Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:07:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 209037 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »

Sort of an analogue to the happy and grumpy programmer rooms, this thread is for short little posts about what you're currently coding, especially if it hasn't yet made you grumpy or happy. Maybe others can pop suggestions or wish you luck, either way sometimes it just helps to say what you're doing and you might see a new solution.

==========

currently creating a file dependency database to make multithreaded preloading for my game a reality. Using a text-based file this time.
bequick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »

I'm a begginer in c++ and trying to build a TD type game....currently making an asset manager trying to asociate the string to an Image object using the map function in STL kind od having a hard time, never used map before Smiley
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »

currently working on player name input in as3, and reading data from facebook into flash via javascript.

made me very grumpy but happy at the same time

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:48:23 PM »

Im trying to get a blinn-phong specular shader working, while satisfying my own need to use as few uniforms as possible

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »

ran my game with file dependency profiling on:
result (small portion of it since its a huge file actually) (spr files depend on one or more ani filed in separate entries, ani files depend on one or more png files, also in separate entries, lvl files depend on everything)
Code:
+forest/10.lvl
FOREST/terrain_forest_3_01.spr
FOREST/terrain_forest_3_02.spr
ball.spr
camicon.spr
forest/bg_flowers.spr
forest/cone_shrooms.spr
forest/glyph.spr
forest/hanging_plant_arm.spr
forest/tree_curly.spr
silvermoth.spr
-
+forest/4.lvl
lightswitch.spr
-
+forest/5.lvl
FOREST/terrain_forest_mushroom_01.spr
FOREST/terrain_forest_mushroom_02.spr
camicon.spr
forest/bg_forest_mushroom_1.spr
forest/bg_forest_mushroom_2.spr
forest/eyeballs_flower.spr
forest/light_stem.spr
forest/loop_flower_1.spr
forest/loop_flower_2.spr
forest/pirhana_plant.spr
forest/pirhana_tongue.spr
forest/spider_flower_1.spr
forest/spider_flower_2.spr
forest/squid_critter.spr
forest/wire_grass.spr
pedestal.spr
-

seems to work a-ok
(text-editable so I can add any outlier files it may have missed)

now i can use this to preload files on a separate thread without worrying about decoding them right away too

dependency profiler worked by putting calls to "logFile" and "beginLoad" and "endLoad" in all my file decode functions
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:20:45 PM by Glaiel-Gamer » Logged
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »

It's not strictly programming, but I'm writing an SDRAM interface in verilog. There is lots of potential here for all kinds of emotions, but so far things have gone smoothly.
HyperNexus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »

I'm just touching up some code that I finished yesterday on tweening in my C++ framework. The tweening works just like tweening in Flash except its frame rate independent and you have greater control over easing. I'm very pleased with how it turned it.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »

CoffeeScript-based HTML5 game engine.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »

Writing a simple TGA loader, which also entails getting my file IO API in order for my new cross-platform game engine.
kefka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »

Currently trying to build SFML2 for MinGW...which is actually just installing a ton of software and not so much coding >_<
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »

I'm currently implementing a package system for my game.

StudioFortress
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:55 AM »

I am revisting a Java library I build for loading classes from within a class loader. It makes it simple to load certain classes in a parent class loader ensuring the class is only loaded once. This is needed if those libraries interact with a native library (if you try to load a native library more then once within a Java application it crashes).

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 05:51:16 AM »

Heavily modifying this shadow-casting algorithm to be usable for my game where it's not blocked tiles casting shadows but walls between the tiles. Also trying to get the edges of a shadow to be slightly graduated instead of the hard edges generated by the algorithm. I'm sorta going back and forth between the happy and grumpy programmer room with this...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »

It looks like the screen only displays a very small view of the overall map. Can't you use a much simplified pathfinding routine for NPCs outside of the viewing area? If the map is all city blocks, it shouldn't require much CPU to calculate a path from one spot to another if it doesn't have to look like intelligent behavior (when it's beyond the viewing area)? It almost seems like you could use a simple "if NPC.X > Player.X: dec(NPC.X)" thing as long as the NPC is at a certain distance from the player (and then just wall hug if the NPC bumps into a wall)? Then switch to A* (or whatever you're using) when the NPC gets close enough to the player (or within the viewing area).

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »

It's also important to remember that although a lot of people use A* on grids, it's a algorithm for finding the shortest path within a graph. If you have a lot of large open areas you can make that graph a lot lot smaller. Instead of having one node for each tile, you only need nodes at the corners of your buildings. Connect each node to any other node that's line-of-sight to it, then dynamically patch in your start and destination positions.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:39:31 PM »

I split a music track into smallish few second segments, defined a graph where each segment has probabilities to be followed by other segments (a probability-weighted L-system), then wrote a PHP script to output an M3U playlist for the lot. Result: Pre-rendered dynamic music.

Add real-time prediction of the appropriate next segment in a game and you have fully dynamic music. It's rather crude, just stitching Oggs one after another, but works surprisingly well given flexible enough segments of music.
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »

For a bit, I've been planning on doing a project for the NES. To that regard, I've so far made a silly MMC3 tech demo in NESASM, and then I diverted a bit of time into writing my own 6502 assembler in D (originally written in lex/yacc/C++, but I decided to port it after getting fed up with a few things). I will probably add a few features to my assembler down the road (control statements instead of just using goto), but it works for what it does now. I am now designing a world format that will work well on the NES.

My requirements are as follows: low ROM usage, even lower RAM usage, fast to decode, allows bidirectional scrolling (even if it means attribute glitches along the edges due to not having the nametable space unless you're using an MMC5 mapper. I can live). Being the NES, speed and memory are definitely an issue. But far as memory goes, it is usually better to use more ROM than to use up the scarce RAM that the NES has available (2K system RAM, and an optional 8K WRAM depending on cartridge mapper -- this is also used for game saves if battery backed).

Basically, a world consists of maps which in turn have width*height references into common rooms (screen-sized chunks of map which are packed in simple ways -- a mix of uncompressed, RLE, and LZ-style), 4 palette references, tileset references (which are contain 64 tiles that each contain 4 8x8 subpatterns), and pattern references (which basically state which CHR banks to use). I will likely waste 1K of RAM on screen buffer (buffer for 4 rooms, each room is 256 bytes uncompressed), and decode rooms in chunks as they're scrolled into.

I'm currently starting to write a world editor in Qt, which I'm enjoying thusfar (although I'm not far at all yet). I've had previous experience making minor contributions to tiled-qt, but for this, things are sufficiently different that I pretty much need to write things from scratch. Once I get make some interesting progress, I will probably release my tools under a permissive source license (MIT or BSD), and a demo under something similar (although possibly more restrictive separate license on the non-code assets. Has yet to be seen).

I wouldn't normally invest quite as much effort into reinventing a map format if it weren't for the hardware it has to run on, and the fact that I have to decode it later in 6502 assembly (heh).

Anyways, that's what I've been up to for now.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »

Updating my source base from VS 2003 to VS 2008. Having heaps of trouble due to my DLL plugins using STL containers as parameters. Which worked absolutely fine in VS 2003 but falls apart in VS 2008 Sad
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 02:22:10 AM »

I split a music track into smallish few second segments, defined a graph where each segment has probabilities to be followed by other segments (a probability-weighted L-system), then wrote a PHP script to output an M3U playlist for the lot. Result: Pre-rendered dynamic music.

Add real-time prediction of the appropriate next segment in a game and you have fully dynamic music. It's rather crude, just stitching Oggs one after another, but works surprisingly well given flexible enough segments of music.
I did that with markov chains instead of L-systems (so that it could generate infinite series of music) but I found it difficult to locate music samples that worked well. I also tried using it for background effects (repeating drips, tumbleweed, that sort of thing).
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 04:07:45 AM »

I'm writing what seems like it ought to be a trivial function to make a cuboid mesh in Unity (but using controllable mesh resolution rather than just 12 triangles).

So far it's over 200 lines of code (admittedly sharing less than it could) and still doesn't work, but how hard can it be?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic