Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:46:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 210127 times)
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: March 11, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »

Writing a suitable leveling up algorithm for my game,  LV, EXP, and NEXY. Except I'm terrible at math.

Originally the amount of experience required to reach the next level was just the level of the player times 100.

But this was bland. So now I'm hoping to have the current level times 107 since 7 has very little repeatable pattern in leveling up.

I've never programmed an RPG before, and I don't know how the AAA RPG's do this.

There are almost no tutorials online about this, so if anyone can help me, I would very much appreciate it.

Here's some eye candy!

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 13, 2013, 03:13:34 AM »

A boring WordPress implementation. It's a painful break in game development, but a couple of day's boring web programming to generate enough money to support further full-time game development for another 2,5 months or so is well worth it.

cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 13, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

Working on a tile based platformer, making the prototype on flash but will be porting it to android
EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: March 13, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »

Writing a suitable leveling up algorithm for my game,  LV, EXP, and NEXY. Except I'm terrible at math.

Originally the amount of experience required to reach the next level was just the level of the player times 100.

But this was bland. So now I'm hoping to have the current level times 107 since 7 has very little repeatable pattern in leveling up.

I've never programmed an RPG before, and I don't know how the AAA RPG's do this.

There are almost no tutorials online about this, so if anyone can help me, I would very much appreciate it.

Here's some eye candy!

(image snip)

Game design books talk about this kind of stuff a lot.  One piece of advice that I've heard is "when in doubt, start with a triangular progression and see how it feels."  So I'd suggest starting with a triangular progression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_number

It's dumb easy to implement, too.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »

Here's some eye candy!

(image snip)

Game design books talk about this kind of stuff a lot.  One piece of advice that I've heard is "when in doubt, start with a triangular progression and see how it feels."  So I'd suggest starting with a triangular progression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_number

It's dumb easy to implement, too.

I don't know if it's just me, but having a "NEXT 1742" bugs me in that it's not a nice round number, like 10, 15, or 120.  Sad
pgil
« Reply #845 on: March 14, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »

I don't know if it's just me, but having a "NEXT 1742" bugs me in that it's not a nice round number, like 10, 15, or 120.  Sad

I don't play a ton of RPGs, but stats don't usually turn out to be nice, round numbers, do they?
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 14, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »

Coding up message-display manager. Mhmmm. Alot is being added to the whole filesystem.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 14, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »

Mmm, a delicious simplified viewing fustrum on a 2d grid
WafflePilot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #848 on: March 14, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »

I'm working on a jetty-websocket backend for a text based fighting game written in scala
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 15, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »

Finishing touches and bug fixes on a custom parser library for C++.  Allows grammars to be defined inline (ala Boost::Spirit) in forms like:

Code:
Rule r = (a >> b) | *c;   // a followed by b, or 0 or more c's

What's cool is that the same grammar definition can be parsed using a LL parser, LR parser, or even a CYK-like chart parser which can handle any context free grammar, ambiguous or otherwise.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: March 17, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »

Taking another crack at an SVG parser/renderer. Feeling much more focused this time. I'm hoping to have this thing up and running before GDC...dunno if I can do it, but I'll be trying!

VictorGrunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 18, 2013, 02:07:30 AM »

Working on a flixel game, trying to come up with a good algorithm that makes ants walk like ants.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #852 on: March 18, 2013, 02:38:35 AM »

Working on a flixel game, trying to come up with a good algorithm that makes ants walk like ants.

SimAnt had a nice ant AI (doh!). IIRC they've coded an algorithm that modeled scent-following just like real ants do.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: March 18, 2013, 03:24:06 AM »

A local time travel system that solves the paradoxons by bending physical rules to a modified time-continuum domain. Braid did that in a conceptually immature manner to introduce a short living gimmick. What I am doing can have global and lasting consequences for you. It is a research-project for my original metroid-rethought.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: March 18, 2013, 06:09:14 AM »

^ I'm interested in this. When you said "Braid did that", do you mean in general, or with the wedding ring?

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: March 18, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

Swarm Intellegence!

I think

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
Austiyn
« Reply #856 on: March 18, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »

I am currently working on a 'working' state selecter without using slick(in Java). Also, working on a dynamic world where things age. Wink My Word!
Fsmv
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »

I've just started on a php rss reader mostly for myself and possible a few friends because Google Reader is dying and I don't want a new homepage covered in widgets like all the other readers seem to think people want, I just want updates on blogs I read.

I am also working on a video processor meant for concatenating livestreams that have been split into parts and then it can speed them up and make them into a timelapse. The video processing work is done but there might still be some bugs, I'm still planning on making a twitch.tv/justin.tv downloader although it has been almost 3 weeks since I last committed code. You could find the Livestream Processor, I'm calling it LSP, on Github.

Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »

Yo ant guy I have some research/idea stuff for an ant game http://i.cubeupload.com/FAduCN.png I doubt I'll get to make the ant game of my dreams any time soon so feel free to flagrantly rip me off. Obviously I generalized with the ants and termites so I don't think they are specifically from one species, though the ants are based mostly on leaf cutter ants I think.

Also this was a long time ago but this is the kind of nests I was able to procedurally generate:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:16:03 PM by robolee » Logged
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: March 18, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »

Basic 2d lighting effects. Static spots that basically change the saturation of 2d objects when they go over. Something alluring to me about tinting black and white hand-drawn pen scratched sprites in 2d. I don't even have the sprites yet.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic