driven cross-platform input system.

Basically, there are three main components.  There's the "platform" subsystem that's in charge of abstracting away the disparities between PC, consoles, etc.  Currently there's only a SDL2 back end but it should be easy to write new ones for whatever platforms I want to target.  I also have a data file (formatted with S-expressions) that defines all the different controls by name and the devices/buttons/axes that they're mapped to.  The platform is in charge of sending button press/release events and axis values to the "input" subsystem, which then provides a high-level interface for translating this raw data (using the definitions in the data file) into simple queries keyed by the control names.

So far, I've got keyboard and mouse input (both absolute and relative) working.  I don't have a controller right now so unfortunately that's going to have to wait.  In any case, I still need to implement a mouse wheel axis as well as being able to map an axis threshold (i.e. if this trigger is 80% pressed or more, shoot).

EDIT:
And those features are done.  The bonus is that the axis mapping and ranging forced me to implement a more fully-featured number parsing procedure.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:33:28 AM by Boreal » Logged

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: October 13, 2014, 05:39:59 AM »

Working on my data-driven cross-platform input system.

Basically, there are three main components.  There's the "platform" subsystem that's in charge of abstracting away the disparities between PC, consoles, etc.  Currently there's only a SDL2 back end but it should be easy to write new ones for whatever platforms I want to target.  I also have a data file (formatted with S-expressions) that defines all the different controls by name and the devices/buttons/axes that they're mapped to.  The platform is in charge of sending button press/release events and axis values to the "input" subsystem, which then provides a high-level interface for translating this raw data (using the definitions in the data file) into simple queries keyed by the control names.

So far, I've got keyboard and mouse input (both absolute and relative) working.  I don't have a controller right now so unfortunately that's going to have to wait.  In any case, I still need to implement a mouse wheel axis as well as being able to map an axis threshold (i.e. if this trigger is 80% pressed or more, shoot).

EDIT:
And those features are done.  The bonus is that the axis mapping and ranging forced me to implement a more fully-featured number parsing procedure.

Cool! I wrote something kind of like this recently. Source is here in case you find something useful in it: http://ludobloom.com/svn/StemLibProjects/inputcontroller/trunk/source/inputcontroller/

One additional feature in my system is recording and playback of input events. If your simulation is deterministic and runs in fixed interval steps, it's fairly trivial to implement storage and replay, which comes in handy for debugging and recording gameplay video footage.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 13, 2014, 06:27:29 AM »

Working on a grapple system in GM:S that doesn't rely on its physics/box2d.

Box2d is great for a lot of things, and there are a lot of rope examples using joints and such. I wasn't satisfied with them. Seems there was real no way to make them not springy. And the rope joints would get snagged on collisions and even phase through them if enough force was applied, even with a "max length" limiter on the joints.

So, I'm starting with straight lines for now. Shoot line from player to collision and attach. That's easy. A bit harder will by swinging with it and making sure the player's movement physics play nicely when on the rope. I want to make the tight rope "bump" into other objects/platforms, where it is immediately divided into two lines, with the top one still tight, and the new "swivel" point is where it bumped up against.

Eventually, I'd like to give the illusion of slackness and swingyness just through sprite animation. The rope itself could be a straight line with breathing room on either side. The sprite is stretched to the length of the desired rope, and any swinginess/twang is done by playing around with the sprites different frames. When the player tosses the rope, I can so a cool lasso animation, too.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: October 13, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »

Rearranging one of the menus in my game into two pages because I ran out of space ~_~; (why do video settings always take up so much space?)
diegocbarboza
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:30 AM »

Just finished a police chase mode in our game. Now, back to bug fixing Coffee

Snowstorm
Level 0

It's supposed to be pixel art, but whatever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1295 on: October 14, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »

I'm have two projects in Game Maker that I'm working on at the moment. The first is a platform game where you propel yourself with a shotgun to solve mazes. I have basic physics and the core mechanic implemented but I have no idea where to take it, so I may put it in 'the vault' as an unfinished prototype.

The second game I'm working on is an open-world top-down survival game. Instead of making a 3D game I decided to use a script for "fake 2D," a video demonstration found here:

. I haven't worked on it in a few days so I have to see what still needs to be done.

Craig
Snowstorm
JoshuaSmyth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1296 on: October 23, 2014, 01:21:24 AM »

Custom Scripting Language integration and Game API for my RPG - Druids of Gemini.

It's nice to be able to finally put together dialog and trigger events and such - It's almost like it's becoming a proper game.
Writing a custom scripting language was one of the more challenging parts of the project, but I feel it was a great learning experience and is turning out quite well.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: October 23, 2014, 01:57:04 AM »

Just finished programming a wood store

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW