Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:06:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What are you programming RIGHT NOW?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: What are you programming RIGHT NOW?  (Read 208958 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: March 18, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »

^ I'm interested in this. When you said "Braid did that", do you mean in general, or with the wedding ring?
I am referring to the puzzle where you need to use his shadow in particular.
I am introducing time-travelling as a consistent mechanic with potentially lasting consequences. Each time you travel back is a possibility of replicating yourself. When past reaches to present again your other self/ves is/are as äquivalent to you as you are to each other, thus nothing will disappear. A new thing I am introducing to the time-space continuum is a fundamental property of preserving its "decision-flow". Whenever you travel to the past the world already made its decisions. You can change the results but you cannot affect the decision-flow. In the domain from past to present the world tries to act as if it doesn't see you, it tries to fly through all the decisions already been made despite you can affect and change it.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »

Trying to make something that should be trivial (and done before) and totally failing at it miserably and not knowing why RIGHT NOW

justinfic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: March 18, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »

Currently bouncing back and forth between adding a gesture-based control system to the iOS version of Kung Fu Killforce, and redesigning/coding my throng of websites. The intention is to get it all ready for GDC, so I expect to get halfway on everything, and actually finish none of them. We'll see. I suppose I could focus-fire on one of them, but that is an unacceptably logical solution.

Taking another crack at an SVG parser/renderer. Feeling much more focused this time. I'm hoping to have this thing up and running before GDC...dunno if I can do it, but I'll be trying!

I'm interested in seeing what you're up to with this! SVG files are awesome for level design, and I've always wanted to return to using them.

Twitter | Current Project: Heavy drinking
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »

I am introducing time-travelling as a consistent mechanic with potentially lasting consequences. Each time you travel back is a possibility of replicating yourself. When past reaches to present again your other self/ves is/are as äquivalent to you as you are to each other, thus nothing will disappear.

So what would the past 'selves' do upon reaching the present?

A new thing I am introducing to the time-space continuum is a fundamental property of preserving its "decision-flow". Whenever you travel to the past the world already made its decisions. You can change the results but you cannot affect the decision-flow. In the domain from past to present the world tries to act as if it doesn't see you, it tries to fly through all the decisions already been made despite you can affect and change it.

So, say you see a ball fall in front of a guy, who then kicks it. You go back in time and stop the ball from falling. That won't stop the guy from kicking air, as though the ball were there. Going back in time won't change the course of events (a ball falls, a guy kicks), though you can change the result (the ball was never kicked)...?

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #864 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:20 PM »

building logic brick-like(blender's game engine) scripting for as3/flashpunk in my editor.   trying to wrap my head around reflection programming.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: March 19, 2013, 12:24:33 AM »

I am introducing time-travelling as a consistent mechanic with potentially lasting consequences. Each time you travel back is a possibility of replicating yourself. When past reaches to present again your other self/ves is/are as äquivalent to you as you are to each other, thus nothing will disappear.

So what would the past 'selves' do upon reaching the present?

A new thing I am introducing to the time-space continuum is a fundamental property of preserving its "decision-flow". Whenever you travel to the past the world already made its decisions. You can change the results but you cannot affect the decision-flow. In the domain from past to present the world tries to act as if it doesn't see you, it tries to fly through all the decisions already been made despite you can affect and change it.

So, say you see a ball fall in front of a guy, who then kicks it. You go back in time and stop the ball from falling. That won't stop the guy from kicking air, as though the ball were there. Going back in time won't change the course of events (a ball falls, a guy kicks), though you can change the result (the ball was never kicked)...?
What past selves will do depends on the situation. If all of them are robots everyone gets the same operating signal. All of them will react to input in the same way. If all of them are people there is one factor separating them, everyone has a unique location. And everyone has the äquivalent right to claim he is the "real" self. What happens from here is an interesting thought-provoking journey for your mind.

Yes, the boy will try to kick the ball no matter what happens, he eventually slips and breaks his leg, the decision flow is still preserved, no matter how crazy it sounds to you. In a game when you run towards a direction, travel back in time and block the way, your previous self will still try to run towards the previous direction.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: March 20, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »

Attempting a procedural mesh generator for the surface of a cube with a maze wrapped around it. Instead of just one quad, each face is a grid of vertices that are dynamically texture mapped using the map created for a level. The upshot is that instead of seeing a grid texture on the surface, you see paths with coherent borders.

The exit will be an actual hole in the ground instead of this weird meaningless sphere. More miniature-golf-y that way.

(I think) all the building blocks are there - base code, data structuring, etc. Might need to do up some pathway cell textures. What I'm not so sure about is how much of a load the extra vertices add to the rendering. Also I leave for GDC in two days and have a couple of things to take care of for that. It's in its own MonoBehaviour by design, so I can just disable or remove it if it is not working by the time I'm in SF so that I can have a working build to show people.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »

Trying to implement basic multiplayer.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Yeah, that.
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 21, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »

Trying to implement basic multiplayer.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

If online and not turn-based, you should totally read the Gafferon Games networking articles.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 21, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »

Input examples for the Loom game engine.  It's been kinda fun, may actually use this engine for my own production work in the near future.
George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: March 21, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

If online and not turn-based, you should totally read the Gafferon Games networking articles.

Read those when I was just researching socket-based networking in games, ended up using ENet as a network library. Just got it working and I'm so happy :D

Yeah, that.
bartekci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 23, 2013, 04:46:21 AM »

Did a bunch of stuff with gamejs  and box2d.

Now it's a big mess and I need to make it into something more re-usable!
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: March 24, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »

Started doing path finding for my FPS game. Smiley

Master of all trades.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:34 AM »

the horror  Screamy
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: March 24, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »

Currently my game don't do much but still occupy the 4 CPU cores and does a lot of locking and oversubscription, which was what I was expecting anyway. Now I'm just fixing this by removing locking (using task queues) and introducing some sleeping when nothing have to be done on some specific threads.

LizardWizard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 25, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »

Writing some controllers  for my 4X 2d game based on a spatial vision of the Hawkmoon univers. Today, ships can travel between planets, dock, undock and that the notion of "turn" works.
I can list some of these controllers: DockController, TravelController, DiplomacyController, EconomyController, BattleController.
I enjoy this part of the dev and  watching things like the DockController asking an authorization to the DiplomacyController to perform a docking operation.

I work with Python and Pyglet as opengl framework.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: March 26, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »

JSnake: sounds like Chronoton.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #877 on: March 28, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »

Distilling AS3 utility code from my games back to 2010 to unify in a library.

I always end up wasting time redoing from scratch things like: math (specially working w/angles), algebra, formations, shape rasterization, loading from url, box 2d integration, fast particle system, state machines, entity streaming, cached asset repositories, audio priority manager, audio synth, etc.

And lately I've noticed new code doesn't get better from learned experience, but messier & ugly because I just want to move on to the "make a game" part instead of an engine.
I copy code from other projects, patching it ad-hoc and I never know in which project was the best version for each feature.

Working on HeliBrawl
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 29, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »

If you only need to sort an array of ints then use quicksort. It has O(n*logn) complexity... It's built-in in pretty much any language.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: March 29, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »

Made my game (if you can call that a game already...) all different cpu cores with equally distributed workload.

Now back to graphic code.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic